Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on issues with Eir F3000

Options
  • 31-05-2021 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

I am trying to diagnose a problem with my Eir DSL connection and would appreciate any advice more learned folks here could offer.

Summary of problem:
    - internet drops out on modem/router (only Power and WiFi lights on)
    - can still connect to modem via WiFi and get into settings
    - usually several weeks between occurances but has occurred multiple times within a single week
    - downtime isn't consistent, can range from around 2 to 48 hours
    - issues only started after switching to Eir and had zero problems with Pure Telecom before

Home setup:
    - 20m RJ11 running from box through attic and down into F3000 in the sitting room
    - ethernet to TV and through to office with everything else connecting via WiFi
    - no landline handset connected

Eir support could only lead me through the standard troubleshooting steps (on/off, reset) and reported connection was fine on their end.

I have a fix that works maybe 50% of the time which is to disconnect the F3000 and reconnect with a shorter cable nearer the network box. The connection won't always come back, and even if it does, there is no guarantee it will be there when I move the modem back to its usual spot. This would, of course, suggest a cable issue but I tested with two fresh cables during a long period of downtime over the weekend and had no success.

I work remotely and need to be available for Zoom calls so a reliable connection is a must and I'm now trying to decide on the best course of action from here:
    1) pressure Eir for a new modem/router
    2) pick up a new modem (Draytek Vigor 130 or Fritz Box 7360 maybe?) and router
    3) just bide my time until the contract ends in January...

Also, with no sign of fibre in the near future, is there any point in using a standalone router with an ~80Mbps DSL connection in a small apartment setup? I see the TP-Link C2300 going for 100 quid on Komplett at the moment.

I've tried to provide as much info as possible here so apologies if a bit long-winded and thanks for reading.

Advertisement