Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twice divorced Boris marries in Catholic Cathedral!

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

biko wrote: »
    Well, I hope they will be happy

image.jpg

Lookin good boris lad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/boris-johnson-baptised-catholic-and-cannot-defect-from-church-says-canon-law-1.4579760

This wedding is the most read story on the IT now, not because of its political significance. No, Irish people want to know how a double divorcee got to marry in a Catholic Cathedral.

Irish people don’t care that, for the first time in history and almost two hundred years after O’Connell gained emancipation for Catholics (I.e. the Irish subjects of the British Crown), the head of Her Majesty’s Government is a Catholic. No, they want to figure out if they can have the use of the local Church for their second (or third) nuptials. A much better look than some phoney hotel “chapel”.
    Short answer: No, not if you used a Catholic Church for the previous nuptials.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,406 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Caquas wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/boris-johnson-baptised-catholic-and-cannot-defect-from-church-says-canon-law-1.4579760

This wedding is the most read story on the IT now, not because of its political significance. No, Irish people want to know how a double divorcee got to marry in a Catholic Cathedral.

Irish people don’t care that, for the first time in history and almost two hundred years after O’Connell gained emancipation for Catholics (I.e. the Irish subjects of the British Crown), the head of Her Majesty’s Government is a Catholic. No, they want to figure out if they can have the use of the local Church for their second (or third) nuptials. A much better look than some phoney hotel “chapel”.

How do you know why all Irish people are reading the story for that reason ?

Also lets be honest the head of government is not a catholic because we all know the only thing Johnson worships is Borisism

breezy1985 wrote: »
    How do you know why all Irish people are reading the story for that reason ?
    Because that’s what it’s about. As the subheading says
    First two marriages of Britain’s first Catholic prime minister not seen as valid by Church

Perhaps you think they’re seeking to explore the sacramental nature of this wedding as a matter of theological concern? Personally, I doubt if one in a hundred Irish people have the slightest concern about theology. The interest is practical - what’s in it for me?
    Also lets be honest the head of government is not a catholic because we all know the only thing Johnson worships is Borisism
    Now you’re showing your theological ignorance. The whole point of the story is once a Catholic, always a Catholic however far you wander.

Because that’s what it’s about. As the subheading says

Perhaps you think they’re seeking to explore the sacramental nature of this wedding as a matter of theological concern? Personally, I doubt if one in a hundred Irish people have the slightest concern about theology. The interest is practical - what’s in it for me?

Now you’re showing your theological ignorance. The whole point of the story is once a Catholic, always a Catholic however far you wander.

The sub heading says nothing about why Irish people would choose to read that article.

I was once a catholic because I was made one when I was too young to decide for myself. I am not one now I definitely am not and the census can back me up on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭plodder

Interesting to learn that. It would make you think about having the old "starter marriage" somewhere else to take care of that issue for the following hopefully permanent one.

It's typical Johnson though to be believed to be a Catholic, while also having been confirmed a member of the Church of England - a bit like his collection of citizenships, having also been a US citizen at one time.

His attitude to religion, a bit like politics, seems to be best summarised in his own words:
    “I suppose my own faith, you know, it’s a bit like trying to get Virgin Radio when you’re driving through the Chilterns. It sort of comes and goes. I mean sometimes the signal is strong, and then sometimes I’m afraid it just vanishes. And then it comes back again.”
    https://unherd.com/2021/06/is-boris-johnson-really-a-catholic/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,831 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

biko wrote: »
    Possibly the un-news-est news in a long time.

'Boris gets a haircut' that would be proper news imo.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The sub heading says nothing about why Irish people would choose to read that article.

I was once a catholic because I was made one when I was too young to decide for myself. I am not one now I definitely am not and the census can back me up on that

The subhead explains how a (twice-) divorced person gets to marry in a Catholic Church. That is what Irish people want to understand about this wedding, not the political issues I have raised. Still among the most read articles today.

Did you send your census return to the Pope? If you have a change of heart tomorrow, you’ll discover (like Boris) that they didn’t cancel your membership. No second baptism.

The subhead explains how a (twice-) divorced person gets to marry in a Catholic Church. That is what Irish people want to understand about this wedding, not the political issues I have raised. Still among the most read articles today.

Did you send your census return to the Pope? If you have a change of heart tomorrow, you’ll discover (like Boris) that they didn’t cancel your membership. No second baptism.

Again you don't have a clue why Irish people read it.im Irish and I read it because it is a political story. But I suppose like a good catholic you think it's your job to tell the Irish people what they think.

As for some lad lounging out near Rome I couldn't care what he thinks I am. He could have me on a list saying I'm from Mars as his rules and laws mean nothing to me and have no legal control over me. I'm not too worried about a change of heart I can't see myself ever feeling the need to spend my Sundays sucking up to the sky faries

I can't see myself ever feeling the need to spend my Sundays sucking up to the sky faries

Fairy singular, very important from a theological POV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

So who cares if BJ decided to get married this time in a Catholic ceremony? The legal aspect of the marriage isn't affected by the belief system that he chose to exchange vows. He could have got married in another faith ceremony or a humanist or non-faith service. Maybe his wife is a devout RC and mixed marriages are certainly not unknown for RC & Anglican or any other christian denomination.

The rules most people are asking about are religious. The RCC rule is you need to be married by a priest with two witnesses for them to recognise the Sacrament of Marriage. If that didn't happen previously then it's good to go.

No problem either if BJ wants to legally divorce in future, he just can't have another Sacrament of Marriage in the RCC (unless of course this marriage was RC* annulled, then he probably could) :rolleyes:

Edit * as opposed to a legal annulment which I'm told are very rare

No problem either if BJ wants to legally divorce in future, he just can't have another Sacrament of Marriage in the RCC (unless of course this marriage was annulled, then he probably could) :rolleyes:

Well looking to have one annulled would be fitting with his trajectory towards a Henry 8th level marital life

Again you don't have a clue why Irish people read it.im Irish and I read it because it is a political story. But I suppose like a good catholic you think it's your job to tell the Irish people what they think.

As for some lad lounging out near Rome I couldn't care what he thinks I am. He could have me on a list saying I'm from Mars as his rules and laws mean nothing to me and have no legal control over me. I'm not too worried about a change of heart I can't see myself ever feeling the need to spend my Sundays sucking up to the sky faries

You object to my claim about why Irish people are reading this IT story (pushed off the most read list this afternoon by Kate Winslet not nude) although I gave cogent reasons and you offered no alternative explanation. But that doesn’t stop you from making an assumption that I am Catholic. And not just spoiled, baptised Catholic, like you and Boris.

You object to my claim about why Irish people are reading this IT story (pushed off the most read list this afternoon by Kate Winslet not nude) although I gave cogent reasons and you offered no alternative explanation. But that doesn’t stop you from making an assumption that I am Catholic. And not just spoiled, baptised Catholic, like you and Boris.

My point is there is no proof I you or anyone can give as to what motive Irish people have for reading the article. I doubt there is any 1 reason and the reason you gave was to quote the sub header which proved nothing.

I am not a catholic as it was something forced on me when I was too young to talk so do not refer to me as one again

Fintan O’T points out the double-standards of the Catholic Church in this case.
    People in Ireland will not be too surprised to find that the Church, so harsh on ordinary divorcees and same-sex couples, discovers its soft side when prime ministers need to be accommodated.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-boris-the-catholic-shows-up-the-church-s-hypocrisy-1.4581166

Similarly with Bertie, the daily communicant while living with Celia.

On the bigger picture, he senses public indifference
    Somehow, the news that the United Kingdom has its first ever serving Catholic prime minister ought to feel more momentous than it does. Something quite epic is coming to an end. But the moment is oddly tinged with absurdity.

Confirms my point that Irish people are not interested in the historic or political dimensions but in how someone getting married for a second (third!) time can do so in a Catholic Church.

I hadn’t realised that Gordon Brown scrapped the PM’s role in advising the Queen on religious matters. Nor, it seems did anyone else on here, which further demonstrates my point- Irish people in general no longer care about religion in politics.

Advertisement