Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs outdoor from June 7th.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

On the Harcourt Street topic, Everleigh Garden is no more; having been converted to a gym for the Dean, at least according to the Business Post. No way it could have opened any time soon anyway.

Gravediggers are saying July. Still not a huge number of pubs stating they won't be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Would people have recommendations of places in the D2 area that should hopefully be open that would be large enough to be likely to take walk-ins?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Off tpoic posts removed.
    Covid thread is thattaway---->

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Car park of the Yacht Clontarf has been mostly taken over by benches with coverings.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Walked down Francis st earlier, the Liberty Belle and Anti-Social have commandeered some of the parking spots outside their respective establishments, and have setup covered areas presumably for seating for next week

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Whats the point in drinking in a pub outdoors and paying well over the odds for drink ?

You might as well just buy a few cans and find somewhere outdoors to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Any recommendations for ones that do Full Irish and breakfast beers?

Big Gerry wrote: »
    Whats the point in drinking in a pub outdoors and paying well over the odds for drink ?

You might as well just buy a few cans and find somewhere outdoors to drink.

Toilets. Draught. Beer that continues to be serving temperature each time rather than gradually gets warmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

pottokblue wrote: »
    Any recommendations for ones that do Full Irish and breakfast beers?

Might be a bit out for you, but I think the Clonsilla Inn are doing breakfast?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭francois

The Gate Bar & Birchall's were doing outdoor in Crumlin yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ChampagneFever

The Beachcomber in Killester are open. They have cordoned off part of the parking spaces in front of the pub and have a few benches/tables..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The Beachcomber in Killester are open. They have cordoned off part of the parking spaces in front of the pub and have a few benches/tables..
    I was on my way to SuperValu tonight and I heard all these voices talking and was thinking, "Sounds like some big outside group - is someone having a house gathering on a Tuesday night?" .. Until I saw the Beachcomber and went, "Oh yeah - people are allowed sit outside pubs again!"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I cycled past the Beachcomber yesterday, those outside tables and chairs are pretty horrible! Heavy traffic going past you and you're in the middle of a busy car park, no thanks. The whole of Killester "village" is just a clusterf*ck of cars parked all over the place or in random places with their hazards on.
    The Harry B's setup is good though, if you can get a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

ixoy wrote: »
    I was on my way to SuperValu tonight and I heard all these voices talking and was thinking, "Sounds like some big outside group - is someone having a house gathering on a Tuesday night?" .. Until I saw the Beachcomber and went, "Oh yeah - people are allowed sit outside pubs again!"

Full again this evening. Surprised really. Wouldn't be my cup of tea sitting drinking in the middle of a car park of a wednesday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Passed the racecourse in baldoyle earlier and they've taken over a chunk of the carpark with the cheapest tackiest looking plywood outdoor seating area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

They own a few of car spaces apparently? There's a cafe and barbers going there instead in September.

They've done their best to cover up the awful plywood though. :)

raheny red wrote: »

Can of petrol and a box of matches would be an improvement. A pub that's stuck back in 1990s Roddy doyle land

Obviously the football clubs in question *are* English, but flags for them exist without having the English flag as the background ffs

Might make a few of those who claim to be nationalist/republican through and through and support an English team remember that difficulty in their personality, but probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

They own a few of car spaces apparently? There's a cafe and barbers going there instead in September.

the absolute state of that "Done their best"? You'd prefer the plywood

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Obviously the football clubs in question *are* English, but flags for them exist without having the English flag as the background ffs

Might make a few of those who claim to be nationalist/republican through and through and support an English team remember that difficulty in their personality, but probably not.

The Racecourse would be a place that's packed to the rafters with die hard Man U/Liverpool fans who will be praying for England to lose in the Euros and hate the Queen etc.
    The absolute state of those flags!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

What's happening in the city centre? From what I understand there are closed streets on Merrion Row, Capel St/Parliament St. and around South William St. So guessing pubs at these locations have decent capacity?

Were bookings required over the weekend (saturday evenings specifically) or are most places walk in only?

What's happening in the city centre? From what I understand there are closed streets on Merrion Row, Capel St/Parliament St. and around South William St. So guessing pubs at these locations have decent capacity?

Were bookings required over the weekend (saturday evenings specifically) or are most places walk in only?

Not sure if you can make bookings but there were queues yesterday at 5pm for places on Parliament St, so I'd imagine it's a mare on a Friday or Saturday trying to get a table.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Had a few pints in Toners yesterday. Very well run and table service excellent overall. People with no bookings being turned away early but as the evening wore on and people left, walk ins got seated.

We actually stopped for a couple in Dohenys out the front before going across to toners for our booking and there was no issue getting served.

I'm enjoying this side of the "new normal".

I need a drink from just looking at that place. Jes*s, that's grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Had dinner at 5pm on South William Street on Saturday, restaurant only allowed 90 minute booking. Tried many many places after for drinks, not a hope. That's South William Street, St Stephen's Green bars, Merrion Row, both Baggot Streets and McGrattans, either flat no or long queues and that was only 7pm. Won't bother with town again until indoors is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Managed to get a table on Saturday but they were very strict on takeaway pints; took me 45 minutes to get a drink. The places where the street parties are have really clamped down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Managed to get a table on Saturday but they were very strict on takeaway pints; took me 45 minutes to get a drink. The places where the street parties are have really clamped down.

45 mins. That's a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It's interesting how some places really make the effort with their outdoor set ups with proper dividers adorned with attractive greenery, weathetproof awnings, heat lamps etc while others just have a few plastic or metal tables and chairs from Dealz thrown together next to their smelly skip on a busy footpath with no segregation or shelter yet you're generally paying the same price to experience both types of venues.

• Advertisement

Youd have to question though over the next few years if loads of outdoor spaces are required and if its worth the pubs who may not have provided outside or limited outside space will still do it in the future as things ease back to a 2019 type lifestyle (hopefully). While the Racecourse in Baldoyle above looks like a cheap pile of ****e they never did outdoors except for a small smoking area and with the size of the pub they may want people back indoors in future so a massive outlay may be a waste of money in the long term. Plus we dont have the weather for all year round outdoors drinking/eating. Some colder countries might get away with heaters and blankets in the ice and snow of mid december but who wants to be outside in a howling gale & pissing rain in Ireland having a few

Advertisement