Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing lawn after construction

Options
  • 28-05-2021 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭

Hi, we recently had an extension built out the back. Lawn was used as a prep and storage area for the builders and is a bit of a mess now. Two big problems...

1. Lots of gravel/stones on the lawns, I’ve tried brushing, any other idea for removing?

2. Drainage seems to have gone. Never had puddles in the past, now water gathers on top rather than seeping though. The earth doesn’t look too bad, still some grass growing through but probably some cement spilled on it. Is it worth my while trying the break it down with a pitchfork or should I relay? And if I relay on top of that will it just move the problems down a few inches.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ec_pc

Was in a similar position recently, ended up rotavating it, removed lots of blocks etc and got in a few tonnes of topsoil.

Seeded three weeks ago and I now have a lovely new green lawn. A few small patches to re-seed tomorrow, but I think in another week it might need to be topped with the mower.

I tried to patch together a bit of the lawn elsewhere as you described above and I was just wasting my time.

Do it once and do it right!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭standardg60

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Hi, we recently had an extension built out the back. Lawn was used as a prep and storage area for the builders and is a bit of a mess now. Two big problems...

1. Lots of gravel/stones on the lawns, I’ve tried brushing, any other idea for removing?

2. Drainage seems to have gone. Never had puddles in the past, now water gathers on top rather than seeping though. The earth doesn’t look too bad, still some grass growing through but probably some cement spilled on it. Is it worth my while trying the break it down with a pitchfork or should I relay? And if I relay on top of that will it just move the problems down a few inches.

Thanks

I wouldn't do anything drastic just yet, obviously the lawn suffered by being temporarily compacted and covered, but the weather in May hasn't helped in aiding recovery. A good warm spell should make a big difference. A good stiff yard brush and plenty of elbow grease is the best way of removing the gravel (sound like typically non considerate builders btw), and yes forking (pushing the fork in and giving it a wiggle before removing) will help the drainage in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

I had a similar issue a few years ago, let it dry and rotovate it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111226083

Advertisement