Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Feria40 wrote: »
    I like your optimism re July 19th

How do you mean? They won't be stopping people travelling as they haven't been able to do that all along. And they surely cannot keep that fine going beyond 18th at the very latest! Loads of people have booked to travel after the 19th so there really would be chaos if the Gardai were still demanding essential travel reasons then. Possible we may not yet be signed up to the DGC but still fining people?? I doubt that very much as they've slackened on that already.

Paul Reid there on rte now saying the HSE is ready for the covid cert for both vaccination info and proof of covid recovery
    Rocdoc also said the system is ready for them also on RTE

So there's the facts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Would you visit London in the month of August given the fact that it seems the UK are declaring the pandemic over this week with basically all restrictions lifted on July 19th?

I absolutely would. I’d go anywhere that I don’t have 24/7 dystopian news / conditions / restrictions etc etc.

Ooh the thoughts of not hearing the voices of those government numpties and the droll of negative medical fundamentalism.

A holiday ANYWHERE can’t come sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have a relative in their 60's who caught it at work at a time when only essential workplaces were open. They weren't serving behind a bar, waiting on tables or (possibly) working in a meat plant so their infection would appear to come under the category of "avoidable" according to your earlier post but come under "unavoidable" according to your later post.

This is confusing. It's almost like the goalposts keep getting moved.

I'm sorry that you've confused yourself by being unable to read.

I wrote "most likely". There is no moving of goalposts.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Flew to Gran Canaria on EI yesterday afternoon. Very smooth, no check points, no hassle. 30 people on the flight, pure bliss here.

Trying to look at things without rose tinted holiday glasses but honestly the vibe here compared to the abundance of caution one at home is huge.

The baggage carousels from other European destinations where packed while the Dublin one had about 20 people waiting for luggage.

It really is time for people to start talking their freedoms back while assessing their own risk.
    There are 746.4 million people in Europe- only 5 million are under country arrest with a threat of a €2000 fine hanging over their head!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,757 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Lumen wrote: »
    I'm sorry that you've confused yourself by being unable to read.

I wrote "most likely". There is no moving of goalposts.

I can read just fine. I'll explain it slowly this time as you still can't see your contradictions

Let's do a recap
    Unless those over 60s happen to be serving behind a bar, waiting tables indoors, or (possibly) working in a meat plant, they're surely not at any unavoidable risk from infected 21 year olds.

So a 60 year old not working in one of those 3 industries is "surely not at any avoidable risk".

So if you are 60, working in a different job - and I have heard a rumour that not all over 60's actually work serving behind bars, waiting tables indoors or (possibly) in a meat plant - then your infection was avoidable.

But then we also have the definition of an unavoidable infection
    In the context of this pandemic, an unavoidable infection is where you take sensible precautions (wearing FFP3 mask indoors, avoiding social contact) but get infected anyway, doing something that is necessary i.e. going to school, working, buying food or other essential goods.

But here we see that an over 60 who followed precautions and still caught covid while working in a job that was not behind a bar, waiting tables indoors or (possibly) working in a meat plant was unavoidable.

The Schrodinger's cat of covid logic.

fm wrote: »

Thats the Spanish health control form
    Its not news
    Its linked to in any booking to Spain as it has to be completed
    It asks you to upload your other country EU DCC
    So there's a problem straight away
    I think the man tweeting doesn't understand that

However, there is this line in it
    If you do not have a EU Digital COVID Certificate, do not worry, in section 4. Health Questionnaire, of the form, you can enter the details of the supporting document (vaccination/test/COVID-19 recovery) that you have, and if everything is correct you will obtain a QR that will be identified as DOCUMENTARY CONTROL.

That would suggest you could upload your HSE vaccine card
    I'm not sure I'd want to risk that

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Congrulations Mr Trump, your literal interpretation of "surely" has won the day.

I concede that there remain other types of workplace where infections can be acquired by the over 60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

fm wrote: »

There is no point applying unless you are travelling in the next few days. There is a section that states what type of proof you have of vaccination A. Green cert or B. Other.

In the event of a green cert by the 19th you may have filled out the form incorrectly. I'll be waiting until the day before in the unlikely event of the Irish laggards getting the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 adubintipp2

A random person in the UK is more than 4 times likely to be carrying the virus than a random person in Ireland. (And that is even ignoring the fact that there are likely to be more asymptomatic carriers there who are asymptomatic due to being vaccinated. So that 4x is based off those who have been tested as positive.)

To be pedantic, this is not true. The UK are testing 16 people per 1000 of the population, while we are testing closer to 4 per 1000. Thus, they are catching far more cases than we are, and a random person is much less than 4 times likely to be infected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Thats the Spanish health control form
    Its not news
    Its linked to in any booking to Spain as it has to be completed
    It asks you to upload your other country EU DCC
    So there's a problem straight away
    I think the man tweeting doesn't understand that

However, there is this line in it

That would suggest you could upload your HSE vaccine card
    I'm not sure I'd want to risk that

What "risk" are you talking about. Thousands of people have being doing it for the last few weeks. They will ask you for your QR code, passport and in some cases your vaccination card on arrival. That's it. Zero risk.

To be pedantic, this is not true. The UK are testing 16 people per 1000 of the population, while we are testing closer to 4 per 1000. Thus, they are catching far more cases than we are, and a random person is much less than 4 times likely to be infected.

Why do you think they are testing more people?

And what criteria are they using in deciding to test them? Are they randomly selecting people from the street and dragging them in to test them?

(You can consider the above as somewhat rhetorical questions)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Would you visit London in the month of August given the fact that it seems the UK are declaring the pandemic over this week with basically all restrictions lifted on July 19th?

I’m booked for next week, €5 each way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Why do you think they are testing more people?

And what criteria are they using in deciding to test them? Are they randomly selecting people from the street and dragging them in to test them?

(You can consider the above as somewhat rhetorical questions)

Perhaps a good starting point would be here (UK of course,but I suggest we have a few "most favoured" operators)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/list-of-private-providers-of-coronavirus-testing/list-of-private-providers-of-coronavirus-testing#general-testing

Followed by.......

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/998857/covid-private-testing-providers-general-testing-020721.csv/preview

The Republic appears to have Four "approved" companies,all of whom,as befits the greatest " Public Health Emergency" ever,do charge an appropriate scale of fees. (a situation which the bould Dr Mary Favier of NPHET was somewhat protective of recently)

Never mind Covid 19.......Follow the Money ! :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Flew to Gran Canaria on EI yesterday afternoon. Very smooth, no check points, no hassle. 30 people on the flight, pure bliss here.

Trying to look at things without rose tinted holiday glasses but honestly the vibe here compared to the abundance of caution one at home is huge.

The baggage carousels from other European destinations where packed while the Dublin one had about 20 people waiting for luggage.

It really is time for people to start talking their freedoms back while assessing their own risk

There are 746.4 million people in Europe- only 5 million are under country arrest with a threat of a €2000 fine hanging over their head!

You are going to be in SO much trouble when you get home :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Perhaps a good starting point would be here (UK of course,but I suggest we have a few "most favoured" operators)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/list-of-private-providers-of-coronavirus-testing/list-of-private-providers-of-coronavirus-testing#general-testing

Followed by.......

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/998857/covid-private-testing-providers-general-testing-020721.csv/preview

The Republic appears to have Four "approved" companies,all of whom,as befits the greatest " Public Health Emergency" ever,do charge an appropriate scale of fees. (a situation which the bould Dr Mary Favier of NPHET was somewhat protective of recently)

Never mind Covid 19.......Follow the Money ! :(

So some kind of conspiracy theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1411655532721676289?s=19

"Also says - contrary to some government sources - that the HSE won’t itself be providing COVID certs… https://t.co/EIQZPQkwZ1"

2 weeks to go and it looks like nobody is preparing to issue them.

Multipass wrote: »
    I’m booked for next week, €5 each way :D

How confident are you that the PCR and quarantine will be dropped by then? PCR is pricey in the UK.

acequion wrote: »
    Thanks but it's not getting to Spain I'm worried about as I won't be fully vaccinated then. I'll be travelling at most 10 days after my second shot and fully vaccinated is 15 days. I'll just get an antigen test, inconvenient but worth it to get away sooner. It's coming back that concerns me. I want to have my cert coming back to avoid PCR and quarantine. And I'd feel safer applying through an Irish portal. Would anybody know? Thanks.

We were discussing this yesterday and it appears to be very much up in the air at present unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

acequion wrote: »
    How do you mean? They won't be stopping people travelling as they haven't been able to do that all along. And they surely cannot keep that fine going beyond 18th at the very latest! Loads of people have booked to travel after the 19th so there really would be chaos if the Gardai were still demanding essential travel reasons then. Possible we may not yet be signed up to the DGC but still fining people?? I doubt that very much as they've slackened on that already.

I meant re the DCC, I have zero faith that everyone entitled to a DCC on July 19 will have access to one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭adam240610

Will proof of a negative antigen test be enough to travel to Portugal on the 19th, looking at booking a test a few hours before my flight don't see them giving out the cert fast enough

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

adam240610 wrote: »
    Will proof of a negative antigen test be enough to travel to Portugal on the 19th, looking at booking a test a few hours before my flight don't see them giving out the cert fast enough

Yes it will

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

LeeroyJ. wrote: »

"Also says - contrary to some government sources - that the HSE won’t itself be providing COVID certshttps://t.co/EIQZPQkwZ1"

Based on what I heard during the week this is correct. It's going to be some sort of app/website linked to PPS numbers.

LeeroyJ. wrote: »

"Also says - contrary to some government sources - that the HSE won’t itself be providing COVID certs… https://t.co/EIQZPQkwZ1"

I never assumed it would be the HSE as theres other agencies involved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Belfast is doing a roaring trade from the south, trains booked out every weekend and the UK will remove all restrictions on the 19th with the approach of ' cases will rise, be responsible'.. No masks inside no table service, as cases continue to rise.

Makes our travel restrictions utterly redundant. No doubt nyphet will suggest we restrict further. Tuesday will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Tazz T wrote: »
    Belfast is doing a roaring trade from the south, trains booked out every weekend and the UK will remove all restrictions on the 19th with the approach of ' cases will rise, be responsible'.. No masks inside no table service, as cases continue to rise.

Makes our travel restrictions utterly redundant. No doubt nyphet will suggest we restrict further. Tuesday will be interesting.

Our travel restrictions were always utterly redundant. Permanent outliers. It helped us a lot suppressing virus! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Meanwhile expect loads of propaganda from the usual suspects this week about the lamba variant. Still half an alphabet to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

adam240610 wrote: »
    Give yourself plenty of time to allow for queues at the testing centres if it is a busy day. According to this, the antigen test can be done up to 48 hours prior to arrival in Portugal.

https://www.visitportugal.com/nl/content/covid-19-measures-implemented-portugal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Does anyone think Ireland will raise the age of children requiring tests on re entry to 12 once the EU Digital Cert comes into being?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Does anyone think Ireland will raise the age of children requiring tests on re entry to 12 once the EU Digital Cert comes into being?

I am afraid Ireland will reduce it to 1 based on NPHET's recommendations. PCR tests are bullet proof. Vaccination passports are snake oil.

Advertisement