Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

gral6 wrote: »
    I am afraid Ireland will reduce it to 1 based on NPHET's recommendations. PCR tests are bullet proof. Vaccination passports are snake oil.

Will just have to wait and see. It's just mad to me that myself and my husband can take our kids to any country in the EU no hassle once we are vaccinated but my child will need a PCR to reenter. But needs must and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Will just have to wait and see. It's just mad to me that myself and my husband can take our kids to any country in the EU no hassle once we are vaccinated but my child will need a PCR to reenter. But needs must and all that.

We are in the same boat, child is 7 years old but we are getting out of that depressing place anyway for few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

Does anyone think Ireland will raise the age of children requiring tests on re entry to 12 once the EU Digital Cert comes into being?

I really hope they do but not a chance I'd say

Does anyone think Ireland will raise the age of children requiring tests on re entry to 12 once the EU Digital Cert comes into being?

Is that something thats not already within the agreement?

We are in the same boat, child is 7 years old but we are getting out of that depressing place anyway for few weeks.

Oh totally. We are going also. Not going until the middle of August so will see what changes are in place by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Hi,
    Sorry for the intrusion. Just wondering what the up to date experience is with UK travel at the moment, it's not essential, just wanna see a few friends. I'm fully vaccinated, as they are.

Thanks

Is that something thats not already within the agreement?

I've no idea. But upon looking at requirements on Ryanairs site there are a range of ages in different counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

The advice from nphet is no unvaccinated should travel on the 19th. The gov will meet to decide this on Tuesday.

Surely they have to go against nphet on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Tazz T wrote: »
    The advice from nphet is no unvaccinated should travel on the 19th. The gov will meet to decide this on Tuesday.

Surely they have to go against nphet on this one.

There is no choice to make with regards to going with or against NPHET. They can advise that unvaccinated people don't travel but there's nothing to stop it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Belfast is doing a roaring trade from the south, trains booked out every weekend and the UK will remove all restrictions on the 19th.

Pretty sure it's just England restoring freedom, Scotland, Wales and N.I don't have to go with it..
    N.I parliament will meet next week to discuss the next stages, but with a new DUP leader they may want to copy Westminister... S.F can hardly go against them...

Meanwhile Hospitality businesses continue to suffer while Belfast thrives..

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's just England restoring freedom, Scotland, Wales and N.I don't have to go with it..
    N.I parliament will meet next week to discuss the next stages, but with a new DUP leader they may want to copy Westminister... S.F can hardly go against them...

Meanwhile Hospitality businesses continue to suffer while Belfast thrives..

I remember debating this someone when they first opened. It will be a matter of days, two weeks tops.

There is no choice to make with regards to going with or against NPHET. They can advise that unvaccinated people don't travel but there's nothing to stop it

They've done everything nphet has said so far. The could easily delay it to August with some stupid excuse of 'we're not ready blah blah HSE hack'. I expect something in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

So from 19th of July I can travel to Spain( I'm fully vaccinated) wife has only received 1 dose, would she need a test at Dublin airport, and in Spain on return?
    Thanks

They've done everything nphet has said so far. The could easily delay it to August with some stupid excuse of 'we're not ready blah blah HSE hack'. I expect something in the middle.

Right well you first posted about them going with NPHET in terms of vaccinated only, what NPHET advise regarding who can and can't travel doesn't matter. Digital cert is open to all, so as per my reply there's no decision to be made there.

The only thing government can do is delay until 2nd week of August at most and even that's unlikely.

Fully expect anyone who wants to travel being able to from the 19th.

So from 19th of July I can travel to Spain( I'm fully vaccinated) wife has only received 1 dose, would she need a test at Dublin airport, and in Spain on return?
    Thanks

She'd need whatever test the Spanish want, they could accept antigen maybe ? I don't know so worth checking that out & save a few quid.

For coming back she would need a PCR

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

She'd need whatever test the Spanish want, they could accept antigen maybe ? I don't know so worth checking that out & save a few quid.

For coming back she would need a PCR

Antigen will do your wife on the way out to Portugal, PCR on return.

Don't be so sure though that you will have received a scannable proof of vacination from the Irish Gov by July 19th..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,757 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Feria40 wrote: »
    Antigen will do your wife on the way out to Portugal

I didn't even know that Auntie Jen was into the ladies

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

I didn't even know that Auntie Jen was into the ladies

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Feria40 wrote: »
    Antigen will do your wife on the way out to Portugal, PCR on return.

Don't be so sure though that you will have received a scannable proof of vacination from the Irish Gov by July 19th..

If its not a scannable proof at that point its possible there will be secondary acceptance by the Spain border police.

I have my HSE card with the dates stamped on it. I also have a screenshot print out of the texts received by the HSE matching the dates of the card.

I really hope thats all that is required because I doubt our government will on the ball with issued QR codes by my departure date (28th of July).

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

I am afraid Ireland will reduce it to 1 based on NPHET's recommendations. PCR tests are bullet proof. Vaccination passports are snake oil.

I shouldn't laugh but this made me laugh. Because this is exactly whats gonna happen.

Rumblings in the media today that "nphet say travel a greater threat than indoor dining".

They've lost the battle with boozers, moving their sights onto their next targets- people daring to want a holiday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    I shouldn't laugh but this made me laugh. Because this is exactly whats gonna happen.

Rumblings in the media today that "nphet say travel a greater threat than indoor dining".

They've lost the battle with boozers, moving their sights onto their next targets- people daring to want a holiday

I think overturning an EU wide joint initiative like this might just be out of reach out of even NPHET...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭RoryMac

spockety wrote: »
    I think overturning an EU wide joint initiative like this might just be out of reach out of even NPHET...

They don't have to overturn it, they'll try push it out to mid August and will be pressuring the Gov to exploit all available options to limit travel.

The Germans have/had restrictions on travellers from Portugal so they may be able to use that on a larger scale.

The problem we have is that we're too small in numbers for the rest of the EU to give a sh1t if we have restrictions apply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

dalyboy wrote: »
    If its not a scannable proof at that point its possible there will be secondary acceptance by the Spain border police.

I have my HSE card with the dates stamped on it. I also have a screenshot print out of the texts received by the HSE matching the dates of the card.

I really hope thats all that is required because I doubt our government will on the ball with issued QR codes by my departure date (28th of July).

I wonder if I could do just that for the return lap, to get back into Ireland without a PCR, that's assuming we've bought into the EU cert by then [mid August]?
    RoryMac wrote: »
    They don't have to overturn it, they'll try push it out to mid August and will be pressuring the Gov to exploit all available options to limit travel.

The Germans have/had restrictions on travellers from Portugal so they may be able to use that on a larger scale.

The problem we have is that we're too small in numbers for the rest of the EU to give a sh1t if we have restrictions apply

But what difference will the above make? People will still be able to get out and proof of full vaccination might be accepted in other countries without the scannable code. Coming back could be a problem though if we're still not in. People would then have the added expense of PCRs plus quarantine on return, when they had booked assuming these restrictions would be gone. Perish the thought but could happen.:mad:

RoryMac wrote: »

Yeah. And then after mid August travel will be "allowed" as the 2k fine will be removed. HOWEVER. Then we will have the non-stop 24/7 media drivel about the dangers posed by evil holiday goers as the schools will be returning a couple of weeks later.

dalyboy wrote: »
    Yeah. And then after mid August travel will be "allowed" as the 2k fine will be removed. HOWEVER. Then we will have the non-stop 24/7 media drivel about the dangers posed by evil holiday goers as the schools will be returning a couple of weeks later.

Yeah I'm expecting the anti-travel stories to be ramped up in the media this week with the high case numbers in some countries being front and centre.

Will the Gov go against NPHET's advise if they recommend we keep restrictions on travel? After last week I don't see it

acequion wrote: »

But what difference will the above make? People will still be able to get out and proof of full vaccination might be accepted in other countries without the scannable code. Coming back could be a problem though if we're still not in. People would then have the added expense of PCRs plus quarantine on return, when they had booked assuming these restrictions would be gone. Perish the thought but could happen.:mad:

I would imagine quarantine would put an end to a lot of planned trips in August, certainly would for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

What kind of meeting is happening on Tuesday? I thought we were given the green light for July 19th for the resumption of non essential travel and the start of our participation in the EU travel cert. So what the hell have they to talk about? Is a uturn like they did on hospitality really on the cards?? Jesus that's unthinkable :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

spockety wrote: »

Bishop Casey got an airport in knock. Saint Tony will get the other 26 CMOs in the EU to also abandon science and stop travel and antigen testing.

acequion wrote: »
    What kind of meeting is happening on Tuesday? I thought we were given the green light for July 19th for the resumption of non essential travel and the start of our participation in the EU travel cert. So what the hell have they to talk about? Is a uturn like they did on hospitality really on the cards?? Jesus that's unthinkable :mad:

Nothing and I mean nothing will shock me at this point. The fact that people have already booked and paid for travel post the 19th july will mean nothing to this government.

Rest assured though the decisions at this meeting will be made purely based on accurate modelling that they will dress up as science. (pigs ear science)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

After the hames they made of this week's announcements I have no doubt the 19th is set in stone. There will be plenty of 'news'paper click bait in the meantime but that's all it is. They've given the date, they've said they're set up to go so there's not much backing out they can do.

Anyway, I was on the bike on the N11 earlier watching car after car and campervan after campervan driving Wexford bound loaded to the gills, most with IRL stickers on the back. On my way back up the same in the opposite direction. It was like old times. Jealous doesn't even begin to describe it (roll on August 22nd for me!)

People know now that the rest of the continent is moving again so nobody gives a sh*t for any regulations at this stage anyway. People have 2020 credit notes that need to be used before expiry and hard cash is what matters to people.

Bonne Chance to them!

Advertisement