Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was speeding pretty badly yesterday

Options
  • 30-05-2021 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Has anyone here ever gone speeding and then done something about it? What did you do? I don't know what there is that I even can do

I posted this in another board and was pointed here for personal posts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,188 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Has anyone here ever gone speeding and then done something about it? What did you do? I don't know what there is that I even can do

Your best course of action now is to go and do an advanced driving course. This should help you improve your driving standards and awareness.

Is it the excitement of speed that caused you to do it, or where you late or pissed off about something? You need to think about why you were driving so fast in order to figure out how to correct your actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭893bet

Hand yourself in OP. They are looking for you and this will be the least pain in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Has anyone here ever gone speeding and then done something about it?

You could take a load of benzos to counteract the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 stupididiot

funkey_monkey No there was really no reason. I wasn't late, it didn't save me any time because I just pulled over for a bit for a break anyway. I don't think there was any "excitement" from it either. I was pretty tired and this was my first time driving long distance on my own so maybe I just wasn't thinking? I really don't know.

Someone suggested an advanced driving course in the other thread too. Have you done one? Are they largely about road safety?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Best job is to down a few cans of beer after to calm back down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,557 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Sell your car and start cycling.
    That way, when you come home after breaking a point A to point B record, you'll be rushing to Strava to see what records you've grabbed rather Boards looking for penance.

Thanks Ubbquittious but I was more thinking of some form of rehabilitation then just feeling better about it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The op was doing about three fiddy.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Drive your car in reverse for about 100 miles , it'll undo the feeling of guilt and speeding.

Op you need to go see an exorcist

• Advertisement

Id buy a ticket to Mexico the Feds are coming

Thanks Ubbquittious but I was more thinking of some form of rehabilitation then just feeling better about it

Ah but the beer has great rehabilitative powers. Don't go for mass produced slop, get something with lots of herbs and flavours that was brewed up in the mountains by monks who live off the grid in Bhutan

How fast were you going? 80 in a 50 or 200km on a motorway. Speeding 'pretty badly' is subjective.

There's a phenomenon that I forget the name of that sees people pushing themselves to do strange things, like the thought of walking to the very edge of a cliff even though it frightens you. Might be that kind of thing.

funkey_monkey No there was really no reason. I wasn't late, it didn't save me any time because I just pulled over for a bit for a break anyway. I don't think there was any "excitement" from it either. I was pretty tired and this was my first time driving long distance on my own so maybe I just wasn't thinking? I really don't know.

Someone suggested an advanced driving course in the other thread too. Have you done one? Are they largely about road safety?

I have done it. There are parts related to safety, but it is primarily taking you through how to be a better driver such as hazard awareness, driving appropriately etc. I didn't do it in Ireland so I think you'd need to contact them in order to figure out what their content is.

How long have you been driving? Unlike many on the roads you seem to have recognised the stupidity of what you have done. That is a major part of the way. You just need to keep yourself in check now.

Get yourself sorted before you kill someone and ruin lives.

Good luck.

Chinese_whospers I was doing 10-20 over the limit in a lot of the 100 and 120 zones, and I went above 30 over for one stretch

Yeah it's called "into the void" or something like that. I think that implies that you don't actually go through with it though (in this case I assume "going through with it" is actually speeding)

BTW you're get more sensible and helpful replies in the motoring forum than in here.

Isn't the advanced driving course primarily to get reduced motor insurance?

There's a strong vibe of Fr Dougal on roller skates about this thread.

Chinese_whospers I was doing 10-20 over the limit in a lot of the 100 and 120 zones, and I went above 30 over for one stretch

Yeah it's called "into the void" or something like that. I think that implies that you don't actually go through with it though (in this case I assume "going through with it" is actually speeding)

So you were driving the same speed as everyone else basically

A lot of people driving 10-20 over on a 100km road would consider that driving. Not condoning it, but if everyone that drove that fast was off the road, we'd have very quiet roads.

By which I mean, it's hardly something to beat yourself up over. Just, you know, don't do it again.

Thanks funkey_monkey, I was getting a little disheartened at half of the replies being jokes. I will try the motoring forum too. I've had my license for about a year and a half but this was my first time doing a long trip on my own because I just haven't needed to with covid, on the way back i just set the cruise control and just didn't touch the pedal in the 100 and 120 zones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Tails142

That's called making good time.

Chinese_whospers surely people who do this regularly get caught by the speed cameras, or do they all just know where they are and slow down for them?

Thanks funkey_monkey, I was getting a little disheartened at half of the replies being jokes. I will try the motoring forum too. I've had my license for about a year and a half but this was my first time doing a long trip on my own because I just haven't needed to with covid, on the way back i just set the cruise control and just didn't touch the pedal in the 100 and 120 zones

If you post in the motor forum, post the speeds you were driving in the OP. It'll cut out those that think you were driving F1 speeds through b road hamlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭SteM

Speeding badly. You mean you were going slowly then?

Chinese_whospers surely people who do this regularly get caught by the speed cameras, or do they all just know where they are and slow down for them?

No, if you get caught driving by speed cameras the fault is with your road awareness mores so that speed (technically not true), but you could very easily get caught by the gardai at that speed, but they are rather rare these days due to speed vans taking over the roads. But, the speed vans might adapt different technology in time.

But, is that what you were worried about, getting caught speeding?

Chinese_whospers yeah I realise my opinion on the speed is pretty subjective, I'll do that.

Thanks SteM, I got a chuckle out of that one

Chinese_whispers not really worried, I assume I already have at least 5 penalty points in the mail. I was just probing at the "if everyone that drove that fast was off the road, we'd have very quiet roads"

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Speed as in drugs? or driving? or sex?

Chinese_whispers not really worried, I assume I already have at least 5 penalty points in the mail. I was just probing at the "if everyone that drove that fast was off the road, we'd have very quiet roads"

Not by AGS, you might if you passed a speed van. But, if you didn't spot one you're probably fine.

• Advertisement

Chinese_whospers sorry to be so dense, but what is AGS? Googling it only comes up with financial and heating companies

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement