Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

eltonyio wrote: »
    You said everyone needs PCR. That's incorrect.

You claimed it's discrimination. That's incorrect as I pointed out with other scenarios.

In regards pcr. Adults as I thought was pretty clear but if you want to claim a victory there, it's all yours

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭eltonyio

You claimed it's discrimination. That's incorrect as I pointed out with other scenarios.

In regards pcr. Adults as I thought was pretty clear but if you want to claim a victory there, it's all yours

Oh I thought 'EVERYONE' (caps quoted) meant everyone, not just adults.

Thanks.

eltonyio wrote: »
    Oh I thought 'EVERYONE' (caps quoted) meant everyone, not just adults.

Thanks.

All yours.

Now, travel?.....

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Nope...
    Generally speaking everyone airside travelling and drinking has had a sub 72hrs covid test done

Edit -except to the UK
    I suppose that negates that so

Jeez lighten up, it was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Quick question guys - does someone who is vaccinated and travelling from Italy have to do the 14 day self quarantine & pcr test ? Likely to travel mid august?

I was looking on gov.ie and they do not seem to differentiate between vaccinated people? Or am I missing something?

• Advertisement

Karmella wrote: »
    Quick question guys - does someone who is vaccinated and travelling from Italy have to do the 14 day self quarantine & pcr test ? Likely to travel mid august?

I was looking on gov.ie and they do not seem to differentiate between vaccinated people? Or am I missing something?

No Quarantine after July 19th for fully vaccinated pax intra EU unless there's a firebreak on that country but as it stands no

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

I flew yesterday from Ireland (Dublin) to Italy (Milan Bergamo) at around 10am. I went to the airport by bus (16) and nobody was stopped or questioned before entering the airport.
    There still is a Gardai checkpoint before the security checks. It looked like they were stopping everyone but not checking much and letting people just go. The whole discussion for me was “where are you travelling?” “Italy” “go on then”, no passport, id or boarding pass check.

The airport itself was fairly busy, more than the last time I flew which was back at the end of September last year. The airport pub even had most of the tables full (and my airport Guinness was good, but had to chug it since Ryanair started doing “last call” very early…).
    Plane itself was also quite full, I’d say around 40-50% capacity.

Ryanair asked for the location form on boarding, but that was really the end of the checks. Nobody asked me anything in Italy (as expected tbh…).

Overall I got the feeling that flying is not allowed but pretty much everyone is looking the other way. But I guess an Irish family with little kids and tickets to Lanzarote might have a different experience than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Karmella wrote: »

No, the EU digital covid certificate is in place. No quarantine once you have that.

Ireland are currently pretending not to have it despite it being EU law and having the technology ready, but expect they will be forced to go ahead with its implementation by 19/07.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,756 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

We’ve one of worst incidence rates in Europe. These 21 year olds are far safer abroad than in Scareland.

I reckon I'd be wasting my time pointing out that the rate of new cases in the UK - where she is going to - is running about 4x Ireland over the last week.

I don't get the impression that you'd be big into facts or logic.

There are a fair few posts on here which prove why we unfortunately need enforced restrictions. While it would be nice to be able to leave it to peoples' own discretion to behave responsibly and use common sense, there is a notable dearth of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

So what are the bets on the 2K fine being extended tomorrow?

Incredible if it is extended as all indications are that in Dublin airport it's getting a lot less strict. I've booked to travel [to Spain] on 16th but thinking of moving it to 19th as I want to be able to travel freely as an EU citizen.

Also, I'm getting my second jab on 11th so will be out of the country before my "fully vaccinated" status kicks in. Will I be able to apply for my cert online so that I don't have to go through the rigmarole of PCR and quarantine coming back? That is is they haven't locked us all down again by that stage and pulled all the emergency brakes.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Yeah guilty as charged, my daughter caused it.

She's definitely doing her bit to contribute to it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I reckon I'd be wasting my time pointing out that the rate of new cases in the UK - where she is going to - is running about 4x Ireland over the last week.
    However, we'll need to start moving away from purely using case numbers as an indicator in the next few weeks. Although cases are high and rising rapidly in the UK, deaths from the virus remain low and have done for the last several weeks. Moreover, deaths per capita with the virus in the UK are lower than most EU countries.

Posted on the ‘close the airports’ thread my experience of coming into Dublin port on Thursday (eg no checking to see if I’d done a locator form).

My experience going back out yesterday was that the Gardai no longer care about the €2k fine and reasons for travel. There was on guard looking as bored as I have ever seen a human look, walking up and down the lines of cars asking the standard questions. There were a few Irish cars towing caravans, families clearly laden up to go on their holidays....and nothing more than a cursory few seconds chat from the solitary guard.

Would be ridiculous to extend the €2k fine when clearly is not paid any attention to any more. Would be interesting to know how many have been fined over the last couple weeks

However, we'll need to start moving away from purely using case numbers as an indicator in the next few weeks. Although cases are high and rising rapidly in the UK, deaths from the virus remain low and have done for the last several weeks. Moreover, deaths per capita with the virus in the UK are lower than most EU countries.

None of that is relevant to the point I was addressing which was the relative risk from an unvaccinated 21 year old travelling to the UK with her buddies for a jaunt vs. the risk from them staying in Ireland.

Even if the infection rates were the same, the risk would still be relatively higher due to the logistics of travel and the changes in behaviour (i.e. eating out for all your meals, going to visit tourist sites with high footfall etc.). But the rates are not even nearly the same. They are more than 4x

A random person in the UK is more than 4 times likely to be carrying the virus than a random person in Ireland. (And that is even ignoring the fact that there are likely to be more asymptomatic carriers there who are asymptomatic due to being vaccinated. So that 4x is based off those who have been tested as positive.)

There is no point talking about what might happen in the future when we catch up in terms of vaccination rate. That's in the future. The 21 year old will be long back from her trip before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Posted on the ‘close the airports’ thread my experience of coming into Dublin port on Thursday (eg no checking to see if I’d done a locator form).

My experience going back out yesterday was that the Gardai no longer care about the €2k fine and reasons for travel. There was on guard looking as bored as I have ever seen a human look, walking up and down the lines of cars asking the standard questions. There were a few Irish cars towing caravans, families clearly laden up to go on their holidays....and nothing more than a cursory few seconds chat from the solitary guard.

Would be ridiculous to extend the €2k fine when clearly is not paid any attention to any more. Would be interesting to know how many have been fined over the last couple weeks

They stopped handing out fines weeks ago, nobody give a sh1t about the rules anymore Gardai included. It's embarrassing for them to be put in the situation anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

None of that is relevant to the point I was addressing which was the relative risk from an unvaccinated 21 year old travelling to the UK with her buddies for a jaunt vs. the risk from them staying in Ireland.

Even if the infection rates were the same, the risk would still be relatively higher due to the logistics of travel and the changes in behaviour (i.e. eating out for all your meals, going to visit tourist sites with high footfall etc.). But the rates are not even nearly the same. They are more than 4x

A random person in the UK is more than 4 times likely to be carrying the virus than a random person in Ireland. (And that is even ignoring the fact that there are likely to be more asymptomatic carriers there who are asymptomatic due to being vaccinated. So that 4x is based off those who have been tested as positive.)

There is no point talking about what might happen in the future when we catch up in terms of vaccination rate. That's in the future. The 21 year old will be long back from her trip before then.

Yip. And I hope the hypothetical 21 year old had a great time on her holiday. If she got the virus I’m sure she couldn’t care less. Upon her return to Ireland the vulnerable are all vaccinated or should be taking precautions.

Life goes on. (Or should if we were not being led down the garden path by nphet)

dalyboy wrote: »
    Yip. And I hope the hypothetical 21 year old had a great time on her holiday. If she got the virus I’m sure she couldn’t care less. Upon her return to Ireland the vulnerable are all vaccinated or should be taking precautions.

Life goes on. (Or should if we were not being led down the garden path by nphet)

It's not a hypothetical 21 year old. Unless the original poster was lying, which I don't see why they would have been.

Over 60's who received AZ are only being called for second vaccinations now.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Over 60's who received AZ are only being called for second vaccinations now.
    Unless those over 60s happen to be serving behind a bar, waiting tables indoors, or (possibly) working in a meat plant, they're surely not at any unavoidable risk from infected 21 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

acequion wrote: »

Incredible if it is extended as all indications are that in Dublin airport it's getting a lot less strict. I've booked to travel [to Spain] on 16th but thinking of moving it to 19th as I want to be able to travel freely as an EU citizen.

Also, I'm getting my second jab on 11th so will be out of the country before my "fully vaccinated" status kicks in. Will I be able to apply for my cert online so that I don't have to go through the rigmarole of PCR and quarantine coming back? That is is they haven't locked us all down again by that stage and pulled all the emergency brakes.:rolleyes:

I like your optimism re July 19th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Would you visit London in the month of August given the fact that it seems the UK are declaring the pandemic over this week with basically all restrictions lifted on July 19th?

Lumen wrote: »
    Unless those over 60s happen to be serving behind a bar, waiting tables indoors, or (possibly) working in a meat plant, they're surely not at any unavoidable risk from infected 21 year olds.

Well actually, and you may not believe this, but I heard a rumour that there were some 60 year olds who caught covid who weren't working serving behind a bar, waiting tables indoors or (possibly) working in a meat plant.

Could be one of those urban legend things though

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

acequion wrote: »

https://twitter.com/patphelan/status/1411347787984392197?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

this guy on twitter saying you can apply for the cert on

https://spth.gob.es

Well actually, and you may not believe this, but I heard a rumour that there were some 60 year olds who caught covid who weren't working serving behind a bar, waiting tables indoors or (possibly) working in a meat plant.
    Of course there were, and most likely they were avoidable infections.

Of course there were, and most likely they were avoidable infections.

What case of infection of a contagious disease would not have been in theory avoidable?

What case of infection of a contagious disease would not have been in theory avoidable?

In the context of this pandemic, an unavoidable infection is where you take sensible precautions (wearing FFP3 mask indoors, avoiding social contact) but get infected anyway, doing something that is necessary i.e. going to school, working, buying food or other essential goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

fm wrote: »

I think that’s only for entry to Spain. I don’t think you can generate a cert here and enter another country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

He’s talking about Spain’s entry requirements. As we’ve already mentioned on this thread, you don’t need your DGC to enter Spain or travel the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Thanks but it's not getting to Spain I'm worried about as I won't be fully vaccinated then. I'll be travelling at most 10 days after my second shot and fully vaccinated is 15 days. I'll just get an antigen test, inconvenient but worth it to get away sooner. It's coming back that concerns me. I want to have my cert coming back to avoid PCR and quarantine. And I'd feel safer applying through an Irish portal. Would anybody know? Thanks.

• Advertisement

In the context of this pandemic, an unavoidable infection is where you take sensible precautions (wearing FFP3 mask indoors, avoiding social contact) but get infected anyway, doing something that is necessary i.e. going to school, working, buying food or other essential goods.

I have a relative in their 60's who caught it at work at a time when only essential workplaces were open. They weren't serving behind a bar, waiting on tables or (possibly) working in a meat plant so their infection would appear to come under the category of "avoidable" according to your earlier post but come under "unavoidable" according to your later post.

This is confusing. It's almost like the goalposts keep getting moved.

Advertisement