Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living full-time in Campervan - Looking for Permanent Parking Space Galway

Options
  • 30-05-2021 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I am seeking a permanent parking space for a 64 year-old retired gentleman living full time in a newly refurbished campervan who is totally self-sufficient in terms of electricity, water, waste, services, ect...

Would be happy to exchange light work such as gardening, painting, cleaning or alternatively a small monthly fee (or combination of both) in exchange for a safe and reliable place to park long-term.

Individual is a respectable person, good natured, helpful and friendly and due to unforeseen financial circumstances is not able to afford normal rent of 500-600 per month in ordinary housing accommodation.

Please feel free to PM me should you wish to discuss or for "vetting" of potential tenant.

Looking for something in the West Galway Area (Oranmore, Claregalway, Castlegar, Parkmore, Loughgeorge, Corundulla, ect.)

Thank you kindly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

While I am sure your intentions are good this is an arrangement that is very dangerous to the owner. Insurance alone would be a concern. This really isn't a viable option and your friend should go to the local housing authority. No way is this a long term solution or even short term one.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your post. While I appreciate your input, this individual has already been living independently in this campervan extremely successfully for the past two years already being completely self sufficient with solar panels and an array of leisure batteries for power, disposing of waste once a week in the local recycling center, has a fully equipped gas stove and functioning electric oven, hot shower, double bed within, TV, radio, decorated extremely well inside, ect..

While on the surface the living circumstances may seem rather unorthodox, I can assure you that there are a few hundred people at least in the country doing the same. There was an article in the Independent only this past week about a young student in Dublin residing in her campervan full time whilst finishing her degree due to high rents in the capital. (https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/sky-high-dublin-rents-drive-college-student-to-live-in-a-campervan-40465559.html)

The individual I am seeking this for (not myself - but wouldn`t mind either way if anyone did think it was for myself) already had a permanent parking space for the last two years which was on a small plot of land but this subsequently got sold leaving a new parking space to be sought now. With the right arrangement for parking space, it is a completely viable option.

Kind Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think Ray is right about insurance, were something like a fire to break out in the campervan while it is on private land then the landowner will find themselves uninsured for whatever the fall out is from that. Im pretty sure house insurance policies specifically mention that they do not cover people living in caravans/campervans on their own property.

You're right to say there is a sizable cohort of people now campervanning because of the housing crises, we had a very good thread by a poster on here who was doing it a couple of years ago. There was also a girl on the radio only last week who bought a campervan so she can live and sleep in it when she attends university in UCD because she just cannot afford Dublin rents. But the difference with these folk is they are constantly on the move every night so as to remain under the radar. They have different quiet parking spots that they sleep at never spending more than a night at a time there. What your friend needs is very different to that, he is looking for a permanent spot with landowner permission which is a lot harder.

The only suggestion I could make is camping grounds/parks who do have the required insurance to allow overnights. With the hope of your friend doing a deal to do oddjobs around the place. The problem though is a lot of them are seasonal and may not operate in winter but it could be a solution for March to October every year.

Its a tricky one because even if he were to find a landowner what he is asking is for them to turn a blind eye to the insurance problem and also the chance of the council finding out and taking action as well. Thats not easy, he would be asking a landowner to take risks for a small amount of rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OP - why don’t you rent a runndown kip of a house with a bit of land and park him there? You can organise with the landlord if he has access to the house/toilet or not and he will be protected somewhat with at least a years lease. A no visitors / no other campers clause can be inserted.

I see people in the subarbs with campervans in gardens & occasionally there are visitors who holiday in them. Having had a family caravan I know the issues will be run-off grey water, somewhere appropriate for sewage dumping and water filling stations/access. You’re not self sufficient in these aspects in a camper van as they have to filled/pumped out and refilled every 3 days or week or so. A ‘bit of land’ does not afford these facilities. Not to mention washing/laundry and proper long term showering facilities.
    It’s not as straightforward as you imply.

Also as he gets older how will living in an aluminium can suit him - it might be better to futire proof now rather than wait til
    there is a crisis. If he had his ‘own’ L/T lease on a council house he could possibly park out front and work from there while having the security of a house to retreat to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Large construction projects used to have a security person who lived in a caravan might be an option. As another poster said a caravan park might like the security in the closed season, what do they do with their wastewater, and what toileting facilities do they have?

• Advertisement

Perhaps have a look into property guardianship or caretakers required in the area for vacant properties or large country estates who need a presence onsite. Camelot are the main company I know of but there might be more.

I hope he gets sorted. It's one thing living in a camper van when young but retirement age is very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

kian163 wrote: »
    Perhaps have a look into property guardianship or caretakers required in the area for vacant properties or large country estates who need a presence onsite. Camelot are the main company I know of but there might be more.

I hope he gets sorted. It's one thing living in a camper van when young but retirement age is very different.

Good idea on large country estates who might want a pretense/caretaker.

Agree living in a campervan in retirement through winters in Ireland is not a good situation. I think if he goes to the council/social welfare and proves he has a housing need then he can get the HAP scheme where they pay most of the rent. Surely thats what the scheme is for, people who are becoming homeless because they cannot afford the rent on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 RachEv

Hi
    Please check the local councils laws on planning permission for a campervan on a property. Most councils do not allow a campervan to be in position for more than 9 months of the year. Also they are not meant to be lived in as a permanent home. I don't agree with this but have seen it become an issue before. There was a story recently of a family who had a mobile home in the their parents back garden and were forced to remove it by the council leaving them homeless.
    All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

subscriber wrote: »
    Hi Ray,

Thanks for your post. While I appreciate your input, this individual has already been living independently in this campervan extremely successfully for the past two years already being completely self sufficient with solar panels and an array of leisure batteries for power, disposing of waste once a week in the local recycling center, has a fully equipped gas stove and functioning electric oven, hot shower, double bed within, TV, radio, decorated extremely well inside, ect..

While on the surface the living circumstances may seem rather unorthodox, I can assure you that there are a few hundred people at least in the country doing the same. There was an article in the Independent only this past week about a young student in Dublin residing in her campervan full time whilst finishing her degree due to high rents in the capital. (https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/sky-high-dublin-rents-drive-college-student-to-live-in-a-campervan-40465559.html)

The individual I am seeking this for (not myself - but wouldn`t mind either way if anyone did think it was for myself) already had a permanent parking space for the last two years which was on a small plot of land but this subsequently got sold leaving a new parking space to be sought now. With the right arrangement for parking space, it is a completely viable option.

Kind Regards

He wasn't living independently, somebody allowed him on their property while breaking local planning laws. They took a large insurance risk for him. To find another person willing to do this is going to be difficult.
    While other people also breaking parking, planning, insurance etc... Still doesn't make it a good idea.
    Huge difference between 65 and 70 so this is not a sustainable lifestyle. Start now to get him proper housing for his later years which are very soon.
    No problem with unorthodox lifestyles but relying on the kindness of strangers is not self sufficient. Also not something to base your later years accommodation on.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Hi guys,

Can`t thank you enough for all your input and comments, everyone included. Some very beneficial insights from everyone, I will follow up on these suggestions made above and see where it goes. Some suggestions made that never even entered my head until now with advice given.

Thanks very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

“Van life” is a mobile life, I’m not sure your friend in going to find an permanent site. I’ve a camper van myself that I use for surfing and I’ve seen surfers living in their van long term, sometimes static, for example Pete in Easkey or mobile line English Tod in Clare, the best advice I can give is for them to apply for social housing. Then see the country and travel around, there are plenty of place you can park for few days in along the coast line, staying at beaches and harbours (which often have water and toilet),. The Sligo Mayo and Clare coasts would be the ones I know best. This is something I’d advise doing in the summer then find places to stay for a week or two at a time in winter.

For a 64 year old this would not be a great life long term but there are great communities out there they might be able to fall in with. Saying that I’d be looking for social housing going forward.

If a camper is parked on one public site long term it's a target for break-ins for example Tam who live in bus in Easky had several generators stolen

Advertisement