Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Prices in Kerry

Options
  • 01-06-2021 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

Why are house prices in Kerry so high? I have been looking lately and most decent 4 bed bungalows sell in < 1 week and the asking price is similar to Cork or the commuter belt in Dublin.

Is it lack of Supply or People returning from cities to work remotely?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

eusap wrote: »
    Why are house prices in Kerry so high? I have been looking lately and most decent 4 bed bungalows sell in < 1 week and the asking price is similar to Cork or the commuter belt in Dublin.

There is a lack of supply I think. We are hoping to sell ours in the next year and we have had to wait it out a while until our house was out of negative equity and hopefully next year we will be in a position to be able to sell it as prices have finally started to go up where we live judging by recent sales. We are glad of this, but its not easy to find something else as anything we have seen online have high asking prices, so it will be interesting to see how it goes looking for something next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭dobman88

A combination of both things you've mentioned. We have been keeping an eye on Kerry prices as it's our long term plan to move back but they're steadily creeping back up.

The pandemic has shown people there is more to life than the city rat race and I know of at least 10 couples who have left Dublin and the commuter belt to move home to the west. With wfh set to become the norm and broadband generally improving, I'd expect an increase in prices before it levels off eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

dobman88 wrote: »
    A combination of both things you've mentioned. We have been keeping an eye on Kerry prices as it's our long term plan to move back but they're steadily creeping back up.

The pandemic has shown people there is more to life than the city rat race and I know of at least 10 couples who have left Dublin and the commuter belt to move home to the west. With wfh set to become the norm and broadband generally improving, I'd expect an increase in prices before it levels off eventually.

WFH will destroy plenty good jobs, soon enough employers will realise that they can get the same work done equally as good by highly educated workers in India and the Philippines for a fraction of the Irish salary and it can be done remotely and online with zoom etc. Alot of those praising Work from Home are in for some nasty surprises like manufacturing and call centre jobs before as offshoring will kill off alot of those previously highly paid jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭dobman88

theguzman wrote: »
    WFH will destroy plenty good jobs, soon enough employers will realise that they can get the same work done equally as good by highly educated workers in India and the Philippines for a fraction of the Irish salary and it can be done remotely and online with zoom etc. Alot of those praising Work from Home are in for some nasty surprises like manufacturing and call centre jobs before as offshoring will kill off alot of those previously highly paid jobs.

I dont have a job that can be done remotely for any amount of time thankfully. The missus also needs to be in the office a certain amount of the time and wfh doesnt really suit her job so thankfully it wont affect us now or in the future.

I was just saying why house prices would be high atm because of people who currently wfh moving "home".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

theguzman wrote: »

I worked in one of the major banks a few years ago who had outsourced to India. They found it didn't work and were pulling services back to Ireland.
    It works if you don't give a toss about your infrastructure or your customers.

• Advertisement

Prices seem to be rising sharply in South Kerry, it's as if this panic has set in. Presumably for the reasons in the OP, limited stock, nothing new being built, and people realising they can work and look out the window at sea and mountains and not dread 2.5 hours in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭eusap

I called around a few estate agents and it seems in the last 6 months the demand for houses 400K up has risen fast with people leaving cities to move home. Before they had 500K homes sitting for over a year and most are all gone.

Even the Roscarton development near Tralee will start soon with 1 sold and 4 sale agreed

I called around a few estate agents and it seems in the last 6 months the demand for houses 400K up has risen fast with people leaving cities to move home. Before they had 500K homes sitting for over a year and most are all gone.

Even the Roscarton development near Tralee will start soon with 1 sold and 4 sale agreed

I'm so old I can remember when they weren't advertising Roscartan...

Advertisement