Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding an architect

Options
  • 31-05-2021 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

How do you go about finding an architect? Do you just look at websites for people in your area to see if you like their style? They all have lovely pictures on their sites so it's hard to distinguish between them. I want to find somebody that can design for family life. I love [snip].

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Sorry for posting names. She's a TV architect, whose work I really like because it is both practical for families and looks great. I thought that would give an idea of the type of architect I'm looking for. Re. fees, I didn't mean to comment on her actual fees, more on the cost of flying an architect in from the UK.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sorry for posting names. She's a TV architect, whose work I really like because it is both practical for families and looks great. I thought that would give an idea of the type of architect I'm looking for. Re. fees, I didn't mean to comment on her actual fees, more on the cost of flying an architect in from the UK.

Fair enough. I did not realise who it was....I thought she was local!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

Hadn't thought of that at all. It's a house extension project so hopefully that won't be too much of an issue. I've looked at plans for extensions in our area and I see a lot of extensions that are just shoving a box on the back/side of the house and not too much thought to the internal layout. We have a sunroom shoved on the back of the house as it is and it is a useless space that blocks light from the other rooms - a real waste of money. I really want a design that takes account of how we live, the light (it's north facing at the back unfortunately) and things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

If you are looking for a creative design that takes account of light and family lifestyle you need an architect. I will PM you the name of a lady in the midlands but if this is Dublin she might not be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

My two cents...

Drive around your area (and you probably know of a few houses already) that you like the design of, go then to your local planning website look up the house and the drawings and see who did it. give them a call.

I wouldn't go with with the big practices that have a lot of people as they will have massive overheads that need paying, go with a small firm or some lad out on his own.

Look up the RIAI website for Architects in your area https://www.riai.ie/work-with-an-architect/find-an-architect

Best of luck

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
Advertisement