Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printer recommendation

Options
  • 01-06-2021 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I print maybe 5-10 pages a month.
    Could you recommend a printer please? Last printers ink got dried up as I didn't use it much.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I was the same, rarely printing and then having to clean or replace carts when I actually wanted to print. Switched to a laser printer nearly 3 years ago and I haven't had any issues since. The original toner hasn't even reached the 50% mark yet.

The model I got (DCP-9015CDW) isn't made any more so I can't give you an exact recommendation. It was manufactured by Brother (I'd recommend them, especially over ink-thirsty Epson!), an all in one colour printer / scanner / copier. If you just need black and white printing then you'd save yourself money (and space) by going for just a mono printer.

Start by having a look at what's available on Amazon, narrow down using the features you want and user reviews (look up professional reviews too). If you don't want to buy from Amazon, you should be able to find similar models in Argos, Currys, Harvey Norman, DID, Power City, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭masterboy123

That's very helpful.

Yes, I am fine with a mono laser printer.

I saw few good HP and Brother printers.

Is it fair to say Brothers printers are cheaper to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I too went with a Brother laser printer, best thing I ever did. Mine is a colour one, but if you only need black and white the mono printers are much cheaper.

If you want to buy from an Irish company I can recommend 123ink.ie. They also sell their own brand toner cartridges which are cheaper and work just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link.

I am looking for a printer which is wireless with mobile phone connectivity. It would be perfect if it has a scanner too!
    Budget €150
    NIMAN wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭brane.nikic87

I went with a cheap HP printer like this:

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/printers-scanners-and-ink/printers/hp-deskjet-2710-all-in-one-wireless-inkjet-printer-10210454-pdt.html

And you can sign up with a Free HP plan where you have a quota of up to 15 pages per month and if you run out of toner they will send you a replacement one for free.

It's been working great so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

That's an inkjet.
    The ink will dry up on it because the OP does very little printing.
    Would be interesting though if he needed to replace the cartridge every month because it was dried out after doing 10 pages!
    There is one more option though OP. If you make sure to print one page every week your ink should stay clean.
    Set up a print job to do that and you might not need to replace your printer at all.

Laser should suit you better all round though.
    This one's a basic laser, wifi and mobile printing.
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/printers-scanners-and-ink/printers/hp-m15w-monochrome-wireless-laser-printer-10179356-pdt.html

Thanks for the link. Actually, I had two inkjet printers in the recent past and both gave up on printing when i needed to print urgently. I suppose I didn't turn on the printer for two months.
    So this time i an looking to get a laser printer. Perhaps, from brother or HP?
    I went with a cheap HP printer like this:

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/printers-scanners-and-ink/printers/hp-deskjet-2710-all-in-one-wireless-inkjet-printer-10210454-pdt.html

And you can sign up with a Free HP plan where you have a quota of up to 15 pages per month and if you run out of toner they will send you a replacement one for free.

It's been working great so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

yup - laser only way to go - only one compromise is printing photos is not as good - colours are more flat - but much better for everything else. Another Bonus not often mentioned is the prints are more waterproof.

Our Brother came with cartridges that stopped working after 500 pages - but there is a code you enter on the printer keypad and it lets you use up all the ink in the printer - and I got 1000 to 1500 more pages on the included ink carts! Think ink is only 30 euros for all 4 colours anyway.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks for the link.

I am looking for a printer which is wireless with mobile phone connectivity. It would be perfect if it has a scanner too!
    Budget €150

Perhaps look secondhand, might pick up one that way?

I bought a 2nd hand colour laser about 6 or 7 years back for £50, still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭brane.nikic87

niallb wrote: »
    That's an inkjet.
    Would be interesting though if he needed to replace the cartridge every month because it was dried out after doing 10 pages!
    There is one more option though OP. If you make sure to print one page every week your ink should stay clean.
    Set up a print job to do that and you might not need to replace your printer at all.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/printers-scanners-and-ink/printers/hp-m15w-monochrome-wireless-laser-printer-10179356-pdt.html

I keep mine always powered and it does something every few days to shake the toners. I have it almost two years now and never had a problem with the dried out colours.

Thank you. This one is good but lacks scanner.
    I am searching more now.

niallb wrote: »
    That's an inkjet.

Wow
    That's awesome.
    Any website that you could recommend to buy used laser printers?
    NIMAN wrote: »
    Perhaps look secondhand, might pick up one that way?

I bought a 2nd hand colour laser about 6 or 7 years back for £50, still going strong.

Wow
    That's awesome.
    Any website that you could recommend to buy used laser printers?

Adverts.ie is the best - there is one there now for free and one for 20 euros....

But make sure it prints ok - with no lines - ink is cheap - but the drum if it has one (another consumable, are expensive in the larger printers if its gone).

I wouldn't be focused on it having a scanner - that seems to be more common in inkjets only. I've found the inkjet scanners are just about ok for documents - but not good enough imo for photos (but I'm fussy about scanning photos) - I've tried several but had to use standalone epson flatbed scanners for photos to get the colours right with no banding.

The document scanning you can do on phones is a good option... google do a good document scanner app.

“Roll it back”

says its working - 20 euros... b/w only - no scanner.

https://www.adverts.ie/laser-printers/hp-laser-jet-1160-printer/23951195

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I kept my old HP inkjet/scanner just for scanning. It works just fine for scanning with no ink cartridges in it.

Advertisement