Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing a NUC Heatsink?

Options
  • 29-05-2021 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows where I could source a NUC 6 heatsink? Stock or aftermarket?

Thanks ðŸ‘

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

deadduck wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows where I could source a NUC 6 heatsink? Stock or aftermarket?

Thanks ðŸ‘

eBay, Amazon or AliExpress.

You'll probably want to search with the part number, or the full NUC SKU name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭deadduck

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    eBay, Amazon or AliExpress.

You'll probably want to search with the part number, or the full NUC SKU name.

Believe me, I have! I never thought it would be so difficult to source one, but I’m having no luck at all. It seems they can’t be got aftermarket anywhere. My only hope is getting one from someone who has gone with a fanless case themselves, and no longer needs their original

It’s not the end of the world if I can’t get one, I’ll go with the fanless case solution myself. Was just trying to get a little project I set myself off the ground, but without a heatsink, it’s going nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'd be curious to even know how you managed to get one without a heatsink.

I'd be curious to even know how you managed to get one without a heatsink.

Guy on adverts was selling a mobo without the case and heatsink, was exactly what I was looking for (or so I thought, as my expectation was I’d source the heatsink quite easily). I got a fan ordered no problem, along with a few other generic bits and bobs, but the heatsink is proving very tough to find. Seems to be heatsinks available for absolutely everything else, but NUCs are a different story. But given the CPU is soldered in, and it’s basically impossible to upgrade, I guess the market for replacement/aftermarket heatsinks is very niche

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Is it this yoke?

Found via Google Shopping.
    Can't guarantee how safe the site is though.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Is it this yoke?

Found via Google Shopping.
    Can't guarantee how safe the site is though.

No, this is it, and it’s secured via 3 screws in a perfect triangle formation, approx 36mm apart. It seems the newer models changed to a 4 screw setup.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

hi,

while i appreciate the suggestion, drilling my own heatsink is a bit too adventurous for my liking! the screw holes for mounting the heatsink stand about 3mm above the CPU, so to allow for the difference, i think i would need to engage in some pretty precise countersinking to have the heatsink close to flush with the top of the CPU.

i could be wrong on the above, and there's a simpler way about it, but given this unit is replacing my current aging PC, i've bit the bullet and ordered an akasa fanless case.

if i ever happen upon a suitable heatsink in future, i might see about picking up the project i was hoping for again.

thanks everyone for the input, it's all very welcome

actually, as soon as i posted the above, realised i could probably just drill the holes 1mm larger than the screw mounts, and then the heatsink would sit directly on the CPU!

anyway, all academic now, looking forward to getting the NUC fitted into the fanless case instead :)

Advertisement