Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brittas bay car parks open?

Options
  • 30-05-2021 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,386 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the car parks at Brittas bay are open at the moment?

Are they still coins only or have they joined the 21st century?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭sumo12

Hi all,

Yes they are open, €4 entry and just coins by the looks of it !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,386 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

sumo12 wrote: »
    Yes they are open, €4 entry and just coins by the looks of it !

Yeah they were busy today, big traffic jam either way and cars parked all along the road either side

You'd think our glorious county councils would do a bit more to sort out the parking situation at most of the beaches on the East coast

It doesn't take a lot of thinking power to realise that beaches are popular on sunny days and they might want to expand the parking facilities and provide more footpaths

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Well it could be a deliberate tactic too to not have the place overrun by cars. Building more parking spaces just fills the place up more.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cromelex

Hi all,

I was there a week or 2 ago, and on the south park there was a staff person with a card reader allowing you to pay by card.

cromelex wrote: »
    I was there a week or 2 ago, and on the south park there was a staff person with a card reader allowing you to pay by card.

North car park was cash only yesterday

It's possible there was a card reader somewhere but it didn't seem obvious

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Well it could be a deliberate tactic too to not have the place overrun by cars. Building more parking spaces just fills the place up more.

I agree, but I don't think it's a good strategy

Ultimately, people are going to want to go places like the beach on sunny days. If they've travelled some distance and find the car park full, they're unlikely to turn around and go home. Probably more likely to park along the road, which is what was happening yesterday

So, is it better to have rubbish facilities in a vain effort to deter crowds, and then the place ends up wrecked when the crowds come regardless?

Or would it be smarter to expand the facilities to accommodate the crowds without destroying the land and also bring in more revenue from parking fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I agree, but I don't think it's a good strategy

Ultimately, people are going to want to go places like the beach on sunny days. If they've travelled some distance and find the car park full, they're unlikely to turn around and go home. Probably more likely to park along the road, which is what was happening yesterday

So, is it better to have rubbish facilities in a vain effort to deter crowds, and then the place ends up wrecked when the crowds come regardless?

Or would it be smarter to expand the facilities to accommodate the crowds without destroying the land and also bring in more revenue from parking fees?

In fairness the parking facilities there are quite large and I think the expense of ruining the nature of the place to build more car parks for the few weekends of the year when it may get full is not worth it.

I don't parking generates as much revenue as you make out.

I'm a driver but just don't believe that all facilities should revolve around cars.
    For example if was up to me there'd be no cars on Bray Seafront apart from residents and disabled and I think the seafront would be better without the constant stream of traffic that was on it yesterday.

Advertisement