Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodies garden table issues

Options
  • 30-05-2021 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

So, I bought a 600 euro garden table in woodies. It is hard plastic with a wood effect (see photo). Today we were enjoying the sun and I noticed a few burnt spots on it. I thought in the beginning that they were from flying embers from the bbq, and my wife was quite pissed off because of it. After a while I realized that the beer glass that I was drinking was causing “magnifying glass effect” (like in the cartoons) and the sun was actually burning the table. Obviously I suppose that this is not on and that I should be getting a refund? Of course I don’t have the receipt. I bought it about a month and a half ago

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

See photo of the wood effect and the damage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

No chance of a refund.

Table does not have a fault.

Get a different glass, problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

On the other hand a garden table that you can't leave a glass on of a sunny day isn't much use.

You could make a case that it's not of merchantable quality and look for a refund.

How did you pay?

elperello wrote: »
    On the other hand a garden table that you can't leave a glass on of a sunny day isn't much use.

You could make a case that it's not of merchantable quality and look for a refund.

How did you pay?

This is my point, it has happened with two different kind of glasses. Paid by phone/card

Darc19 wrote: »
    No chance of a refund.

Table does not have a fault.

Get a different glass, problem solved.

So, are you telling me that a table that gets burned by the sun going through a bog standard glass is something sellable?

• Advertisement

By the way, the damage was done in less than 10 minutes of the glass being on the table. We discovered it when I changed the position of the glass (not suspecting anything) and then realizing in 5-10 minutes that it was actually burning the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

the table is a fire hazard

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You mean the sun?

Didn’t realize of this, but you’re right. I suppose it could catch fire if left unattended.

Didn’t realize of this, but you’re right. I suppose it could catch fire if left unattended.

Glass magnification of sunlight can reach over 500 degrees, I hate to state the obvious, but wood effect plastic melts, wood does not.

• Advertisement

This is my point, it has happened with two different kind of glasses. Paid by phone/card

The transaction record is your proof of purchase.

Get on to them in the am. Insist on a full refund.

Woodies has sold you an outdoor table that can't be used in the sun.

The transaction record is your proof of purchase.

Get on to them in the am. Insist on a full refund.

Woodies has sold you an outdoor table that can't be used in the sun.

Eh, it can be used in the sun. The plastic in it just doesn’t respond well to magnified sunlight, most plastics do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

A garden table that melts in the sun is about as useful as an inflatable dartboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Dav010 wrote: »
    You mean the sun?

he could have a candle in a glass on the table

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭accensi0n

blade1 wrote: »
    A garden table that melts in the sun is about as useful as an inflatable dartboard.

Except it doesn't melt in the sun.

It's like saying the dart board isn't fit for purpose after firing the dart out of a cannon. :)

Table melts 10 minutes after placing a beer glass on the table. That’s completely normal use, no cannons to fire darts or other silly comparison. If a table is not sustaining that, it’s not fit for outdoor use

accensi0n wrote: »
    Except it doesn't melt in the sun.

It's like saying the dart board isn't fit for purpose after firing the dart out of a cannon. :)

Except a dart couldn't be fired through a cannon but sun naturally shines through glass. :)

Eh, it can be used in the sun. The plastic in it just doesn’t respond well to magnified sunlight, most plastics do not.

It can only be used in the sun if you don't put a glass on it.

Who would buy a garden table with such a limitation on it's use?

The table is not fit for purpose unless it came with a warning not to leave glasses on it.

If a child scalded their hand on melting plastic in the op's scenario who'd be held responsible?

It can only be used in the sun if you don't put a glass on it.

Who would buy a garden table with such a limitation on it's use?

The table is not fit for purpose unless it came with a warning not to leave glasses on it.

Unfortunately, like many people I have known the frustration of leaving a hot mug on a wood coffee table, only to be left with a circular burn mark. Was my coffee take unfit for purpose? No, I left something hot on it. In the op’s case, the glass magnifies the sunlight to a temperature which distorted the plastic, equally frustrating, but the table is no less fit for purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,995 ✭✭✭Xander10

I'm sure they will refund if the facts are true

I wonder have they had any similar returns

blade1 wrote: »
    If a child scalded their hand on melting plastic in the op's scenario who'd be held responsible?

To be honest, it melted at not too high temperature, that’s the main issue. I think the plastic used has a really low melting point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

So is the plastic of this table top softer and more susceptible to heat than say any plastic table?
    I'd guess no and this is just the reason even cheap garden tables have metal or glass tops rather than plastic.

Xander10 wrote: »
    I'm sure they will refund if the facts are true

I wonder have they had any similar returns

I can’t be the only one. I’m sure it must have happened before

Unfortunately, like many people I have known the frustration of leaving a hot mug on a wood coffee table, only to be left with a circular burn mark. Was my coffee take unfit for purpose? No, I left something hot on it. In the op’s case, the glass magnifies the sunlight to a temperature which distorted the plastic, equally frustrating, but the table is no less fit for purpose.

An interesting point but bear in mind that everyone knows not to place a hot cup on a polished wooden surface.

In the OP's case it can be argued that anyone enjoying a cold drink in a garden could reasonably expect that they could leave the glass on a table supplied for use outdoors.

As I said in an earlier post unless Woodies provided some warning of the possibility of combustion they should refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Tomorrow is supposed to be a fine day again.

See if you can catch a video of it happening and present that to Woodies.

Definitely not fit for purpose if what you're saying is true and a bit too expensive just to leave it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Dav010 wrote:
    Glass magnification of sunlight can reach over 500 degrees, I hate to state the obvious, but wood effect plastic melts, wood does not.

Wood can burn under similar circumstances of sunlight being concentrated through a glass.

Does this mean wooden garden furniture isn't suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What kind of glass containers are we talking about here?
    This wouldn't be "normal" behaviour for "most" glass containers I have seen in the outdoors and/or the surface of an outdoor table.

Wood can burn under similar circumstances of sunlight being concentrated through a glass.

Does this mean wooden garden furniture isn't suitable?

You are right.

My outdoor wood table has lots of marks on it, is it fit for purpose? Has been for the past 10 yrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Shame on Woodies. Selling a table that is not capable of defying the laws of Physics. Shame I say!

Seriously though if the glass is designed in such a way that it magnifies sunlight enough to burn a plastic table it would burn anything else it was left on. A plastic table would slightly melt. A wooden table could catch fire. A table cloth would almost certainly catch fire. I suggest your complaint is with the manufacturer of the glass and you should not use those glasses outside again no matter what you left it on.

Advertisement