Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plants for screen

Options
  • 01-06-2021 10:59am
    Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to put a bed at the back of our garden to screen off the neighbours house behind.

The bed would be about 2 metres wide. I'd be looking for it to be as narrow as possible (front to back).

I'm basically looking for something tallish and thin, that will grow to about 2metres and is easily kept at that height, I wouldn't want it to go any higher. I don't want it taking up a tonne of space either.

Any ideas? I was thinking potentially bamboo?

I have young kids so nothing with thorns or with dodgy edible looking bits!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Your description of what you're trying to do and why is an echo of what I did three years ago...

I put in a miniature bamboo

I hate it - it's just a mess. They are healthy and what not but just not suited for what I was thinking..

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

:(

I maybe also should mention that we may put a seating / outdoor dining area in right beside this bed, which is why I want something that stays relatively tidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭mr_cochise

How about some kind of pergola/trellis with some climbing plant that grows over it, maybe honeysuckle.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

mr_cochise wrote: »
    How about some kind of pergola/trellis with some climbing plant that grows over it, maybe honeysuckle.

Those look nice, do they get very bushy?

I also have a block wall that I was going to trellis and put some hanging plants on so maybe the same idea could apply here.

Advertisement