Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS15/WWDC June 7th

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Her iPhone has no notch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,530 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

fvp4 wrote: »
    Text recognition, meh.

Why? It will be very handy.

I don't get the negativity.

Stylistically this is much more boring than last year. The transitions between presenters are totally meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,300 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Weather has been redesigned.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why? It will be very handy.

I don't get the negativity.

Well it’s ancient technology. Ok I suppose being built in is cool. Why not add translation while they are there?

• Advertisement

fvp4 wrote: »
    Well it’s ancient technology. Ok I suppose being built in is cool. Why not add translation while they are there?

It's not ancient technology how it's being integrated into the phone and making text in a photo usable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Looks like weather has gotten most of Dark Sky’s features. Dark Sky has seen little to no updates since Apple acquired it. So probably gonna be discontinued for the normal Weather app soon.

So far, all these updates are for lesser used apps and features aimed at people who use these types of services heavily. Or have friends who rely on the same apps.

Definitely a quieter release this year.

That new Apple maps looks good in fairness.

Mr.S wrote: »
    I've been using Apple Maps more and more these days, it's actually very good now.

Has it got Eircodes yet? The phone tries to make me install it 3 or 4 times a week but until it has those it’s pointless.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Looks like weather has gotten most of Dark Sky’s features. Dark Sky has seen little to no updates since Apple acquired it. So probably gonna be discontinued for the normal Weather app soon.

So far, all these updates are for lesser used apps and features aimed at people who use these types of services heavily. Or have friends who rely on the same apps.

The info will be great but hopefully not the UI of Dark Sky. It’s extremely good but it’s a horrible looking app.

• Advertisement

I've been using Apple Maps more and more these days, it's actually very good now.

I remember when it first came out and it was a disaster. So is iOS 15 an update to make less used apps more appealing ? That’s my impression anyway.

iPadOS.

Yep you can search by Eircode.

I've noticed that new Eircodes (lets say a new-build house) take longer to appear in Apple Maps compared to Google Maps though.

Must give it a go again so. For a long time there it only searched by the first 3 digits of the Eircode so you got some random spot in the general area rather than the door.

Must give it a go again so. For a long time there it only searched by the first 3 digits of the Eircode so you got some random spot in the general area rather than the door.

Yes it does eircodes but it's not perfect.

I don't see why that would make the maps app useless though as a normal address would still work and eircodes are specific to Ireland and unusual in being unique to an address.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes it does eircodes but it's not perfect.

I don't see why that would make the maps app useless though as a normal address would still work and eircodes are specific to Ireland and unusual in being unique to an address.

Normal rural residential addresses don’t work in Ireland regardless of app, you need the Eircode. Just tried it there and it can’t search my Eircode on my phone anyway, just gives a generic point based on the first 3 digits still. If I search my house I get a point about 17km away.

he didn't mention the highly localised weather that dark sky has. But it looks like it does have a few dark sky features.

Those new Privacy features look great. One feature I think almost everyone welcomes. The email tracking pixel blocking is especially handy, as well as the privacy reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

Facebook, Google & other online marketers are going to be flipping their **** at up address hiding

Hopefully the iCloud features include a bump from the base 5GB of storage.

Maps is as good as google maps in Ireland. And their version of street view called Look Around is, where it works, pretty amazing. It is fairly limited as to where it is used though.

• Advertisement

Apple just invented the VPN :D

Hopefully the iCloud features include a bump from the base 5GB of storage.

Nope!

Maps is as good as google maps in Ireland. And their version of street view called Look Around is, where it works, pretty amazing. It is fairly limited as to where it is used though.

It isn’t even close to Google Maps here. If you can’t type in the postal code and have it point to the correct location then it’s pointless for the majority of the country. Maybe there’s a small use case in cities where you’ve street names and house numbers if that’s where you are mostly. Not using a far superior app on your device because “they” make it and then lying to yourself about it is a questionable decision.

In fairness to them, the iCloud stuff is good, especially with no price increases. I’m guessing that means anyone who pays for one of the higher tiers gets all those features for free.

This is a long event, no even watchOS or macOS yet, and rumours on HomeKit and TV updates so still a lot to come.

It isn’t even close to Google Maps here. If you can’t type in the postal code and have it point to the correct location then it’s pointless for the majority of the country. Maybe there’s a small use case in cities where you’ve street names and house numbers if that’s where you are mostly. Not using a far superior app on your device because “they” make it and then lying to yourself about it is a questionable decision.

Just tried that and it worked for me on two locations.

Just tried that and it worked for me on two locations.

I’ve just tried 5 different ones now. 2 rural and 3 ‘D’ eircodes and they all just ignore the last 4 digits of the code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Any word on lossless audio for Apple Music yet?

Can’t watch the stream and on,y getting intermittent updates.

In fairness to them, the iCloud stuff is good, especially with no price increases. I’m guessing that means anyone who pays for one of the higher tiers gets all those features for free.

This is a long event, no even watchOS or macOS yet, and rumours on HomeKit and TV updates so still a lot to come.

No hardware updates I guess. No time. Also the Keynote has little or nothing about software anymore for Devs, besides that mention of coding on the iPad.

You're just going on about the Eircode, which as I have said is unique to Ireland in that the code is linked to one address and it works in most cases.

But most people don't use eircodes and use normal addesses and the app works very well with that and just because you're looking for rural locations it does not mean the majority of people are as the majority of addresses in Ireland have street names and house numbers.

The app itself and its features are very good and I think it's superior to Google Maps in layout and functions and even has a proper Irish accent.
    You are deeming it uselss due to your unique personal needs which is not really fair especially as you said you don't have the app installed so how can you judge it?

• Advertisement

I’ve just tried 5 different ones now. 2 rural and 3 ‘D’ eircodes and they all just ignore the last 4 digits of the code.

Worked for me on all the places I searched.

Advertisement