Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black aphids and Hypericum

Options
  • 28-05-2021 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

I noticed a plant in my garden which I believe is Hypericum is swarmed with a black aphid like insects.

Any suggestions as how to get rid of them, I sprayed them with soapy water, but it didnt seem to work, I managed to blast plenty off with a hose but there are so many of them and I dont think it is a long lasting solution, the plant itself looks lethargic.
    I managed to scoop up a few ants from the ground and place them on the leaves in the hope they may leave a scent or find their way back to their own nest and encourage other ants to devour them, but really I think it is wishful thinking.

I am a bit concerned they might spread to other plants but they do seem to be focusing on the Hypericum, not sure how they arrived, the plants are on the side of the garden less exposed to the sun,
    i dont have Hypericum on the sunnier side, but the potted plants there dont seem to be affected.

Any suggestions that I can do to kill them off? I dont want to use a harsh chemical treatment, Ive heard something called neem oil might do? garlic infused water but Im not sure if these are useful tips, I dont have a lot of time to attend to the garden, so Id like to spray with something that wont kill off anything potentially beneficial.

Im even ok with my potted rose plant be devoured by what looks like tiny caterpillers, at least some butterflies may come from it, but black aphids?

Can I encourage some kind of wasp? or get ,ladybirds? what in that manner would be effective or is it even the weather/time of year for them?
    Are the ants likely to even do anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

I don't think ants are likely to help and sometimes they can start farming aphids and defending them from predator insects like ladybirds while feeding off the sugary liquid the aphids excrete. Give the plant another good hose down to force the aphids off the plant or squash them with your thumb and fingers to set them back a bit or you could search out some ladybirds to bring back to the shrub to maybe stay about and feed on the aphids. The ladybirds will often congregate on healthy growth of long grass and stinging nettles and an empty jam jar makes collection easier. The aphids may attract some thing to eat them over time anyway and I'd be surprised to see them seriously damage something like hypericum. I see parasitic wasps in my own garden sometimes and they seem to like dense vegetation but I guess the homemade bug hotel type construction might offer them shelter as well.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

A spray of soapy water with a bit of vegetable oil will certainly do the trick. You need to really soak them in suddy water and do the underside of the leaves too.

Advertisement