Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you recommend a good idea for a wheelchair user?

Options
  • 30-05-2021 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

We have a few days booked in Dungarvan for the greenway but would love to hear a few ideas for a day out suitable for a wheelchair user.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Ginger83 wrote: »
    We have a few days booked in Dungarvan for the greenway but would love to hear a few ideas for a day out suitable for a wheelchair user.

Trying to work out places myself. Was just up in. Mt. Mellary there today. Near dungarvan. Lovely to visit. There's also a grotto there where Our Lady appeared.
    Could take in Lismore, check out Dramona Gate too.
    On the greenway maybe mt Congreve? There is also a train ride in kilmeaden run by volunteers runs along the greenway past Mt Congreve into bilberry and back.
    Not sure how things are going with restrictions though.
    Kennedy park in wexford maybe, pack a picnic? Fota Park I think is fairly flat.
    Cahir? There's a lovely flat walk from Cahir to the Swiss cottage.
    It's awful trying to think of places.
    You never realise the inaccessibility of places until you have to experience it.
    Looking forward to other people's ideas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

Ginger83 wrote: »

What kind of thing are you looking for? Outdoorsy, or visitor centre etc? Trying to think, and no experience of using a wheelchair, but most of the Greenway would be good surface, so it's a question of picking a spot to hit - by Durrow and through the tunnel is the highlight bit. Around Dungarvan itself there's the boardwalk in Abbeyside along the beach, with wheelchair access to the beach. Days out - for gardens there's Lismore and Mount Congreve as mentioned. Ardmore is a lovely seaside town - not sure how accessible the cliff walk there is but there was work done on it over the winter but its a nice place to have a mooch about with a large beach with a car park adjacent. I feel like there's wheelchair accessible river trips in Villierstown, might be worth looking into? And Dromama house and gardens worth a look too, in the same direction.

Would really recommend getting in touch with Dungarvan tourist office as they're a good resource and may have plenty of other suggestions. Hope you find some good and suitable excursions!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Thank you both for the replies. Yes outdoors if we get the weather.
    We have two kids to entertain

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

I was reading something about Mahon Falls quite recently too which mentioned that the walk down was wheelchair accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

Tramore is maybe 30 mins drive from Dungarvan?

You could try a trio of Tramore, Fenor Bog and Copper Coast Mini Farm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

Go fishing in Ballshonnock Lake ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

The train is back open in kilmeaden.
    Ardmore open farm should be open too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Ginger83

KK4SAM wrote: »
    Go fishing in Ballshonnock Lake ?

Would that be wheelchair accessible?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

• Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mahon Falls has a reasonable path, though it is stones so not the easiest to manage I imagine (no experience of wheelchair use there). There is one bit towards the end though that has a steep bit and fairly rough, not sure how accessible it is, I would imagine it depends on the wheelchair and user.

• Advertisement
Advertisement