Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twice divorced Boris marries in Catholic Cathedral!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

No they don't your average brit on the street doesn't give a damn.. religion gone out the window over there
    Mad_maxx wrote: »

Douglas Hyde was a protestant and president ,

He was never voted in, just a token president to hoodwink unionists into thinking we're liberal

• Registered Users Posts: 26,406 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

frosty123 wrote: »
    No they don't your average brit on the street doesn't give a damn.. religion gone out the window over there

In my experience there are a lot more religious people in England than there are here in Ireland a lot more staunch atheists too.

We have the whole everyone is a catholic but no one lives by it thing where as I met a hell of a lot more actually religious people over there where faith is part of everyday life

So what. They still have a constitutional issue.

He was never voted in, just a token president to hoodwink unionists into thinking we're liberal

Sure we wanted to hoodwink the liberal unionists, all two of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Who gives a sh1t what religion he is and what church he gets married in, trust the irish to bring that up.. in england they wouldn't give a damn
    You should check out the sacks of hate mail Ann Widdecombe received when she became a Catholic. Some quite disturbing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

breezy1985 wrote: »
    In my experience there are a lot more religious people in England than there are here in Ireland a lot more staunch atheists too.

We have the whole everyone is a catholic but no one lives by it thing where as I met a hell of a lot more actually religious people over there where faith is part of everyday life

John B. Keane was correct "Tis only a thin layer of Christianity we have painted over these people"

• Advertisement

paul71 wrote: »
    John B. Keane was correct "Tis only a thin layer of Christianity we have painted over these people"

Its a sense of tradition and "Irishness"
    The English because religion is a choice I reckon are more likely to be actually religious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

Yes, and isn’t the queen head of the church

Jizique wrote: »
    Yes, and isn’t the queen head of the church

Well that kind of old granny's hanging around Sandringham on Christmas day is much more the Irish style of religion as in it's done out of tradition and nationalism

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    you might not be aware that a catholic cannot be PM in Britain , nor can they become monarch ?

so they give a sh1t alot more than we do , Douglas Hyde was a protestant and president , im pretty sure Mary Robinson converted to her husbands protestant faith long before becoming President ? ( granted she is atheist anyway )

There is nothing stopping a catholic becoming prime minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

She knows what she is getting.

A serial cheater and a compulsive liar.

Will be impossible to have any sympathy when it ends in tears.

• Advertisement

Aegir wrote: »
    Ther is nothing stopping a catholic becoming prime minister.

Apart from a prejudiced electorate and colleagues. There's a reason Tony waited until after he left office to formerly convert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Are you sure about that because Tony Blair hid his true religion for years because of what the English might think about a catholic PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2007/jun/22/uk.religion1

True but I think this comes from two directions.

There's the old school anti-catholic thing, which gets the attention from Irish people.

The second strand is probably more important particularly left/liberal public figures. This is the view that a person's personal religious convictions will impact their political policies
    This isn't solely focussed on Catholics at all, however non Christian religions tend to get a pass.
    Tim Farron (evangelical) former lib dem leader is the perfect example of this, he had a decent record on gay rights but still received loads of flack due to his personal religious beliefs.

Actually arguably the Tories are probably more open on this issue than Labour and the rest of the left, Rees Mogg is pretty popular among Tories and is an old school Catholic, I can't think of an equivalent figure on the other side.

Apart from a prejudiced electorate and colleagues. There's a reason Tony waited until after he left office to formerly convert.

The only prejudice is on this island to be honest. No one in Britain really gives a ****.

The only prejudice is on this island to be honest. No one in Britain really gives a ****.

The country that literally voted themselves out of the EU for that very reason?

The country that literally voted themselves out of the EU for that very reason?

People voted for Brexit because they don’t like Catholics?

Because they are prejudiced, which you claim they aren't. It stems from the...

No Blacks
    No Dogs
    No Irish

mindset

because they are prejudiced, which you claim they aren't.

You need to stay out of the sun……..

There is an element of this yes, it has moved on from anti-catholic, but there was always xenophobia and in the 17th and 18th century that took its expression in Anti-catholic sentiment. The residual anti-catholic feeling is very much in the wane but the xenophobia towards Europe still exists.

True but I think this comes from two directions.

There's the old school anti-catholic thing, which gets the attention from Irish people.

The second strand is probably more important particularly left/liberal public figures. This is the view that a person's personal religious convictions will impact their political policies
    This isn't solely focussed on Catholics at all, however non Christian religions tend to get a pass.
    Tim Farron (evangelical) former lib dem leader is the perfect example of this, he had a decent record on gay rights but still received loads of flack due to his personal religious beliefs.

Actually arguably the Tories are probably more open on this issue than Labour and the rest of the left, Rees Mogg is pretty popular among Tories and is an old school Catholic, I can't think of an equivalent figure on the other side.

Don't you dare blame the lefty liberals. Blair was always open about being religious he just pretended he was a COE one not a catholic so it has nothing to do with it

And Tim Farron was a homophobe who pretended not to be one to be LibDem leader so everything you are saying is complete lies

There is an element of this yes, it has moved on from anti-catholic, but there was always xenophobia and in the 17th and 18th century that took its expression in Anti-catholic sentiment. The residual anti-catholic feeling is very much in the wane but the xenophobia towards Europe still exists.

I do enjoy a good laugh.

How did this go from Boris Johnson getting married to Brexit and anti Catholicism sentiment in the UK?

I guess it demonstrates where the real prejudice and xenophobia actually is.

• Advertisement

You need to stay out of the sun……..

Excellent rebuttal :rolleyes:

I do enjoy a good laugh.

How did this go from Boris Johnson getting married to Brexit and anti Catholicism sentiment in the UK?

'I'm having a laugh', the refuge of the online defeated debater.

Excellent rebuttal :rolleyes:

Well I could have said that you were talking a load of bollocks I suppose, but I thought I’d give you the benefit of the doubt.

I do enjoy a good laugh.

You deny it? I did say the Anti-catholic sentiment was in the wane, but it was very very real for about 300 years. The island fortress, the Armada scare, the penal laws, the burning of priests, the burning of pope effergies are all true, a late 20th century politician standing up in the European parliament and shouting that the Pope is the antichrist happened.

I'm a long time athesist but Anti-Catholic sentiment is known as the last accecptable religous bigothory. And please don't try to say Brext was not about xenophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

Boris promises to love, honour etc.....Hmmmm....he has previous issues with promises, I fear :)

Well I could have said that you were talking a load of bollocks I suppose, but I thought I’d give you the benefit of the doubt.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/19/rise-of-the-far-right-a-disturbing-mix-of-hateful-ideologies

"Rightwing terrorism now takes up around 10% of counter-terrorism policing’s 800 live investigations, up from around 6% in 2017/18, with around a quarter of all counter-terror related arrests linked to the far right."

Then there's the age old ubiquitous sectarianism in parts of Scotland.

When you're finished embarrassing yourself just stop posting. I'll not hold my breath.

bazza1 wrote: »
    Boris promises to love, honour etc.....Hmmmm....he has previous issues with promises, I fear :)

As long as he didn't read the vows from the side of a bus she might be alright.

You deny it? I did say the Anti-catholic sentiment was in the wane, but it was very very real for about 300 years. The island fortress, the Armada scare, the penal laws, the burning of priests, the burning of pope effergies are all true, a late 20th century politician standing up in the European parliament and shouting that the Pope is the antichrist happened.

I'm a long time athesist but Anti-Catholic sentiment is known as the last accecptable religous bigothory. And please don't try to say Brext was not about xenophobia.

Holy ****. Those straws are really being clutched at now.

It’s the 21st century in case you hadn’t realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Didn't Tony Blair convert to catholicism too?

After he was replaced as PM I think?

• Advertisement

Holy ****. Those straws are really being clutched at now.

It’s the 21st century in case you hadn’t realised.

Advertisement