Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price increases.

Options
  • 28-05-2021 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭

Anyone notice massive price increases in materials and labour, steel cement and wood all up at least 30-50%. Tarmac/Asphalt expected to rise in the next few weeks.
    Labour costs gone through the roof heard today groundworkers are getting upto €30 per hour. Its all going to end in tears I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭billy_beckham

macadam wrote: »
    Anyone notice massive price increases in materials and labour, steel cement and wood all up at least 30-50%. Tarmac/Asphalt expected to rise in the next few weeks.
    Labour costs gone through the roof heard today groundworkers are getting upto €30 per hour. Its all going to end in tears I think.

Trying to get prices on an extension/renovation job at the moment. 1 guy I spoke to said he is struggling to source any and all materials.. He reckons its mad, he did our planning etc so is willing to try continue with us but says he's not taking on any more work as he just can't source stuff, regardless of price.

Hopefully it's only a temporary lag, and when supply chains are fully back up and running it will ease?

Labour is stable though he said??

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

macadam wrote: »

Yes, re materials, shortages driven by last year’s manufacturing slow downs. Can’t comment re labour, 30p/hr self employed? Or paye?

BryanF wrote: »
    Yes, re materials, shortages driven by last year’s manufacturing slow downs. Can’t comment re labour, 30p/hr self employed? Or paye?

Is the situation expected to right itself in the medium term?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

PAYE, its mental, but was heading that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭enricoh

Yeah it's nuts, big shortage of anything plastic as well. A mate of mine works for roadstone n they had no 4" solids the last time I was talking to him! Said it was quiet as they had no materials to sell and there was no tradesmen available to do patios etc for people, they're booked solid.

Talking to a lad on the pup e350 a week and a couple of nixers and happy out. He would have been on sites for 20years + n no intention of going near one again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Panjandrums

Even big subcontractors are having trouble sourcing material, blocks, paving, steel and insulation.

Wages are certainly only going one way, plenty of groundworkers coming out with 800 Net a week or 60k gross.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

got a call from a guy yesterday whos pouring a foundation today... couldnt get A393 anywhere!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Priced a self build early 2020, re-priced it there over the last few days - reckon the new price is about 150-160% of last years, that's not even including some recent material increases, I know prices never go down as such, but going to hold off for some sort of correction - we just can't afford it now.

Work in steel myself, purchase price of certain sections is double what they were before xmas, that's if you can get them, this is madness.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    got a call from a guy yesterday whos pouring a foundation today... couldnt get A393 anywhere!!!

Got two sheets of it yesterday plenty in stock in Co Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Slanty

While I don’t mind a spike, but once the prices go up they will never come down.

I’m afraid a recession is the only way we will see prices back in the affordable range.

• Advertisement

Slanty wrote: »
    While I don’t mind a spike, but once the prices go up they will never come down.

I’m afraid a recession is the only way we will see prices back in the affordable range.

Surely laws of supply and demand should see a reduction of some sort? As previously mentioned can't last...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭enricoh

Dunno how true it is but I heard from a rep that suppliers are not stocking as much stuff as they expect the whole building lark to go bang again and don't want mega millions of stock on the books.

Iirc I read 60% of new builds are now bought with government money or bought by others to rent out to the government. Doesn't take a genius to see that as unsustainable so maybe there's a nugget of truth in it.

I know steel increases have nothing to do with Ireland just a shortage worldwide.

Its getting to the stage I am advising customers to supply materials on special works like granite natural stone etc, the risk of price increases is too much to take. Im currently quoting for 30 days yet I have 4 months work on. So Im covered I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Stan27

Any predictions on if the price's will level off in six months time? (thats when Im planning to start building)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭CalisGirl

I'm in the market for wooden flooring needed for September. When I went to get a quotation last week, I was told prices should have reduced by then. And that the current price rise was due to increased shipping costs and delays coming into Ireland because of Brexit.

The seller, who mostly does wholesale said there was no point getting a quotation now as price for Aug/September would be very different and probably lower.

CalisGirl wrote: »
    I'm in the market for wooden flooring needed for September. When I went to get a quotation last week, I was told prices should have reduced by then. And that the current price rise was due to increased shipping costs and delays coming into Ireland because of Brexit.

The seller, who mostly does wholesale said there was no point getting a quotation now as price for Aug/September would be very different and probably lower.

Comforting.. Fingers crossed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That supplier is the only one in the country saying this.
    I think he doesn’t want to quite now as there’s no point as your not buying now.

Prices will be higher in September.

Gumbo wrote: »
    That supplier is the only one in the country saying this.
    I think he doesn’t want to quite now as there’s no point as your not buying now.

Prices will be higher in September.

Is there no hope of a stabilisation, in your opinion?

Personally I think/hope supply will improve and the laws of supply and demand will kick in....

If not we're heading for another bust..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Personally I think/hope supply will improve and the laws of supply and demand will kick in....

I am in your camp.

I think prices will stabilise in the next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

ordered steel mesh back in early May - €90 a sheet
    tried to order same mesh off same company yesterday €125

crazy

steel is going to keep going up and up as the USA have put in huge orders for it with Biden's large infrastructure plans, so worldwide there is going to be a shortage

• Advertisement

Any update on the supply of materials on the ground folks?

Still mad or any sign of an improvement?

Interesting, 2 of the articles say a 10-15k increase to cost of the average 3 bed semi will be the result of the increases.

Yet a couple of builders i have spoken to about an extension/renovation job are talking multiples of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭horsey63

Interesting, 2 of the articles say a 10-15k increase to cost of the average 3 bed semi will be the result of the increases.

Yet a couple of builders i have spoken to about an extension/renovation job are talking multiples of that?

ditto here !! single storey 25sqm extension, plus new windows for a 3 bedroom house and insulation...well over 200k yikes !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

horsey63 wrote: »
    ditto here !! single storey 25sqm extension, plus new windows for a 3 bedroom house and insulation...well over 200k yikes !
    jesus! anyone would have to be nuts to pay that sort of money...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Priced some steel plating for a job a few weeks back. 25mm thick. Came in at €2100. Nearly went for the bottle of brandy. Was advised it was overkill and to size down. Went back 2 days later to price 15mm plate €1800. Considering a 40% thickness/weight reduction why wasn't there a 40% price reduction?
    Iron ore price has almost doubled in12 months so steel price won't be dropping anytime soon.
    Was looking for a ballpark quote for corrugated roof sheets. Had to give up to ringing. Didn't get a single price.
    There's a certain amount of price gouging going on in my opinion. 2" hard-core 23 tonne delivered €480. Talking to a driver with another Readymix supplier said they were €4 a tonne cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It's down to sea freight costs. Our company got a bill for a 40ft last month for $18,000. It used to be about $2000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Jesus Christ, wtf is happening ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Twofeet

Recycle, recycle, recycle ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Rang to get a price on a shed and was told 1600

Said no problem, I'll ring back next week to pay

Rang back 1 week later and it was gone up 15% and was told unless I buy then it will go up another 15% in a few weeks , she was saying their suppliers are upcoming costs due to material shortage

Same with slabs out my front for paving, was told 700 for the job and then the guy rang me back and said it's actually 900 now due to materials

Ffs

Advertisement