Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cost to build / Builders quotes 2021

Options
  • 01-06-2021 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

Was looking to see how people are getting on with self builds this year especially with the cost of materials on the rise.

We are currently waiting on prices back from builders for a 2000 sqft bungalow, block construction, underfloor heating, air to water and hoping to finish to an A2 rating. Midlands build.

Anyone who is starting a similar size build or has started already it would be great to hear your experiences and get some idea of what we should be expecting in terms of cost per sqft / builders quotes.

Our budget for the build would be in and around the 300k mark and we are just wondering is building our home feasible?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You say builders quotes in the title then self build in the post. Which is it?

You also mention you hop to get A2 rating, you’ve no choice. A2 is just the minimum requirements nowadays. Every new build in the county will be A2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Midspark88

Gumbo wrote: »
    You say builders quotes in the title then self build in the post. Which is it?

You also mention you hop to get A2 rating, you’ve no choice. A2 is just the minimum requirements nowadays. Every new build in the county will be A2.

Hi Gumbo

Thank you for your reply.
    We are going with a builder not self build apologies for the confusion.

Thank you for clarifying that every new build has to be of an A2 rating. I wasn’t sure if it was mandatory especially if planning was granted a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Midspark88 wrote: »
    Hi Gumbo

Thank you for your reply.
    We are going with a builder not self build apologies for the confusion.

Thank you for clarifying that every new build has to be of an A2 rating. I wasn’t sure if it was mandatory especially if planning was granted a few years ago.

Doubt you'll be getting prices back within that price range with the way costs are at the moment.

Estimate they'll be at least 10% above that when the prices come back. Which is in or around the saving you might be able to make by going self build.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Midspark88

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Doubt you'll be getting prices back within that price range with the way costs are at the moment.

Estimate they'll be at least 10% above that when the prices come back. Which is in or around the saving you might be able to make by going self build.

Yeah the price increase in materials is definitely going to impact the prices. Even when materials come more available id still say prices will remain higher.

I suppose it’ll come down to the builders work load and availability as well as materials. Just hope we can stretch our budget to their prices.

I wouldn’t be confident enough to take on a self build and I would imagine to get all the relevant trades you would have the same issue with availability and material costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Midspark88 wrote: »
    Yeah the price increase in materials is definitely going to impact the prices. Even when materials come more available id still say prices will remain higher.

I suppose it’ll come down to the builders work load and availability as well as materials. Just hope we can stretch our budget to their prices.

I wouldn’t be confident enough to take on a self build and I would imagine to get all the relevant trades you would have the same issue with availability and material costs.

You'll know where you stand when the prices come back anyway.

Be expecting that some won't come back with a price, so price enough of them to allow for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 John2021

Be careful when receiving quotes back especially with clause 36 in contract - which basically states that contractor can pass on material costs increases to client during the works - banks won't lend if clause is in contract as it does not give them a confirmed price for completion and the way market is today price increases are nearly monthly.
    The way it stands now the cost of a build has increased by approx 25% and increasing.
    Xtratherm, Quinn, Wavin not taking orders - Serious shortage of raw materials. Timber, MDF, Fixings, increasing another 12% this month.
    I would recommend bringing a good QS on board and run a couple of cost exercises before speaking to builders.
    I am 30 years in Construction Management and have never seen such price increases and people need to thread carefully. 300K build Cost in December is approx 360K today

I have just finished a self build if I can be of any help for info PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

Just under 1800 sq ft house in south east, quoted €170 sq foot which seems extremely high.
    Edited to add, this is just to builders finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

Just under 1800 sq ft house in south east, quoted €170 sq foot which seems extremely high.
    Edited to add, this is just to builders finish.

going rate with these price increases on materials it seems. family member got similar a few weeks back for 2 storey of 1900 sqft.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

We are currently waiting on prices back from builders for a 1600sqft two storey, block construction, underfloor heating, air to water,MVHR.Midlands .

Just builders finish , nothing about the style that's too complex.

Anyone have a rough estimate ?

Advertisement