Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Schemes that allow you to stay in same place

Options
  • 27-05-2021 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I have children in school. I don't want to move them but I am a junior doctor that needs to choose a scheme. I don't want to be moving them around the next 10 years. What training schemes/posts would allow me to stay in the same place long term?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

Radiology would be the best bet as it is all done at the one clinical site. Some GP schemes are also spread across a small enough area. Public health I think may also be like this but not sure on that one. Clinical genetics may also be but I think you had to have a CCBST in another specialty first.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

If you're not based in Dublin, this is going to be very difficult.

As above, GP training schemes can have very well defined regions and may be commutable. This only works if you're happy to become a GP though.

Though I'll admit that it's not the common pathway anymore, there isn't really a need to do a scheme. You could work in whichever site is most convenient for you for the time being and then look into training when it suits you better.

I'm not aware of many training programmes where you wouldn't be expected to move around. Certainly, med, surg, emergency move a lot.

Being Dublin based makes this a lot easier. So if you got the Dublin (North/South) histopathology scheme for example, you'd spend nearly all of your time (bar 6 months) in those sites.

What specialties interest you?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

Arbie wrote: »
    Clinical genetics may also be but I think you had to have a CCBST in another specialty first.

No, that follows the same pathway as all the other medical schemes except the BST can be in either med or paeds. Curriculum is here.

Advertisement