Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revenue cheque

Options
  • 31-05-2021 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello, I have a Bank of Ireland cheque that was issued by Revenue. I do not hold an account in Bank of Ireland and do not reside in Ireland. Is there any way to cash in this cheque anywhere that would not require me to get visa/fly to Ireland? 

Are there any banks in Europe that can cash in BoI cheques? 

If I do need to visit Ireland to cash it in, will I need to open an account to be able to cash the cheque? 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

Hello, I have a Bank of Ireland cheque that was issued by Revenue. I do not hold an account in Bank of Ireland and do not reside in Ireland. Is there any way to cash in this cheque anywhere that would not require me to get visa/fly to Ireland? 

If I do need to visit Ireland to cash it in, will I need to open an account to be able to cash the cheque? 
    Hi YuriiBoltian,

Thanks for reaching out to us here today on Boards.ie.

If you don't have an account with ourselves, it would be best to link in with your own bank to check your options to lodge this cheque into your account. We're afraid we would be unable to cash cheques at our branches.

Thanks,
    Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 6 YuriiBoltian

Hi YuriiBoltian,

If you don't have an account with ourselves, it would be best to link in with your own bank to check your options to lodge this cheque into your account. We're afraid we would be unable to cash cheques at our branches.

Thanks,
    Richard
    I'm sorry I do not understand what you mean by "... we would be unable to cash cheques at our branches."? Is it not possible to cash in the cheque in the branch even if I come to the bank of ireland branch personally? If so, what are the reasons and what do I need to do to make it happen? 

Can you advise on my options? None of local banks process cheques where I'm residing, so I'm not understanding what can I do with this cheque. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Hi YuriiBoltian,

Thanks,
    Richard
    I'm sorry I do not understand what you mean by "... we would be unable to cash cheques at our branches."? Is it not possible to cash in the cheque in the branch even if I come to the bank of ireland branch personally? If so, what are the reasons and what do I need to do to make it happen? 

Can you advise on my options? None of local banks process cheques where I'm residing, so I'm not understanding what can I do with this cheque. 
    You can lodge a chq in any Irish Bank account  for the name on the physical chq, does not have to be BOI.
    You cannot cash it directly. If you are aboard without an active Irish bank account & your current bank account won't cash it, then you are stuck.

Have you got any Irish Bank Account with any of the banks?

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

BronsonTB wrote: »

Hi YuriiBoltian,

Thanks,
    Richard

You can lodge a chq in any Irish Bank account  for the name on the physical chq, does not have to be BOI.
    You cannot cash it directly. If you are aboard without an active Irish bank account & your current bank account won't cash it, then you are stuck.

No, I do not have an account in any with any of Irish banks. From my understanding it wouldn't be possible without proof of residence in Ireland, which I do not have unfortunately as I never was in Ireland (although was working there with work permit remotely). 

Is it possible for someone else who have an account in boi to lodge my cheque and withdraw cash from their account? 

Hi YuriiBoltian,

Thanks,
    Richard

No, I do not have an account in any with any of Irish banks. From my understanding it wouldn't be possible without proof of residence in Ireland, which I do not have unfortunately as I never was in Ireland (although was working there with work permit remotely). 

Is it possible for someone else who have an account in boi to lodge my cheque and withdraw cash from their account? 
    Are you registered on revenue.ie? You may be able to setup to pay directly to your bank account rather than having a chq issued.
    Not sure if you can still sign the back of the chq & have it logged to a different persons account. They could then transfer the funds once the chq has cleared.

• Advertisement

Hi YuriiBoltian,

Thanks,
    Richard

Are you registered on revenue.ie? You may be able to setup to pay directly to your bank account rather than having a chq issued.
    Not sure if you can still sign the back of the chq & have it logged to a different persons account. They could then transfer the funds once the chq has cleared.
    I am registered on revenue.ie, but they didn't accept my IBAN as it seem that non Irish banks are not eligible to be used for refunds. Also since the cheque is already issued they cannot process it via bank transfer. 

Every step of the process of refund has been very frustrating so far, but I'm still hoping I can somehow deal with this as it's a huge sum of money. 

Is the physical cheque crossed as 'a/c payee only'?
    If so it can only be lodged into an account of the same name.

BOI Reps - Would you accept a revenue chq if this user endorsed it to a third party?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

Hi all,

If this cheque is not crossed, you can endorse the cheque by signing the back of it. This can then be lodged into an account with ourselves. Hope this information helps.

Thanks,
    Richard

Hello, do cheques have a time limit for when they must be lodged? If so what is it and what happens if it expires?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Megan

Good afternoon,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie.

Cheques would expire within 6 months. If the cheque is expired, you will need to contact the person/company who issued the cheque to either reissue it to you or discuss an alternative payment method.

I hope this information helps.

Thanks, Megan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭WicklowTiger

As far as I know you can open an Irish bank account while resident abroad, this looks like the only solution for you I think

How do I open a non-resident account? - Bank of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Megan

Good morning,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

To open a Non-Resident account with Bank of Ireland you will need to have a financial tie to Ireland. This meaning that money needs to go through the account that originated in Ireland. eg. wages, pension, inheritance, property. If you do not have a financial tie, we would be unable to process an application.

Please let us know your circumstances and I would be happy to assist further

Thanks, Megan

Hello, can you please advise how can I cancell cheque before it's expiry date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Eve

Hi there, thanks for your post here on Boards.ie.

In order to cancel a cheque issued from your account I would advise contacting our customer service desk directly.

If you log on to your Mobile App and select 'Services' then 'Send us a message' and one of my colleagues would be more than happy to assist you further.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, Eve

Advertisement