Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trust fund for child in broken down relationship.

• 27-05-2021 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

As the title says really.

Does anybody know what is involved in setting up a trust.. I am hoping it's not a massively complex process costing thousands and reserved for the rich and famous..

Thanks a lot all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Answering the question asked, your friend may be talking about a "bare trust" whereby the policy would be paid for by him but for the benefit of the child. If he paid in 3k per annum, he would be able to take advantage of the annual small gift exemption such that if he paid in for ten years and ignoring growth, the 30k wouldn't contribute to the child's lifetime CAT threshold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Browney7 wrote: »
    Answering the question asked, your friend may be talking about a "bare trust" whereby the policy would be paid for by him but for the benefit of the child. If he paid in 3k per annum, he would be able to take advantage of the annual small gift exemption such that if he paid in for ten years and ignoring growth, the 30k wouldn't contribute to the child's lifetime CAT threshold.

Thank you Browney - that's interesting. Any idea on costs to set something up. Are there not also tax benefits on the income that has been used to put into the trust. Can you not contribute to the trust from gross income? I was under that impression.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

*** Mod Warning ***

I have cleaned up this one. Stick to the financial topic and no more family law related stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Jim2007 wrote: »
    *** Mod Warning ***

I have cleaned up this one. Stick to the financial topic and no more family law related stuff.

Thanks. It had actually dawned on me to perhaps request that and you beat me to it. Cheers.

Advertisement