Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twice divorced Boris marries in Catholic Cathedral!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Sure church of England is only Catholicism without the pope as top dog anyway, don't think the DUP care for soft bellied Anglicans?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Just in time for fleg season too, well played Boris.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

fryup wrote: »
    not marriages?? very arrogant of them

anyway who hell are they to pontificate with all the child abuse scandals involving priests (worldwide)

They are literally led by the pontiff...
    It's his gift to pontificate about whatever he wishes.
    Doesn't mean we need pay him a blind bit of notice, but he is the pontifex maximus.

not marriages?? very arrogant of them

anyway who hell are they to pontificate with all the child abuse scandals involving priests (worldwide)

Totally irrelevant. What do you care what the catholic church believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Sure church of England is only Catholicism without the pope as top dog anyway,

no it isn't.....it has married priests/vicars, women priests/vicars, women bishops

worlds apart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Dead cat bounce. Third marriage of the PM -v- Dominic Cummins, timing couldn't be better de Pfeffel you cad and bounder.

His party will be in power till at least the mid 30s.
    He'll be PM for a good few years yet, any time would have been a good time.

His opposition refuse to oppose and is dominated at all levels by cranks and weirdos who hate most of their own voters.

The biggest threat to Boris is Boris and Sunak is counting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

Easy know they're not too fond of the catholics, the Catholic Westminster Cathedral is the worst looking church in the world. An atrocious looking monstrosity.

Well, I like it, it's a nice looking building.

At least London, unlike Dublin, has a Catholic cathedral.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LMHC

Oh theyll be having a rousing chorus of:

give me a home
    Where there's no Pope of Rome
    Where there's nothing but Protestants stay
    Where seldom is heard a discouraging word
    And flute bands play The Sash every day

No, no Pope of Rome
    No chapels to sadden my eyes
    No nuns and no priests
    No Rosary beads
    Every day is the 12th of July

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

banie01 wrote: »
    All we need now is to somehow sneak in a Catholic Monarch and the long, long game will be finally complete ;)

The inbred racist monarchy wouldn't allow that happen.

All monarchy should be done away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Britain discovers that their Prime Minister is a Catholic, the first since the Reformation, but people are merely curious about the rules about remarriage in a church and how/why the ceremony was kept secret. Whatever the reason, it was not because they had a Catholic ceremony.

What a political earthquake this would have been in the past, especially for Ireland. Imagine in 1921, if Lloyd George had married Frances Stevenson in a Catholic cerermony. Many hardline Loyalists would have renounced their loyalty to his Government (not that they had any loyalty, but you know..."loyalty" in their special sense). Now in our post-Christian Republic, this is just celebrity gossip for RTE. Did the happy couple even get a Papal blessing? Could the Argentinian Jesuit HAVE worked in a claim to Las Malvinas as part of his homeland. The late Rev. Dr. Ian Paisley was certain that the Scarlet Whore of Rome could give political direction to all its faithful. It is no coincidence that the EU was founded on the Treaty of Rome!

In fact, the only people in the world who care about such theological/political issues are the Loyalists in N. Ireland, specifically the DUP. In the middle of their Shakespearean bloodbath, their greatest nightmare comes one step closer to reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Here's an interesting appeal for the abolition of the bar on Catholics (and other religions) succeeding to the British Throne by the Guardian's legal counsel, one Keir Starmer Q.C.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/may/31/politics.religion1

Written almost 20 years ago with the idea the Queen might "call it a day" and, more fancifully, that Prince William might marry Britney Spears! The discrimination against women in the line of succession has been removed. Done quickly in 2011 in case Kate Middleton's first baby was a girl and she lost out to a younger brother.

Will the Leader of the Labour Party now produce a Bill to abolish the discrimination aganinst Catholics and others, to give effect to his long-held view? Surely he would have the support of the Catholic Prime Minister, and I doubt the Heir to the Throne would object.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Caquas wrote: »
    Here's an interesting appeal for the abolition of the bar on Catholics (and other religions) succeeding to the British Throne by the Guardian's legal counsel, one Keir Starmer Q.C.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/may/31/politics.religion1

Written almost 20 years ago with the idea the Queen might "call it a day" and, more fancifully, that Prince William might marry Britney Spears! The discrimination against women in the line of succession has been removed. Done quickly in 2011 in case Kate Middleton's first baby was a girl and she lost out to a younger brother.

Will the Leader of the Labour Party now produce a Bill to abolish the discrimination aganinst Catholics and others, to give effect to his long-held view? Surely he would have the support of the Catholic Prime Minister, and I doubt the Heir to the Throne would object.

I mean sure there should not be religious prejudice but really we can just skip to position should not be inherited.

no it isn't.....it has married priests/vicars, women priests/vicars, women bishops

worlds apart

the fire and brimstone Free Presbyterians of the DUP view anglicanism as wooly liberal protestantism

LMHC wrote: »
    Oh theyll be having a rousing chorus of:

give me a home
    Where there's no Pope of Rome
    Where there's nothing but Protestants stay
    Where seldom is heard a discouraging word
    And flute bands play The Sash every day

No, no Pope of Rome
    No chapels to sadden my eyes
    No nuns and no priests
    No Rosary beads
    Every day is the 12th of July

Rangers FC training ground sing a long ?

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    the fire and brimstone Free Presbyterians of the DUP view anglicanism as wooly liberal protestantism

I imagine any Free P believes any non Free P is going to burn in eternal damnation. And about that, I imagine, they're smugly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,155 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

E2oJw0dWYAE_2Js?format=jpg&name=900x900

Some wedding photos

Is Johnson actually a Catholic? The girlfriend maybe, and the Catholic Church isn’t that dogmatic anymore on marrying across sectarian lines. However a Catholic prime minister may have constitutional issues.

worlds apart

That’s fairly recent. Anglicanism and Catholicism are much closer than either is to proper red and tooth and claw Protestantism.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Who gives a sh1t what religion he is and what church he gets married in, trust the irish to bring that up.. in england they wouldn't give a damn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

frosty123 wrote: »
    Who gives a sh1t what religion he is and what church he gets married in, trust the irish to bring that up.. in england they wouldn't give a damn

6 guys on boards represents the view of the Irish people I see!

I suppose they joke about it because they British imposed centuries of religious persecution here or something like that. Good they can joke about it now.

• Advertisement

the British imposed centuries of religious persecution here or something like that. Good they can joke about it now.

BURN! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,406 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Seriously though, congratulations to the Jacobites on playing the long game and 320yrs later...
    Finally managing to get a Taig PM ;)

All we need now is to somehow sneak in a Catholic Monarch and the long, long game will be finally complete ;)

James Hewitt was a Derry man but I really doubt he was a catholic and Harry's ship has sailed now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 26,406 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Are you sure about that because Tony Blair hid his true religion for years because of what the English might think about a catholic PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2007/jun/22/uk.religion1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Are Catholics still constitutionally barred from becoming PM?

Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Christened Catholic and confirmed CoE iirc.
    It's the auld once a Catholic, always a Catholic clause.
    And as he wasn't ever previously married in the Catholic rite, he gets a pass on the divorces and is technically free to marry in a Catholic church.

That ruins my poke fun at the DUP approach however and is being ignored ;)

Exactly banie01,
    The ban will only kick in the next time he wants to get married in a Catholic Church, once the inevitable divorce follows this one.

fvp4 wrote: »
    Is Johnson actually a Catholic? The girlfriend maybe, and the Catholic Church isn’t that dogmatic anymore on marrying across sectarian lines. However a Catholic prime minister may have constitutional issues.

The King or Queen can't be Catholic but prime minister is fine.

Are Catholics still constitutionally barred from becoming PM?

It depends. What the act says is that the king or queen can’t be advised on the selection of the bishops in the House of Lords, or the arch bishop of Canterbury by any advisor who is Catholic. Nowadays these decisions are not made by the Queen. So it’s ambiguous.

you might not be aware that a catholic cannot be PM in Britain , nor can they become monarch ?

so they give a sh1t alot more than we do , Douglas Hyde was a protestant and president , im pretty sure Mary Robinson converted to her husbands protestant faith long before becoming President ? ( granted she is atheist anyway )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Oh on the contrary, I think many of them very much care what church he married in.

Advertisement