Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options and a buried phone line

Options
  • 31-05-2021 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

In-laws have been using a wireless broadband option for a while, and the signal strength and speed is somewhat variable. They are looking for another options.

Broadband via landline may be a possibility, and they could get around 10mb, as they are some distance from the exchange.

To make matters more challenging, when the house was built and the phone put in the wire was for some reason put under ground, running through a pipe to the installation point. The installation point looks rather dodgy as well.

I know they can just apply for broadband and can cancel if the speed isn’t good enough, but I wonder if it’s an option to get a new line in to replace the old one?

More importantly can this be something that the engineer could do if forewarned? I don’t think any customer service reps would be able to handle this at the initial order time.

Other option is that the 4g speeds are not bad average of 30mb down 5mb up and I could get a 4g router for the house and just use that with a suitable data plan.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭trant

Is the line functional at the moment? What does the availability check on airwire.ie show for their EirCode?

Usually the KN tech assigned to the order will evaluate the line before trying anything else, but if it's underground and blocked/ducting is damaged it's up to you to fix before they can connect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DecTenToo

Yes, the line is functional and availability shows VDSL only.
    but if it's underground and blocked/ducting is damaged it's up to you to fix before they can connect you

Thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The important bit is if it works it wont be replaced. They may replace the NTU (box on the wall).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Is fibre to the home available in the area or are there any plans for it in the near future? Could it use / reuse the same underground ducting?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

trant wrote: »
    Usually the KN tech assigned to the order will evaluate the line before trying anything else, but if it's underground and blocked/ducting is damaged it's up to you to fix before they can connect you.

In my case, the KN engineer found my duct was blocked but OpenEir organized a KN civils guy to come out who kango'd a new opening and was able to unblock it. I wasn't charged.

However, this was to install a new fiber line. I doubt an existing copper line would be replaced as I doubt if there is any benefit in doing that.

• Advertisement

Thanks. It's existing copper cable.

I've checked and tested 4g coverage in the area, so a 4g router may be a better option given their usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭trant

Are they included in the National Broadband Plan intervention area - nbi.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

DecTenToo wrote: »
    Thanks. It's existing copper cable.

I've checked and tested 4g coverage in the area, so a 4g router may be a better option given their usage.

If you can get 5G then that might be an even better option, either to tether a 5g phone or buy a 5g wifi router (expensive). Three have "unlimited" data with 5G for 25 / 28 days.

trant wrote: »
    Are they included in the National Broadband Plan intervention area - nbi.ie?

No, unfortunately. While the town does have broadband, and is purported to offer speeds of 30mbps or greater, that's not the case. They're at the edge of town and 10mb may be pushing it.

If you can get 5G then that might be an even better option, either to tether a 5g phone or buy a 5g wifi router (expensive). Three have "unlimited" data with 5G for 25 / 28 days.

Unfortunately, it's 4g only at the moment.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone.

If I want to get broadband in over copper, then I have to "suck it and see" as to what the speeds are and then consider the new line, depending on noise. No guarantee either way.

Fibre is out, as is anything to do with the national broadband rollout.

5g currently isn't planned in that area.

4g is looking like the only option as they don't want to stick with the existing LOS wifi provider

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

DecTenToo wrote: »
    No, unfortunately. While the town does have broadband, and is purported to offer speeds of 30mbps or greater, that's not the case. They're at the edge of town and 10mb may be pushing it.

If they can't actually get 30mbps you can contact the Department of Communications to request they are added, see https://nbi.ie/faqs/

Some premises have been missed in error or its possible Eir or another provider has indicated they intend to cover it and had it removed but they should be able to advise.

dam099 wrote: »
    If they can't actually get 30mbps you can contact the Department of Communications to request they are added, see https://nbi.ie/faqs/

Cheers, will give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Quite unlikely. Aggregated 4G is on par with 5G as it stands here outside of unicorn cases.

Advertisement