Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REAP Scheme application

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

I dont know who this scheme suits really, hard to imagine heavily stocked farms interested. The small part time farmer that was probably a great customer for Glas is in for a shock when they read the small print on this. If some farmers had to keep a 4 meter margin in some fields in the west of Ireland they would be as well to forget about what area is left in the field and close the gap. I know a few farmers who will have kittens when they hear about the margins required.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭893bet

There are no margins required. It’s optional to increase your score.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

But if you dont go with the margins are you not going way down the pay scale?

But if you dont go with the margins are you not going way down the pay scale?

With no margin the most you can get is an 8/10 which is 350/400 per Ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

893bet wrote: »

Are these figures correct? €350-€400 per hectare per year?
    It sounds like a great scheme to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭zetor 4911

It depends on the number of positive indicator plants in the field if there are more than 9 then you have a possibility of getting away without the margins. But to get these positive indicators it would need to be land getting no slurry/bag manure and never got any sprays.Most will have to put in margins to get any decent payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭roosky

I think whitethorn slips were €0.50 each & try to get 4 per meter

And what fencing do i need either side of that hedge ? Is it like a meter space or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭clonagh

roosky wrote: »
    And what fencing do i need either side of that hedge ? Is it like a meter space or anything
    Fencing requiremets are on page 26 of the handbook .

zetor 4911 wrote: »
    It depends on the number of positive indicator plants in the field if there are more than 9 then you have a possibility of getting away without the margins. But to get these positive indicators it would need to be land getting no slurry/bag manure and never got any sprays.Most will have to put in margins to get any decent payment.

The way I see it a 4-5 is the best thing to aim for. The most money for the least effort. 250-300 per ha. The effort to get to 350-400 will be more than it worth for 10ha (an extra 1000 or so).

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

What exactly are indicators? Are thistles and nettles counted in that category?

• Advertisement

Young95 wrote: »
    What exactly are indicators? Are thistles and nettles counted in that category?

Yes.......as negative indicators ....

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

Yes.......as negative indicators ....
    You don’t get penalties on them so ?

Young95 wrote: »
    You don’t get penalties on them so ?

If there in large number you will get dock marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭clonagh

Hoping to get the bonus payment for cutting my meadow after the 1st July. It's now the 05th of July but my Reap Advisor won't get to do his assessment for another 2 weeks or so. After the heavy rain at the weekend the meadow is starting to lodge so I'm anxious to get it cut during the next dry spell. The advisor said he's waiting for clarification from the dept. on whether I can cut before his visit. Anyone else have this problem? There's a good chance the scheme won't suit me anyway so all this waiting might be in vain...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

clonagh wrote: »
    Hoping to get the bonus payment for cutting my meadow after the 1st July. It's now the 05th of July but my Reap Advisor won't get to do his assessment for another 2 weeks or so. After the heavy rain at the weekend the meadow is starting to lodge so I'm anxious to get it cut during the next dry spell. The advisor said he's waiting for clarification from the dept. on whether I can cut before his visit. Anyone else have this problem? There's a good chance the scheme won't suit me anyway so all this waiting might be in vain...
    That’s a bit lousey
    You’d think in this age s/he would ask you to take a few pics if timing is an issue

I think you can take an image and geo tag it no?

I think you can take an image and geo tag it no?

No you can’t I asked adviser the same today and he said it needs to be taken with the advisors app on their phone so it can be policed

That’s ridiculous so really. It’s either geo tagged or it’s not.

If the advisors are supposed to view it at cutting then what’s the point of the geo tag.

Are you sure that the advisors does t have to upload it using the app later?

ya its a bit mad like I sent in geo tagged photos last year to DAFM and there was no issue.... the logic is that the advisor logs in to do your farm walk and all pictures are in the one location and saved under the correct location.

Biggest issue is that advisors are overwhelmed with the number of farmers they need to get to.

Just remember that its €300 for the visit so you have right to put pressure on your advisor, he/she isn't doing you a favor out of the good of their heart.

• Advertisement

roosky wrote: »
    ya its a bit mad like I sent in geo tagged photos last year to DAFM and there was no issue.... the logic is that the advisor logs in to do your farm walk and all pictures are in the one location and saved under the correct location.

Biggest issue is that advisors are overwhelmed with the number of farmers they need to get to.

Just remember that its €300 for the visit so you have right to put pressure on your advisor, he/she isn't doing you a favor out of the good of their heart.

So if you decide not to go in to the scheme after the visit it will cost you €300

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

So if you decide not to go in to the scheme after the visit it will cost you €300

I suppose it will depend on whether the adviser charges if you pull out. He will have the visit done regardless

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Can you download the plant identification app yourself? I think there's way too many people milking these schemes.

https://www.picturethisai.com/

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Can you download the plant identification app yourself? I think there's way too many people milking these schemes.

You can ya but its only the same as identifying the plants using the book they sent out, the advisor still needs to take pictures of the land as an "self assessment" on behalf of the DAFM.

Remember its a pilot scheme to see how this will work in the new cap so all these issues are things that had to be tried out to see what works and what doesnt so they know how to do it when its a national scheme.

I don't think you can do self assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Have you used that app much?
    What you think of it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Have you used that app much?
    What you think of it

Haven't yet, trying to keep apps on my phone to a minimum.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Does anyone know, if you are putting in margins on a meadow field (apparently by today July 15) - do you have to leave margin uncut?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

My understanding was that they need to be left uncut, but need to be cut towards the backend of the year and the grass removed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think I’m going to leave two meadow fields out. The other two scored highly and don’t need margins.

Advertisement