Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President condemns brutal old IRA execution of elderly woman

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭skallywag

guy2231 wrote: »
    Funny you say this now when earlier me and you were spouting the same nonsense against the old IRA you were actually singing my praises.

You really think I was singing your praises?

Is this thread an attempt at an exercise in creative writing since your junior cert is not going ahead?

• Site Banned Posts: 339 ✭✭guy2231

skallywag wrote: »
    You really think I was singing your praises?

Is this thread an attempt at an exercise in creative writing since your junior cert is not going ahead?

You seem very bitter ever since I changed sides of the argument are you alright?

You had no problem with me earlier on in the thread when we were both teaming up spouting pro British anti Irish nonsense together.

You seem very bitter ever since I changed sides of the argument are you alright?

You had no problem with me earlier on in the thread when we were both teaming up spouting pro British anti Irish nonsense together.

What did I say that was anti-irish?

Do you regularly do a complete u-turn every few minutes? One minute want mummy to make you chicken nuggets for dinner, then pizza the next ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭maccored

What did I say that was anti-irish?

Do you regularly do a complete u-turn every few minutes? One minute want mummy to make you chicken nuggets for dinner, then pizza the next ...

did you hear a whoosh as the whole thread went right over your head?

maccored wrote: »
    did you hear a whoosh as the whole thread went right over your head?

If the purpose of the thread is to discuss nothing at all relevant to the original point, then I guess you have me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

If the purpose of the thread is to discuss nothing at all relevant to the original point, then I guess you have me.

Youve had yourself.

When he was talking like a Unionist saying the old IRA were as big a terrorists as the provos and committed as much violence you could not get enough of him.

He is still making the same point from another perspective and you have gone full Eoghan Harris on him

Discussing nothing at all? Me and you were discussing our hatred for the IRA for the first ten pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I have yet to see a valid argument differentiating the two groups

Well the Old IRA kinda deliberately triggered the insurgency against British Rule by shooting dead two RIC men whereas the Troubles was brought to bear on the Irish people in the north by the RIC's descendants in the RUC, as well as Unionist terrorists.

So there's that.

Me and you were discussing our hatred for the IRA for the first ten pages.

You seem to have a skill at jumping to conclusions.

My point is that the IRA are the IRA, and I do not agree that the 'old' prefix has any real meaning, and most certainly not in any attempt at sentimental sugar-coating.

I am really not sure where you are assuming my 'hatred of the IRA' from though? Plenty will concede that the acts of 100 years ago were just as horrific as any acts in the 70s or 80s, but that does not necessarily mean that they do not still hold sympathy to those actions, or even condone them to a degree.

tipptom wrote: »
    [/B]When he was talking like a Unionist saying the old IRA were as big a terrorists as the provos and committed as much violence you could not get enough of him.

I believe that you need to take a re-read of exactly what I said.

I pointed out in no uncertain terms how the 'old' IRA behaved, but you seem to be intent on using this to force me into a box to agree with the OP? (which the OP also seems deluded enough to believe).

Where have I agreed with the OP? Have I mentioned, or even hinted, that someone somewhere should be standing up and making apologies for the same?

Is it not conceivable to you that one can state that the IRA of 100 years ago were vicious, without insisting for an apology for the same?

• Advertisement

You seem to have a skill at jumping to conclusions.

My point is that the IRA are the IRA, and I do not agree that the 'old' prefix has any real meaning, and most certainly not in any attempt at sentimental sugar-coating.

I am really not sure where you are assuming my 'hatred of the IRA' from though? Plenty will concede that the acts of 100 years ago were just as horrific as any acts in the 70s or 80s, but that does not necessarily mean that they do not still hold sympathy to those actions, or even condone them to a degree.

I very much respect that opinion, at least you seem informed enough on the subject to not glamourise one or the other like some posters on here who glamourise one while demonising the other for doing the exact same things as the other.

Advertisement