Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concerns With Boiler Leak & Power Box Location

Options
  • 29-05-2021 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

I am currently in the process of buying a house in Swords but am a bit concerned after my second viewing.

The big one is I noticed a brown stain on the ceiling of the master bedroom. Upon entering the attic conversion and door into the hidden areas I discovered the boiler and a nice puddle of water. Service stickers also show maintenance was done in 2019. Now maybe its just the pipe running across needs to be replaced or worst case a new boiler is needed so that is around €2,000 fitted? To avoid mold a piece may have to be cut out of the ceiling and replaced which sounds like a pain. The structural surveillance wont go into detail about boilers functioning and internal state so I dont know what to do.

There is a power box right outside the front door and what looks like drainage access? Should I be concerned in any way and would the power box pose a health risk from anything it is outputting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

I'd suggest getting a plumber out to have a look at it to see what needs to be fixed and the rough cost. If it's a new boiler needed and damp remediation that might run into the thousands and you may be able to negotiate a discount with the seller. Then again, in this market the seller might just chance the next bidder.

Either way at least you'll have peace of mind in knowing how serious the issue is.

I've heard of cases where the seller refuses the plumber/electrician/whatever tradesperson coming out and if that's the case here I'd run a mile.

Advertisement