Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on homeless services (or other options)

Options
  • 28-05-2021 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi,

I am from Dublin and, last year, my (then) landlord decided to give us a few months notice that he would be moving us out of his property. He was reconstituting it for commercial purposes as it was, in fact, a commercial space with an apartment attached. I moved out and, as I couldn't find anywhere affordable in Dublin, I ended up in Donegal on a short-term agreement with a friend of a friend. I moved into a 1-bedroom cottage in West Donegal which I was given on a gentleman's agreement until the end of this month (May 2021). I found a new place nearby, again, a friend of a friend, but, at the last minute, realised that it would not be fit to rent until mid-August. So I'm trying to figure out how to bridge the gap until then.

I am 30 years old and was a full-time musician until Covid hit. I was on the PUP payment but jumped off it to go onto Jobseeker's Allowance so that I could upskill by doing some courses. In the interim I have obtained a coach and rigid truck licence and have been looking for work but, unfortunately, I have had no success with any job applications in Donegal. I can stay with a friend in Sligo for a few weeks and have been looking for work there. I got some potential options but it might mean permanently relocating. There is a bus company in Donegal that says work could be there in September and I'm kind of hoping that I can go back up to that place in mid-August, move in and pick up said work. I'm just a bit stressed at the moment and don't know what is the best thing to do.

I don't smoke or have any addiction issues. I do have a car which is a necessity for where I live. My JA payment is also much lower than the normal (€173 per week due to a means test and an overpayment from last year). I wish I could ask a direct question here but my whole plan is up in the air as I don't really know what's the best idea. Forgive me if this sounds very childish. It was an unprecedented situation. I'm not on here looking for answers to my problems but, rather, suggestions on who I should get in touch with. Perhaps homeless services in the north west, county councils or voluntary organisations. I don't have a room at my parents' place in Dublin and I can't really over-stay my welcome in Sligo as it's with my friends' very large family.

I know it'll be fine but I've been a little self-conscious about reaching out to any of my own circle as (a) I don't want to burden them and (b) I don't really know where to begin or what to aim for.

Ideally, I'd like to settle somewhere in North West, pick up some driving and/or music work and just see how things pan out for a while. It's just very difficult when you're trying to do both things at the same time and earning so little. Thanks a million for reading and apologies if all of this is a little bit much.

Advertisement