Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Club Declines

• 27-05-2021 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭

See something about elsewehre and got me thinking.

What clubs decline makes you sad for nostalgic reasons etc

A few for me.

Parma. Most of it was self inflicted by owners etc But during the 90s what teams they had. One of the first non Irish players i remember was Tomas Brolin. In the early 90s there was no one better in my mind. Zola, Asprilla the list goes one. Again in the late 90s was another level. Buffon, Cannavaro, Thuram, Verón, Crespo

Fiorentina

While they didn't win a whole pile but again in the 90s with Batistuta, Rui Costa. I also don't think there's been a team with more iconic jerseys then they had the 7UP, Nintendo and Toyota ones :cool:

Deportivo de La Coruña

The way things are going wtih them there's a good chance they'll never again be heard of. Diego Tristán, Fran, Roy Makaay

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭bassy

great time for man city in regards of champions lge,the could pick up 2 or 3 in the next 5yrs.why?,cause spanish club footy is in a state likes of real barca etc and german club footbal who is there bayern munich and there in a state also.
    pep will know this to and be eyeing up a few champions leagues in the short coming years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Always had a soft spot for Schalke. Been relegated just ten years after a CL semi final. Massively in debt so going to be a struggle.

I'm sure our resident HSV fan will be able to shine a light on how they're now facing a fourth consecutive season in the 2. Bundesliga. They were in the last semi-finals of the Europa League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You could add 10 former or current league of Ireland clubs to this.

Kaiserslautern and Sunderland come to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

You could add 10 former or current league of Ireland clubs to this.

Kaiserslautern and Sunderland come to mind

Forest are another in that vain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

In England - Blackburn - only prem winners not currently in prem. deportivo in Spain - they had a great few champs league runs !.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

None really. It’s great that clubs can rise and fall. It adds to the drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    In England - Blackburn - only prem winners not currently in prem. deportivo in Spain - they had a great few champs league runs !.

I wouldn't include Blackburn as a club decline at all. They had their day in the sun in the early to mid nineties under Jack Walker and back down they went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

There are 4 clubs in league two that I can remember being top flight Oldham Bradford Carlisle and Bolton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Didnt realise Deportivo had fallen to 3rd tier - Remember seeing them playing Shels at Lansdowne around the turn of the Century - starring Wes Houlahan .

Coverntry and Sheffield Wednesday are two teams who have fallen on hard times since 90's , Wednesday in particular had all the makings of a top club , think it all went downhill when DiCanio left , and also just relegated to 3rd tier .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

monkey9 wrote: »
    I wouldn't include Blackburn as a club decline at all. They had their day in the sun in the early to mid nineties under Jack Walker and back down they went.
    Dead right. Jack Walker was happy to throw money at the club but his goal was to make the club self sufficient which was impossible as Blackburn is a town not a city. It was never going to happen and his sons had no interest when Jack moved on so they just sold it. I didn't realise Bolton are all the way down in league 2 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Werder Bremen are another big German name who have been on the decline for a few years and are now deep in the sh*t. Their finances were in a precarious position at the beginning of 2020 but the pandemic has ruined them and their relegation last week is another huge blow. I think they lost €30m in total last year and needed a €20m loan to stay afloat. There was talk of them having trouble receiving an unconditional license to compete and they could end up with a points deduction.
    Always had a soft spot for Schalke. Been relegated just ten years after a CL semi final. Massively in debt so going to be a struggle.

There's a good English article about what went wrong at Schalke here if anyone wants the full story - https://www.dw.com/en/schalke-relegated-from-the-bundesliga-the-inside-story-of-a-royal-case-of-the-blues/a-57184763-0

They've just signed Simon Terodde from us, so they should be sorted goal-wise. They will probably go all out over the summer with signings as they aren't in a position to spend 4 years in this league like HSV. They need to go back up or they're more likely to end up in the Regionalliga due to licencing problems.
    I'm sure our resident HSV fan will be able to shine a light on how they're now facing a fourth consecutive season in the 2. Bundesliga. They were in the last semi-finals of the Europa League.

It's impossible to win in Hamburg. It has to be a mental thing when you break down our league performances because the players are clearly talented enough.
    In the first half of the season (the Hinrunde) our positions have been 1st, 2nd and 1st the past 3 seasons. Everything goes well up until January/February.
    Then the second half of the season (the Rückrunde) starts and our positions have been 15th, 7th and 11th. The pressure starts to build in the new year and the team collapses. They can't handle it.

Until some fans and the media stop pressuring the team with attitudes like "you must win", "you must be promoted this year" & "HSV should be in the Bundesliga" we'll be trapped here or fall lower into the 3.Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

thebaz wrote: »
    Didnt realise Deportivo had fallen to 3rd tier - Remember seeing them playing Shels at Lansdowne around the turn of the Century - starring Wes Houlahan .

Coverntry
    and Sheffield Wednesday are two teams who have fallen on hard times since 90's , Wednesday in particular had all the makings of a top club , think it all went downhill when DiCanio left , and also just relegated to 3rd tier .

I think you can definitely put Coventry in a different category than the likes of Blackburn in these conversations.

Coventry spent 34 years on the trot in the top flight between 1967 and 2001.
    Blackburn were only there a wet week compared to that.

Southampton were somewhat the same, spent 27 years straight in the top flight before going all the way down to the third tier
    But the difference with Southampton is they managed to get back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

1860 Munich is another one. Now in the third tier and had to sell their stake in Allianz arena to city rivals Bayern. Edit just noticed they don't even play in Allianz anymore

Valencia are on a serious decline since the Rafa Benitez days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Tottenham Hotspur

Double Winners 1960-61 and still waiting of another league title 60 years later despite being in the top division for all but 1 of those 60 seasons.

During this time Ipswich, Derby, Everton, Man City (pre lotto), Forest, Villa, Leicester, Leeds & Blackburn have all won league titles.

We're cursed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

Tottenham Hotspur

Double Winners 1960-61 and still waiting of another league title 50 years later despite being in the top division for all but 1 of those 50 seasons.

During this time Ipswich, Derby, Everton, Man City (pre lotto), Forest, Villa, Leicester, Leeds & Blackburn have all won league titles.

We're cursed :(

Have news for you….. it’s 60 years :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

eigrod wrote: »
    Have news for you….. it’s 60 years :)

haha feels more like 70 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

haha feels more like 70 :)

Hardly a decline, 2 years ago in CL final - playing the 3rd tier like Deporitvo and Wednesday now thats a decline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

cms88 wrote: »
    See something about elsewehre and got me thinking.

What clubs decline makes you sad for nostalgic reasons etc

A few for me.

Parma. Most of it was self inflicted by owners etc But during the 90s what teams they had. One of the first non Irish players i remember was Tomas Brolin. In the early 90s there was no one better in my mind. Zola, Asprilla the list goes one. Again in the late 90s was another level. Buffon, Cannavaro, Thuram, Verón, Crespo

Fiorentina

While they didn't win a whole pile but again in the 90s with Batistuta, Rui Costa. I also don't think there's been a team with more iconic jerseys then they had the 7UP, Nintendo and Toyota ones :cool:

Deportivo de La Coruña

The way things are going wtih them there's a good chance they'll never again be heard of. Diego Tristán, Fran, Roy Makaay

Ok Parma were a new club ala PSG only really founded I think in 70s.

They had money of Parmalat behind them, they owned them.
    They used to sponsor Brabham BMW F1 team in early 80s and were winning world championships.
    Parma is not big, but the money Parmalat had was massive, but they were still selling best players especially to Juve.

Then Parmalat were found to be doing an Enron or was it a Worldcom and fiddling the books.

Fiorentina were big when all Italian soccer was big.
    They sold Baggio to Juve and without Batistuta they weren't that great.

La Coruna and Valencia spent a fortune they didn't actually have to compete with the great Real Galacticos and Barca.

The day of a small town/city club (Forest, Ipswich) without a massive backer is now very rare.
    It is now almost impossible for those type of clubs to do anything without some big backer.

The owner of little Villarreal is a billionaire who owns a chunk of Mercadona.
    It would be like one of the Musgraves owning Cobh Wanderers in Irish terms.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Kinda take a morbid satisfaction with Charlton's fall through the divisions. Alan Curbishley worked wonders with a very limited budget to keep them consistently in the upper half of the PL for years and years. They usually played good football, and he seemed like a decent chap, too. Their fans got a little bored with the lack of drama at the club (I assume not fighting relegation every year is boring?), so they essentially wanted a change. Curbishley left and they immediately plummeted. A real case of careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Not sure if this answers the question properly but the decline of leagues like the Scottish Premier league as a whole comes to my mind.

I know it was and always will be a two horse race up there, but the two Glasgow teams were close to on par with the top of the Premier league during the late 80's early 90's.

If you look back at England squads it wouldn't of been out of place to have seen a Rangers player or two in the team.

There was always a debate of "where would Rangers and Celtic finish in the Premier league" and if you asked in the 90's and said anywhere from 3rd down to 8th you might have been right. Nowadays you'd be optimistic to say they would compete in the Premier league, they'd certainly be relegation fodder.

In my head the last time I looked at either Celtic or Rangers as being a big European power was when Larson left. They never attracted big names after that. They certainly still had moments after that, but the fact that we can list off Rangers Uefa Cup run to the final or Celtic beating Barcelona sort of proves my point, they were the exceptions that proved the rule that Scotland isn't a big league anymore. And its sad, and really down to the Premier league eating it up.

I suppose I'm really more nostalgic for the idea of a Red Star Belgrade, Steaua Bucharest or the idea of someone like Rangers or Celtic being able to compete with the big leagues in Europe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement