Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twice divorced Boris marries in Catholic Cathedral!

Options

Comments

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/19/rise-of-the-far-right-a-disturbing-mix-of-hateful-ideologies

"Rightwing terrorism now takes up around 10% of counter-terrorism policing’s 800 live investigations, up from around 6% in 2017/18, with around a quarter of all counter-terror related arrests linked to the far right."

Then there's the age old ubiquitous sectarianism in parts of Scotland.

When you're finished embarrassing yourself just stop posting. I'll not hold my breath.

“They’re the racist ones, not us”

Aegir wrote: »
    People voted for Brexit because they don’t like Catholics?

Because British people tend to hate everybody not British. And historically they were surrounded by Catholic powers (and us).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The country that literally voted themselves out of the EU for that very reason?

Brexit vote was due to anti Catholic sentiment in the UK?

What an odd idea.

Holy ****. Those straws are really being clutched at now.

It’s the 21st century in case you hadn’t realised.

You should tell that to a section of Ulster unionists come July 12th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

Holy ****. Those straws are really being clutched at now.

It’s the 21st century in case you hadn’t realised.

I really must ask if you have an issue reading, I stated twice it is waning.

To wane - (of a state or feeling) decrease in vigour or extent; become weaker.

But it did exist and there is a residue, are not effigies of the Pope still burned in English villages on certain days? Is Ian Paisley not a recent political figure whose legacy polictical party still poisons EU - UK relations?

While the religous element of the "Fortress Britain" mentality is largely gone, that is where it began and its legacy is xenophobia.

• Advertisement

“They’re the racist ones, not us”

Oh, no, the Irish are prejudiced too. Is that it... you were taking umbrage because you were thinking the poor Brits were being picked on?

Deary me, we were discussing a particular aspect of prejudice. But, you went full on (let's avoid a yellow card here) beep to deny the Brits could possibly be prejudiced which was met with the derision it deserved.

paul71 wrote: »
    I really must ask if you have an issue reading, I stated twice it is waning.

To wane - (of a state or feeling) decrease in vigour or extent; become weaker.

But it did exist and there is a residue, are not effigies of the Pope still burned in English villages on certain days? Is Ian Paisley not a recent political figure whose legacy polictical party still poisons EU - UK relations?

While the religous element of the "Fortress Britain" mentality is largely gone, that is where it began and its legacy is xenophobia.

Not effigies of the Pope, effigies of a particular pope. Odd that you bring up Paisley as well, because they burnt an effigy of him alongside the pope one year.

I’m mot sure wha MPs the DUP have in Britain so you’ll have to excuse me if I presumed they had none.

Bambi wrote: »
    Brexit vote was due to anti Catholic sentiment in the UK?

No. Keep reading. I'll wait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

At least this post proves we really are still hung up on religion

Johnson isn’t a Catholic btw. Confirmation makes him
    Anglican. The ceremony was presumably for the benefit of the missus.

• Advertisement

ineedeuro wrote: »
    At least this post proves we really are still hung up on religion

Not at all, we are discussing our neighbours with their archaic laws. We might as well because they surely don’t.

paul71 wrote: »
    You deny it? I did say the Anti-catholic sentiment was in the wane, but it was very very real for about 300 years. The island fortress, the Armada scare, the penal laws, the burning of priests, the burning of pope effergies are all true, a late 20th century politician standing up in the European parliament and shouting that the Pope is the antichrist happened.

I'm a long time athesist but Anti-Catholic sentiment is known as the last accecptable religous bigothory. And please don't try to say Brext was not about xenophobia.

Brexit was about stopping “da foreigner”, didn’t matter what religion he/she was part of

fvp4 wrote: »
    Johnson isn’t a Catholic btw. Confirmation makes him
    Anglican. The ceremony was presumably for the benefit of the missus.

He was baptised Catholic, that means Catholic Jesus has him for Good and For Glory. Protestant Jesus was too slow.

Brexit was about stopping “da foreigner”, didn’t matter what religion he/she was part of

So, you'll admit they were prejudiced. That's a start.

Not at all, we are discussing our neighbours with their archaic laws. We might as well because they surely don’t.

This is the title “ Twice divorced Boris marries in Catholic Cathedral!”

The whole thread is a discussion about religion. Who gives a s**t what religion they are when married?

Oh, no, the Irish are prejudiced too

I wouldn’t say the Irish per se, although I believe there is an appropriate say about caps that fit.

Of course there is prejudice in Britain, it is a sad part of the human race and is something that infects all countries.

In terms of people caring about whether or not the PM is catholic, Protestant, Hindu or Jewish no, no one outside of this islands gives a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Over on the Politics forum they're prolly saying Boris only got marrried to deflect from the Cummins story, no doubt. Cat something or other they call it lol

Kinda reminds me of that nasty chat about Melania divocring Trump. She's polly less lilkely to divorce him now if anything.

I wouldn’t say the Irish per se, although I believe there is an appropriate say about caps that fit.

Of course there is prejudice in Britain, it is a sad part of the human race and is something that infects all countries.

In terms of people caring about whether or not the PM is catholic, Protestant, Hindu or Jewish no, no one outside of this islands gives a ****.

The UK media (print and radio) are covering it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9633917/Priest-demands-know-Boris-Johnson-Carrie-Symonds-wed-Westminster-Cathedral.html

I've not seen UK TV today.

He was baptised Catholic, that means Catholic Jesus has him for Good and For Glory. Protestant Jesus was too slow.

Thats not true as far as English laws and the Anglicans are concerned. Which is what matters in laws regarding the British PM.

This is the title “ Twice divorced Boris marries in Catholic Cathedral!”

The whole thread is a discussion about religion. Who gives a s**t what religion they are when married?

UK laws on who can be the prime minister. This is tiresome.

• Advertisement

fvp4 wrote: »
    Thats not true as far as English laws and the Anglicans are concerned. Which is what matters in laws regarding the British PM.

I pointed out that in the eyes of the Catholic Church he remains a Catholic, and then you said that is not true. You kind of have to be catholic to get married in a catholic church. You then contrive an irrelevant argument I wasn't even discussing. The internet can be so tiresome sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Well it's pretty surprising that a serving priest doesn't know the "rules" on stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

I mean sure there should not be religious prejudice but really we can just skip to position should not be inherited.

You mean abolish the Monarchy? Yes, if they could find something to replace it.

De Valera managed to write the monarchy out of our Constitution by creating a Republican substitute - a President controlled as firmly by the Government as any constitutional Monarch. Could the British manage the same trick while holding the United Kingdom together? After QEII, the Scots Nats might switch to republicanism.

If the Brits were promised an end to the Harry/Meghan/Oprah show, sensible people would rally round the republican option :p

Call me Al wrote: »
    Well it's pretty surprising that a serving priest doesn't know the "rules" on stuff like this.

They don't make them like they used to... hopefully :pac:

Caquas wrote: »
    You mean abolish the Monarchy? Yes, if they could find something to replace it.

De Valera managed to write the monarchy out of our Constitution by creating a Republican substitute - a President controlled as firmly by the Government as any constitutional Monarch. Could the British manage the same trick while holding the United Kingdom together? If they were promised an end to the Harry/Meghan/Oprah show, sensible people would rally round the republican option after QEII.:p

Off topic, but I do think the UK monarchy is a unifying force, especially QE2. Charles to a lesser extent I'd guess, but not without some influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,406 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Off topic, but I do think the UK monarchy is a unifying force, especially QE2. Charles to a lesser extent I'd guess, but not without some influence.

Unifying what exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

No. Keep reading. I'll wait.

I read a bit where you decided that Brexit wasn't due to anti Catholic feelings but due to prejudice?

Is that your current position now? :confused:

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Unifying what exactly

Scotland and England in particular. But, also NI (don't know enough about Wales)

fryup wrote: »
    no it isn't.....it has married priests/vicars, women priests/vicars, women bishops

worlds apart

Catholic Church also has some married priests funnily enough

• Advertisement

Catholic Church also has some married priests funnily enough

And will have many more in time, I'd hazard.

Advertisement