Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peoples experiences on FTTC - switch back to Eir from pure?

Options
  • 29-05-2021 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

I've been with pure telecom for the last year and contract is coming to an end.

The service itself has been grand no major issues and the price of 35e/month is very fair.

The only issue I have is that the latency with them is a good bit higher than Eir which I had previously, I'm a FPS gamer mostly playing oldschool shooters so it makes a huge difference.

Here's the ping to boards

Reply from 172.67.144.191: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=57

On Eir it was around 8ms from what I remember

Here's the ping to a UK server provider

Reply from 104.155.45.104: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=57

On Eir it was 19ms or so, so essentially the pings are double or worse

Pure charge 35e/month and switching back to Eir will be a lot more expensive @ 60e a month for FTTC services. Is there any other providers such as sky or vodafone that can provide low latency FTTC at a better price?

Thanks a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Sky and eir are around the same price and same ping times

The modem (wifi strength) is better with sky though

If you could be bothered to switch back and forth between them every year you'd get it a bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I've been with pure telecom for the last year and contract is coming to an end.

The service itself has been grand no major issues and the price of 35e/month is very fair.

The only issue I have is that the latency with them is a good bit higher than Eir which I had previously, I'm a FPS gamer mostly playing oldschool shooters so it makes a huge difference.

Here's the ping to boards

Reply from 172.67.144.191: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=57

On Eir it was around 8ms from what I remember

Here's the ping to a UK server provider

Reply from 104.155.45.104: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=57

On Eir it was 19ms or so, so essentially the pings are double or worse

Pure charge 35e/month and switching back to Eir will be a lot more expensive @ 60e a month for FTTC services. Is there any other providers such as sky or vodafone that can provide low latency FTTC at a better price?

Thanks a lot

You can get eir fttc for €29.99 a month for 12 months, €29.99 activation fee applies which is a bit of a choker.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    You can get eir fttc for €29.99 a month for 12 months, €29.99 activation fee applies which is a bit of a choker.

How are eir to deal with nowadays? Do they allow self install? Might be the time to do it while we are still working from home.

athlone573 wrote: »
    How are eir to deal with nowadays? Do they allow self install? Might be the time to do it while we are still working from home.

They should allow a self install as you already have FTTC, before I moved to VM I had moved from eir to Vodafone without being charged an activation charge, I didn't even need to change modems I just put in the username and password for VF.

They should allow a self install as you already have FTTC, before I moved to VM I had moved from eir to Vodafone without being charged an activation charge, I didn't even need to change modems I just put in the username and password for VF.

Thanks. Ideally I'm looking for personal experiences as I wouldn't want to have a gap in coverage as I need it for zoom calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Recently my parents moved from Pure Telecom to Eir (on FTTC) and they were left without broadband from the Friday morning until Wednesday of the next week - not sure exactly what happened but an engineer had come out and do something at the cabinet to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭bewareofthedog

After I put my number in the package available is 59.99 p/m , speed up to 60Mb

I was with them previously maybe that's why, I'll give them a ring

After I put my number in the package available is 59.99 p/m , speed up to 60Mb

I was with them previously maybe that's why, I'll give them a ring

Put your eircode in and see what it offers that's what I did.

Put your eircode in and see what it offers that's what I did.

Got it after ringing them, meant to activate Friday. Will post back with the ping times 🙂

The router never showed up, it was meant to be here Wednesday... Nightline should rename themselves to Nightmare.

The pure router is working after switching anyway for w/e reason

20 ping to france, uk
    25 ping to germany, netherlands

Happy out!

• Advertisement
Advertisement