Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

acceptance of the cert as a genuine proof of a test or vaccination isnt the same as a member state being compelled to waive all entry restrictions already in place by domestic law and open the door to anyone with any type of digital cert.

As an example that might be more understandable, the digital cert can hold an antigen test result.
    Can you land to Dublin airport with an antigen test result and demand entry to ireland quarantine free ? And if so, does it need to be 24 or 48 or 72 hours old?

I dont see where thats in the EU legislation, but thats because that side of it is down to the member state, and in the case of Ireland they require a PCR test, and nothing else, still .

Where is the exact EU legislation?
    The Explanatory Web pages use the words 'should'and 'recommended' a lot which wouldn't stop the North Korean Irish government from being stubborn
    Let's see what happens anyway and will we have sight of our DCC's after midnight on the 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Where is the exact EU legislation?
    The Explanatory Web pages use the words 'should'and 'recommended' a lot which wouldn't stop the North Korean Irish government from being stubborn
    Let's see what happens anyway and will we have sight of our DCC's after midnight on the 18th

Won't be the "Government" that will drag out the DCC, it will be Holohan and NPHET, they're the decision makers in Ireland, if they want a scheme of Covid Green passes rolled out then MMartin better find a way to make it happen or nothing will open....

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Confirmed on the radio there that EU citizens have been landing at air and sea ports since last Thursday and been allowed in with only the green covid cert and have not required PCR or Antigen tests. The only exception to the rule is Irish citizens who haven't been issued the cert yet. Vaccination cards have been refused apparently. So there you have it folks, the farcical situation where it's harder for an Irish citizen to enter their own country than one from let's say Greece or Spain.

If only the government had had some warning this would happen and got the cert launched on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Confirmed on the radio there that EU citizens have been landing at air and sea ports since last Thursday and been allowed in with only the green covid cert and have not required PCR or Antigen tests. The only exception to the rule is Irish citizens who haven't been issued the cert yet. So there you have it folks, the farcical situation where it's harder for an Irish citizen to enter their own country than one from let's say Greece or Spain.

If only the government had had some warning this would happen and got the cert launched on time.

So my mother who is double jabbed is in Portugal with me and returning home next week. If she had gotten the jabs in Portugal she wouldn’t need a PCR but because she is Irish and got them in Ireland she needs a PCR? Couldn’t make it up.

Confirmed on the radio there that EU citizens have been landing at air and sea ports since last Thursday and been allowed in with only the green covid cert and have not required PCR or Antigen tests. The only exception to the rule is Irish citizens who haven't been issued the cert yet. Vaccination cards have been refused apparently. So there you have it folks, the farcical situation where it's harder for an Irish citizen to enter their own country than one from let's say Greece or Spain.

Yup
    Now there's discrimination
    Probably unconstitutional

• Advertisement

Valhallapt wrote: »
    So my mother who is double jabbed is in Portugal with me and returning home next week. If she had gotten the jabs in Portugal she wouldn’t need a PCR but because she is Irish and got them in Ireland she needs a PCR? Couldn’t make it up.

Yeap, that's it right there unfortunately. Discrimination right in front of our eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,756 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yeap, that's it right there unfortunately. Discrimination right in front of our eyes.

So his mother is being discriminated against because of her jabs?

Happens to a lot of ladies, or so I've heard.

If your Mum feels as strongly about this as you do,I think she should rock up to check in with her vaccination card

So his mother is being discriminated against because of her jabs?

Happens to a lot of ladies, or so I've heard.

No she is being discriminated against because she is Irish. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,756 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No she's not. If she had gotten the vaccines in Portugal, she would have been let in same as a Portuguese person would. She just doesn't have the digital cert. She happens to be Irish.

No need to get hysterical

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Are you, by any chance, being sarcastic with the above? Because is that not their job to anticipate such issues? Are they not paid enough to be able to do some forward planning? And don't give me excuses like cyber attacks etc etc because there's obstacles to every endeavour and where there's a will there's a way. But unfortunately all the evidence suggests that there isn't a will. The Govt has used every means possible to prevent Irish citizens from travelling and this discriminatory situation is just more of it. So we wait now with bated breath to see when exactly they issue certs to Irish citizens. Let's not be surprised if there's some big delay and in the meantime vaccinated Irish people still have to go through the expense of PCRs. Which means less Irish people travelling and more misery for Irish aviation. As another poster said, nothing would shock us anymore. :mad:

No she's not. If she had gotten the vaccines in Portugal, she would have been let in same as a Portuguese person would. She just doesn't have the digital cert. She happens to be Irish.

I don't think a 70 quid tax on only Irish fully vaccinated citizens is acceptable do you?
    Its not even a tax,it goes to a foreign company
    Better description would be a 70 euros penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Responder XY

How are we going to get the DCC on the 19th? will there be a new app or will the existing covid app have it?

How does it link an individual to a vaccine, negitive test (within last 72 hours) or positive test (within the last 9 months) - first two of these imagine isn't hard, but how do you prove the third?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

How are we going to get the DCC on the 19th? will there be a new app or will the existing covid app have it?

How does it link an individual to a vaccine, negitive test (within last 72 hours) or positive test (within the last 9 months) - first two of these imagine isn't hard, but how do you prove the third?

No one knows yet...only speculation as yet..... I'm sure we'll be told in plenty of time, it's not like it's launching here in 2 weeks;)

(note: plenty of sarcasm, we're all dying to find out!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Quechyquat

Domestic legislation now appears to be in place giving authority to HSE and suitably qualified testing companies to issue DCCs. Also penalties for forgery. Signed by Stephen Donnelly on 30th June and published on 2nd July.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2021/si/318/made/en/pdf

Just need to get the finger out now....

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

acceptance of the cert as a genuine proof of a test or vaccination isnt the same as a member state being compelled to waive all entry restrictions already in place by domestic law and open the door to anyone with any type of digital cert.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Quechyquat wrote: »
    Domestic legislation now appears to be in place giving authority to HSE and suitably qualified testing companies to issue DCCs. Also penalties for forgery. Signed by Stephen Donnelly on 30th June and published on 2nd July.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2021/si/318/made/en/pdf

Just need to get the finger out now....

Also mentions "rapid antigen tests" aswell - surely we`re not using "snake oil" for international travel??

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Also mentions "rapid antigen tests" aswell - surely we`re not using "snake oil" for international travel??

Dont be junxing. From the 19th we will but thankfully most here will be vaccinated

Very unlikely he made it up

Michael O'Leary has not been in Dublin airport for a long time. He has not witnessed any activities at immigration

Look, when it comes to state agencies, you can say pretty much whatever you want because only the Minister can call you a liar. No state agency will come out against a statement or release the real facts.

Look at the Dubai 2. No official mentioned your ones positive test and it wasnt used in her defence before the courts but mammy was free to make up false claims about a false negative and the papers ran it. Not a single legitimate source responded because of data protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Mr.S wrote: »
    It’s pretty stupid that a fully vaccinated Irish citizen, which will be recorded in HSE records, has to resort to paying for a PCR test out of pocket to re-enter Ireland just because our DCC isn’t ready to rollout.

Where as literally any other vaccinated EU / EEA citizen can rock up with their DCC and be let in without a PCR test.

Whatever about delays, I’m sure the HSE hack hasn’t helped, but then they should still allow vaccination cards to be used (they don’t) as an interim. Cross match it with a vaccine appointment or something.

Let’s be honest, the HSE / Gov are stalling on the DCC purely because they don’t want people travelling at the moment, despite our EU friends being able to roam free.

We’ll get there, I’m sure, but it’s a bit of a joke at the moment.

It's down to years of underinvestment in public services.
    We are paying for it now.

• Advertisement

I think Ireland just started scanning them after O’Leary went on both Newstalk & Rte raising the issue. For the first two days - people were not able to have their QR codes read here on arrival & were being threatened with MHQ.
    Does anyone know if the travel fine is gone?

Possible so because Ireland has NOT entered into the DCC yet and therefore under zero obligation to recognise or read them.

In regards the fine, nothing online at present and no checkpoint in the airport AT PRESENT. My understanding was that the fine doesn't actually expire until 23.59 tonight so he may well have signed or will sign another 2 weeks today
    Yup
    Now there's discrimination
    Probably unconstitutional

What section of the consititution do you think?

Again, no. They are not obliged to treat you the same as them where its not actually possible. Its no different to people landing in Ireland since 1978 (88?) with nothing more than their national ID cards but the Irish required their passports. THat only changed in 2013 I think with the passport card introduction. Ireland could do that because we didn't issue ID cards. In fact, the whole of the EU was treating the Irish seperately to other EU citizens.

As Ireland isnt issuing the DCC, they can make alternative demands until such time as they do

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Niner, I think your cert should be valid. The regulation is direct and binding on all member states from 1 July. The derogation until 12 August is only in relation to the format of the DCC which Ireland issues. Nothing to give Irelan an option to disregard other DCCs.

See arts 15 & 17.

Article 15

Phasing-in period

1. COVID-19 certificates issued by a Member State before 1 July 2021 shall be accepted by the other Member States until 12 August 2021 in accordance with Article 5(5), Article 6(5) and Article 7(8), where they contain the data set out in the Annex.
    2. Where a Member State is not able to issue the certificates referred to in Article 3(1) in a format that complies with this Regulation from 1 July 2021, it shall inform the Commission and the other Member States accordingly. Where they contain the data set out in the Annex, the COVID-19 certificates issued by such a Member State in a format that does not comply with this Regulation shall be accepted by the other Member States in accordance with Article 5(5), Article 6(5) and Article 7(8) until 12 August 2021.

Article 17

Entry into force

This Regulation shall enter into force on the day of its publication in the Official Journal of the European Union.
    It shall apply from 1 July 2021 to 30 June 2022.
    This Regulation shall be binding in its entirety and directly applicable in all Member States.
    Done at Brussels, 14 June 2021.

Hellrazer wrote: »

I presume only in the context of Irish operators issuing antigen tests for travel to countries which accept them.

Michael O'Leary has not been in Dublin airport for a long time. He has not witnessed any activities at immigration

Look, when it comes to state agencies, you can say pretty much whatever you want because only the Minister can call you a liar. No state agency will come out against a statement or release the real facts.

Look at the Dubai 2. No official mentioned your ones positive test and it wasnt used in her defence before the courts but mammy was free to make up false claims about a false negative and the papers ran it. Not a single legitimate source responded because of data protection.

O leary said on radio one Friday that fully vaccinated he had to present a pcr returning from Brussels

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

How can you make such a bald statement as that? Do you know that for a fact? Can you prove it?

This is the current wording on the Gov.ie website with regard to inbound travel:

"All passengers arriving in Ireland must:

- complete a COVID-19 Passenger Locator Form
    - provide evidence that you have a negative or ‘not detected’ result from a COVID-19 Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) test carried out no more than 72 hours before you arrive into Ireland, or have evidence that you are exempt from this legal requirement."

From 1st July the vaccination or recovery EU DCCs would, imho, be evidence of exemption from the legal PCR test requirement.

The last extension to the legal PCR test requirement (and stipulated exemptions) came into effect from 11th June. The EU DCC regulation was signed on 14th June and came into effect on 1st July. EU regulations prevail over national law.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

i will be fully vaccinated on the 13th of july. if i travel to london for business end of the month will i need a negative PCR test to come back to ireland or do we know what the story is yet?

Marcusm wrote: »
    Niner, I think your cert should be valid. The regulation is direct and binding on all member states from 1 July. The derogation until 12 August is only in relation to the format of the DCC which Ireland issues. Nothing to give Irelan an option to disregard other DCCs.

See arts 15 & 17.

Article 15

Phasing-in period

1. COVID-19 certificates issued by a Member State before 1 July 2021 shall be accepted by the other Member States until 12 August 2021 in accordance with Article 5(5), Article 6(5) and Article 7(8), where they contain the data set out in the Annex.
    2. Where a Member State is not able to issue the certificates referred to in Article 3(1) in a format that complies with this Regulation from 1 July 2021, it shall inform the Commission and the other Member States accordingly. Where they contain the data set out in the Annex, the COVID-19 certificates issued by such a Member State in a format that does not comply with this Regulation shall be accepted by the other Member States in accordance with Article 5(5), Article 6(5) and Article 7(8) until 12 August 2021.

Article 17

Entry into force

This Regulation shall enter into force on the day of its publication in the Official Journal of the European Union.
    It shall apply from 1 July 2021 to 30 June 2022.
    This Regulation shall be binding in its entirety and directly applicable in all Member States.
    Done at Brussels, 14 June 2021.

Hmmm, yes it appears so. Well thats good news then as it seems I can get my vaccination recognised in Spain and get a Spanish DCC as well. Today could well be a good news day

unplayable wrote: »
    i will be fully vaccinated on the 13th of july. if i travel to london for business end of the month will i need a negative PCR test to come back to ireland or do we know what the story is yet?

You will in all likelyhood, require a PCR as there is nothing stated yet about the CTA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

If your Mum feels as strongly about this as you do,I think she should rock up to check in with her vaccination card

No she’s of a certain generation who grew up and just went along with whatever the parish priest said. Never questions authority, even when the abuse of authority is as plain as day.

Advertisement