Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compost Heap.....Cover or not?

Options
  • 01-06-2021 8:36am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have a decent sized compost heap....well over a square metre I reckon. Shredder, kitchen and general garden cuttings, no grass cuttings.

Just dumped a watering can of water on it now.
    Is it beneficial or will it speed up the process if I cover it with, say, cardboard, which will keep the moisture in or just let it breath normally?

It composts really well and I get a decent few wheel barrows off it every year.

Cover or not? It's in a relatively shaded area ie. slight tree cover so not directly in the rain but it gets some rain.
    Cheers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Covering it helps keep some heat in and, more importantly, stops it getting too wet in bad weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

It does need to be covered, to keep in the heat but something permeable is better, like cardboard or old carpet, (not foam-lined). It should have some moisture content but not excessive so some kind of impermeable cover for when heavy rain is forecast will help.
    You say you don't include grass cuttings, but you can, if you balance them with some"brown", woody, material like shredded hedge clippings and unbleached card or paper.

Advertisement