Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving fully grown olive tree?

Options
  • 01-06-2021 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

My friend in Dublin has a number of grown olive trees which were in a sheltered urban garden, he needs to take one outone and I am wondering how they will replant?

He has not dug it out yet, how much depth would I need? My open garden is quiet rocky so it's hard to go deep.

I am in the midlands which does not get as much sun as the east coast. Is that a concern?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how big?
    it's best not to do it till the autumn or later. it's a bad idea to move a tree when it's not dormant.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭boardtc

I saw them, maybe 8m high. the job is going ahead on his garden very soon...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

8m? that'll be a hell of a job. i don't know how big the roots on an olive spread out, but if they've grown to that size in the ground, i suspect any attempt to move them could destroy them.

Definitely 6m anyway, they have 4 of them planted side by side in this raised bed maybe 1m high at the side of their garden. Does anyone know about olive tree roots?

that said, olive trees are much more drought resistant than your average tree you'll find growing in a garden in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How are you going to transport an 8m tree?

Maybe it's closer to 6m, the plan was to fit it in a large trailer...hopefully that's not a blocker...got to see if there is any point trying it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,683 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

boardtc wrote: »
    Maybe it's closer to 6m, the plan was to fit it in a large trailer...hopefully that's not a blocker...got to see if there is any point trying it first.

Even 6m is a brute to transport by road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

In theory, yes, it's entirely possible to move olive trees. There are dozens (maybe hundreds) that get moved every year in the south of France and in Spain when new urban development is given priority over 500-year-old olive groves.

But it's generally a well-planned operation, with lots of mechanical assistance. Not sure your friend's situation is comparable.

Here's a video of a set of salvaged 1000-year old trees being moved into position in a garden centre in southern France.

Advertisement