Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Summer/Autumn 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,866 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The real potential will be toward evening. Ironically we need rays. Once there is a hint of lift by approach to the Wicklow mountains it might kick off but I think we need a bit extra. Heat wouldn't go amiss. We may get that extra energy because i'm seeing blue skies here in north Dub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

South Kilkenny -

Dry, muggy, no rain, but cloud is coming from Wex direction.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

24.1c under this sky in South Laois

Thunder here near Arklow now

Looking SE from here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big storm ran up along the coast off Kerry but nothing here near Tralee on the coast, just one shower but nothing recorded.

A few more cloud based strikes recorded by Blitzortung.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Very aggressive sounding thunder out there. Dark but dry.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

The thunder in Tuam is something else !

Love the sound of that high based thunder! Pretty weak storm though. Another damning testament of Summer 2021.

New Moon

Cell popped up just west of Durrow, two claps of thunder, like someone kicking a ball off a metal door

• Advertisement

These pop ups spring up out of nowhere Danno and annoyingly, blow away just as quick. But.. fun while they last!

New Moon

Another view to my south, no signs of much rain (none here) despite radar. 23c

The high res ECM has better potential for the SE later on this evening as a trough slides in. Could run further north or south of this line but one to keep a side eye on perhaps.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Sweet feck all in cork city right now and it’s muggy as heck and cloudy :cry:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looks like the West could get very active this evening / tonight making for some spectacular lightning shots, and as Oneric shows beginning in the SE and possibly running up along the E and NE coasts well into the dark hours / early Thurs morning reaching the NE. Might have some good chance of Lightning shots along the E coast towards nightfall.

Could have some very heavy rain in the Midlands / N Midlands and parts of the W tonight into Thurs, spot or local flooding potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

slight mist here in Sth Kilkenny since 1.

thats it, really :)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Darwin

Very odd rumble of thunder here (West Laois), not much in the way of rain at the moment, looks likely to change later though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,327 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Not sure what a 'violent shower' is, but I see Knock had one on the 3pm observations.

All activity seems to have died away in the last hour.

OH was driving between Portlaoise and Abbeyleix around 3.30pm and there was a massive C->G strike that startled her and she pulled over. Unfortunately the dash cam missed it 🙄

• Advertisement

Will see how the front interacts over the warm land going into the evening as it pivots back in on itself, some nice cold tops to the cloud, looks to drop most of the rainfall in the W where it will rotate in on itself into tomorrow morning. Some heavy rainfall returns now moving into the W, will we see sparks there soon, should be meeting areas of convergence soon, enough to aid instability ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Was driving home that way as well Danno at that time and it was a very bright flash with a very loud blast of thunder like a cannon. I really thought there there would have been more to come but that was it unfortunately😔

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

This must be an interesting event for those who know about these things!

Raining in Cork City after a cloudy day; nothing to report in any interesting way though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

There were some nice positive strikes in that area around that time, including a 20 kA "Strong Slammer" at 15:34..

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Extremely dark in D.24.. clouds look interesting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

No mention of Thunderstorms on any of the TAF's overnight. Hard to see it sparking off now. Lots of mist and murk about overnight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

All the storms have died :(

Big one in the English Channel though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

I take back my words,thunderstorm and flash flooding here in Castlebar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,568 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

GFS model predicting 40-50 mm further potential in Galway, Connemara, Westport and Newport areas overnight and into Thursday. Also a local max of around 30 mm in central Kerry.

• Advertisement

Years ago when I used to listen to the sea area forecast (back in the 90s ) I recall the forecaster give a 'violent hail shower' report from Belmullet. It was a on one of those mad stormy winter nights we used to get back then! (I'm getting sentimental) Met services do use 'violent shower' on reports if the rain rate exceeds 50mm/h (I think that is the criteria anyway)

New Moon

Advertisement