Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain & Leaves Question

Options
  • 30-05-2021 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

After a month of heavy rain, a new tree that was blooming prior to the heavy rain is now weeping a lot. Is this normal and just caused by the heavy rain? Just nervous since it is a new tree, 10 ft red oak

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when you say weeping, i assume you mean a weeping posture, rather than a fluid is weeping from the tree?

do the leaves themselves look healthy? a photo would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

when you say weeping, i assume you mean a weeping posture, rather than a fluid is weeping from the tree?

do the leaves themselves look healthy? a photo would help.

Thanks for replying! Weep might be the wrong word, maybe drooping is better? Yes to a weeping posture. They're also turning a small bit yellow. There are two trees, one was blooming and now is like this. The other wasn't blooming as much but is doing fine now and not weeping. They get direct sun from 6am until around 1pm and then shaded sun until 6pm/7pm, after which they get a bit stronger sun until the sun sets. It might not look it in the photos but they have loads of space around them, i.e. plenty of wind blowing on them while also being sheltered. It is probably nothing, it's just since they're new and this happened all of a sudden i am unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭JPup

Thanks for replying! Weep might be the wrong word, maybe drooping is better? Yes to a weeping posture. They're also turning a small bit yellow. There are two trees, one was blooming and now is like this. The other wasn't blooming as much but is doing fine now and not weeping. They get direct sun from 6am until around 1pm and then shaded sun until 6pm/7pm, after which they get a bit stronger sun until the sun sets. It might not look it in the photos but they have loads of space around them, i.e. plenty of wind blowing on them while also being sheltered. It is probably nothing, it's just since they're new and this happened all of a sudden i am unsure.

Look fine to my job professional eyes. Maybe worth giving them some feed and/or mulching around the base with some good compost or manure.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ulmus

The leaves of Tree 1 look like signs of iron deficiency, chlorosis. I see it in some oaks planted as street trees in Dublin city centre.
    https://www.arboraesthetics.com/blog/iron-deficiency-in-trees-is-easy-to-treat

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That tie in the last pic looks as though it needs some attention. There should be a divider holding the tree away from the stake. Suggest you remove the cane also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Have you created a sump

JPup wrote: »
    Look fine to my job professional eyes. Maybe worth giving them some feed and/or mulching around the base with some good compost or manure.
    Would regular multi puporse John Innes compost be okay?
    Ulmus wrote: »
    The leaves of Tree 1 look like signs of iron deficiency, chlorosis. I see it in some oaks planted as street trees in Dublin city centre.
    https://www.arboraesthetics.com/blog/iron-deficiency-in-trees-is-easy-to-treat
    :/ It's hard to tell from the article if that would be something easy to fix or not. Could the rain have caused this? I have some tree surgeons coming up to prune some other trees during the week, I might get them to take a look at it. Im nervous of treating it myself and making it worse and or be treating the wrong thing.
    looksee wrote: »
    That tie in the last pic looks as though it needs some attention. There should be a divider holding the tree away from the stake. Suggest you remove the cane also.
    Is the tie too tight? Any suggestions for a divider? When we planted them we were told to keep the cane to keep them growing straight, that the ties around the cane will snap when it's ready to come out.
    Have you created a sump
    no waterlogging or surface water. Soil seems to be well drained. not too wet, not to dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

There's obvious wind damage to young leaves, with tears in many. It'll bounce back. Just give it time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭looksee

About the tie, if you put the tie too tight and hold it up against the stake it can bind and damage the bark. Usually on ties there is a loop that creates a figure of 8 shape, with one loop round the tree and the other round the stake.

I went to a garden centre to buy feed and mentioned iron deficiency. they said if the soil isn't too sodden, it's likely not a root issue and it would be a soil issue. going to spread a thin layer of compost mixed with chicken manure pellets and hope for the best. Thank you all for your replies and help. hopefully this can be fixed.

they said too the drought followed by sudden heavy rain is not good for trees.

• Advertisement

Tree surgeons came today for some other trees and took a look at it. Just windburn from northerly winds they said thank God

Advertisement