Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upgrade to 3080 from 2070 Super

• 31-05-2021 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys, i am mainly running Flight Sim/P3D etc and i currently have an RTX 2070 Super 8GB. I was thinking of upgrading to a 30 series. I know very little if anything about GPU's to be honest hence why i'm asking here.

In terms of graphics visual quality am i gaining anything or is it just FSP i'm getting? my PC is only just over a year old with an i7 9700k 3.6 ghz processor.

thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭SeanW

I'd advise against making any changes in your setup right now. Mainly because modern graphics cards are almost nonexistent. You may have heard about a chip shortage, this is seriously affecting the supply of both AMD Radeon and NVidia GeForce graphics cards. To make matters worse, cryptocurrency miners have been grabbing every graphics card they can get their hands on while scalpers got the rest. And at least as far as NVidia is concerned, AFAIK the generational improvement from the 20 series to the 30 series is not that great.

With any 20 series card, you might want to consider skipping this generation, though many will be doing so out of necessity regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Cheers Sean!

If you do decide to get a 3080 (~1500e on casekingDOTde) just make sure the PSU is up to the task. Decent 750 unit and up.

I just saw the shortage appears to be gone. Seems to be easy enough to get one now.

I wonder how much id get for my 2070 Super thats 2 years old?

Really depends. I'd check adverts and see what people are selling 2070s' for. Around 6-700 would be my guess though. Or under 550 if you want it snatched up.

• Advertisement

I wonder is it just performance is all im gaining to a 3080 or would there a noticeable visual quality too?

Yeah I mean, there's obviously the fps part, but you can turn up graphics settings, resolution (if you have a higher res monitor), RTX etc.

As far as features are concerned, Second gen RT cores, 3rd gen Tensor cores, DLSS, NVENC etc.

Advertisement