Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

O leary said on radio one Friday that fully vaccinated he had to present a pcr returning from Brussels

Hes Irish is he not and therefore doesnt have a DCC yet?

Did he say if his own staff checked his PCR before boarding?

Hmmm, yes. Couldnt possible be PR spin by the master of spin.
    acequion wrote: »
    How can you make such a bald statement as that? Do you know that for a fact? Can you prove it?

Ace, stop with this **** again. Making silly demands and looking for a fight when you know full well that to prove it would require accessing and releasing someones personal data against the law. You were banned once for the same stuff. Im as entitled to make a statement as you are and you make plenty

He doesnt work in the airport, he doesnt access it. If he flew, he would have all the knowledge of 1 person that went through immigration and again, hes a PR merchant that makes wild claims all the time to suit an agenda but then maybe I am telling fibs and hes not. Thats for you to make a decision on but I have no dog in the fight, he does

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hmmm, yes it appears so. Well thats good news then as it seems I can get my vaccination recognised in Spain and get a Spanish DCC as well. Today could well be a good news day

Ireland is permitted elsewhere to issue a DCC based on non-Irish vaccinations of suitable vaccines but I see that as a long road to furrow to find the process. The recitals to the regulations make it clear that these are the health based grounds for opening up. It will be interesting to see if the fine disappears but remains as advice or guidance against non-essential travel. It is clear, however, that the government cannot prefer vaccination, test or recovery. All must be accepted for issuance and inbound travel. Will be interesting to see whether NPHET continues to protest the law of the land (as these regulations now are).

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

unplayable wrote: »
    i will be fully vaccinated on the 13th of july. if i travel to london for business end of the month will i need a negative PCR test to come back to ireland or do we know what the story is yet?

Just fly to Belfast, no headache

Marcusm wrote: »
    Ireland is permitted elsewhere to issue a DCC based on non-Irish vaccinations of suitable vaccines but I see that as a long road to furrow to find the process. The recitals to the regulations make it clear that these are the health based grounds for opening up. It will be interesting to see if the fine disappears but remains as advice or guidance against non-essential travel. It is clear, however, that the government cannot prefer vaccination, test or recovery. All must be accepted for issuance and inbound travel. Will be interesting to see whether NPHET continues to protest the law of the land (as these regulations now are).

Well my main worry isnt Ireland recognizing abroad vaccinations as I see that being a serious struggle but getting Spain to recognize the Irish vaccination. Purely to avoid the last minute running around I know I will be left doing on the 19th and 20th July. It appears from what another user said here that Spain is issuing everything via the DCC so hopefully its a simple process.

gral6 wrote: »
    Just fly to Belfast, no headache

As Belfast is not within the EU either , anyone taking that route is still legally required to obtain a PCR and quarantine at home.

Not everyone feels comfortable bypassing the law even if theres little chance of being caught

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Mr.S wrote: »
    Except the headache of a trip from Belfast back to home!?

2 hours on the trip or 5 days of home quarantine? You must be joking me

• Registered Users Posts: 28 doyled4

Fast pass is very useful for anyone flying before the 19th. The best 6 euro I ever spent. Thanks to whoever posted it first

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

Niner, I think your cert should be valid. The regulation is direct and binding on all member states from 1 July. The derogation until 12 August is only in relation to the format of the DCC which Ireland issues. Nothing to give Irelan an option to disregard other DCCs.

See arts 15 & 17.

Article 15

Phasing-in period

1. COVID-19 certificates issued by a Member State before 1 July 2021 shall be accepted by the other Member States until 12 August 2021 in accordance with Article 5(5), Article 6(5) and Article 7(8), where they contain the data set out in the Annex.
    2. Where a Member State is not able to issue the certificates referred to in Article 3(1) in a format that complies with this Regulation from 1 July 2021, it shall inform the Commission and the other Member States accordingly. Where they contain the data set out in the Annex, the COVID-19 certificates issued by such a Member State in a format that does not comply with this Regulation shall be accepted by the other Member States in accordance with Article 5(5), Article 6(5) and Article 7(8) until 12 August 2021.

Article 17

Entry into force

This Regulation shall enter into force on the day of its publication in the Official Journal of the European Union.
    It shall apply from 1 July 2021 to 30 June 2022.
    This Regulation shall be binding in its entirety and directly applicable in all Member States.
    Done at Brussels, 14 June 2021.

Yes it's directly applicable but hardly going to get an infringement action going in 2 weeks, even two years!

O leary said on radio one Friday that fully vaccinated he had to present a pcr returning from Brussels

Yes I'm in the same boat and have a Belgian DCC. I can do a real world test soon but will have PCR in my pocket and will need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

gral6 wrote: »
    2 hours on the trip and 5 days of home quarantine? You must be joking me

Not everyone in Ireland lives within 2 hours of Belfast (ie. not everyone lives in Dublin). Some of us live 6 hours away. Still, I’d consider flying from Belfast.

• Advertisement

Ireland is permitted elsewhere to issue a DCC based on non-Irish vaccinations of suitable vaccines but I see that as a long road to furrow to find the process.

Very long...

Dear (MMCLO),

The Minister of State for the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform, Public Procurement, eGovernment with special responsibility for Communications and Circular Economy, Ossian Smyth T.D., has asked me to reply to your recent correspondence regarding the EU Digital Green Certificate.

The Minister has noted the contents of your email and would like to thank you for taking the time to contact him. He fully understands your, and others, interest in the new EU Digital COVID Certificate (EU DCC). As you are aware the EU DCC scheme aims to facilitate the safe movement of citizens within the EU, as we seek to return to more "normal" living.

While discussions across the EU continue on the detail of how the Green Certificate will be issued and used, it is likely that, where someone has been vaccinated or tested within the EU, the Member State where the relevant event took place will be responsible for issuing the relevant certificate.

I understand that Belgium has implemented an application for mobile devices. Their certificate for vaccinated people is valid up to 1 year and they are able to email it to you. You can find more details at: https://covidsafe.be/en/.

Kind regards,

Morgan Dwyer (Assoc CIPD)

Private Secretary to the Minister of State for Public Procurement and eGovernment

An Roinn Caiteachais Phoblí agus Athchóirithe

Department of Public Expenditure and Reform

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭esposito

Does anyone know if you can get a PCR test done in the airport in say Spain or Italy before flying home to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mcc1411

Hi just an update from our trip with family. Got the airport t2 check point in place but no sign of a Garda. At security same again no Garda at the post. Sad sight past security. Nobody and nothing open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Hes Irish is he not and therefore doesnt have a DCC yet?

Did he say if his own staff checked his PCR before boarding?

Hmmm, yes. Couldnt possible be PR spin by the master of spin.

Ace, stop with this **** again. Making silly demands and looking for a fight when you know full well that to prove it would require accessing and releasing someones personal data against the law. You were banned once for the same stuff. Im as entitled to make a statement as you are and you make plenty

He doesnt work in the airport, he doesnt access it. If he flew, he would have all the knowledge of 1 person that went through immigration and again, hes a PR merchant that makes wild claims all the time to suit an agenda but then maybe I am telling fibs and hes not. Thats for you to make a decision on but I have no dog in the fight, he does

Hey, calm down! You have no idea when Micheal O Leary was last in Dublin airport, he could be in and out of the airport all the time for all you know. Unless you know? But otherwise no point posting your beliefs as if they were fact. People read those bald statements and believe them and that kind of stuff spreads fake news. Like it or not, like him or not, O Leary is an important figure in Irish aviation so his movements in the country are of interest.

esposito wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can get a PCR test done in the airport in say Spain or Italy before flying home to Ireland?

Most take 24hrs,so not practical on the day of the flight

In Italy a friend of mine recently got stuck in Sicily because they insisted that the Antigen test they were giving him was good enough. It wasnt even though apparantly Michael O'Leary claims it is. I guess not all his staff got the memo.

You are asking way too generic a question though, some airports yes, some no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Specific to tests - A few weeks back Minister Smyth (i think) mentioned that the tests (PCR) relating to the European Covid Passport would be done by private labs who'd then issue you with the covid passport/QR code.

Then the RTE news website said that RocDoc would be doing the tests.

So, is it just RocDoc who'll be doing the testing for travel or will other private providers be doing testing certs also?

CZ 453 wrote: »
    Specific to tests - A few weeks back Minister Smyth (i think) mentioned that the tests (PCR) relating to the European Covid Passport would be done by private labs who'd then issue you with the covid passport/QR code.

Then the RTE news website said that RocDoc would be doing the tests.

So, is it just RocDoc who'll be doing the testing for travel or will other private providers be doing testing certs also?

You would assume that if they can achieve the required IT, they can all get accredited / access to the system. Otherwise its a one horse race and not the cheapest horse either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭CZ 453

You would assume that if they can achieve the required IT, they can all get accredited / access to the system. Otherwise its a one horse race

I suppose it's the use of "the private company that will issue PCR test results as part of the certificate" in this article leads to confusion. https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0704/1232982-coronavirus-ireland/

I'd have hoped for multiple providers. The pricing varies a lot.

Well my main worry isnt Ireland recognizing abroad vaccinations as I see that being a serious struggle but getting Spain to recognize the Irish vaccination. Purely to avoid the last minute running around I know I will be left doing on the 19th and 20th July. It appears from what another user said here that Spain is issuing everything via the DCC so hopefully its a simple process.

Unless you are registered as a Spanish resident and do actually live there I would expect the prospect to be close to 0%.

Art 3.1(a) empowers the member state in which the vaccine was provided to produce the cert. the provision for member states to issue certs on vaccines provided elsewhere applies to third country vaccinations (eg US, U.K., UAE). I don’t think Spain is empowered to issue a cert based on a vaccination in another member state.

• Advertisement

mmclo wrote: »
    Yes it's directly applicable but hardly going to get an infringement action going in 2 weeks, even two years!

It’s the practicality of the small number of thousands arriving snd the absence of a place to put them! It has been reported that people have been let in with certs. It has equally been reported that Ireland failed to formally notify it’s inability to issue DCCs by 1 July.

CZ 453 wrote: »
    I suppose it's the use of "the private company that will issue PCR test results as part of the certificate" in this article leads to confusion. https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0704/1232982-coronavirus-ireland/

I'd have hoped for multiple providers. The pricing varies a lot.

Yeah its a bit oddly worded but I dont think the government can limit access to just one company. Hopefully not anyway, not the cheapest and hardly suits everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭eltonyio

Yeah its a bit oddly worded but I dont think the government can limit access to just one company. Hopefully not anyway, not the cheapest and hardly suits everyone

Capacity would be an issue also. Needs to be great ease of access if these are going to be around for another while.

mmclo wrote: »
    Very long...

Dear (MMCLO),

The Minister of State for the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform, Public Procurement, eGovernment with special responsibility for Communications and Circular Economy, Ossian Smyth T.D., has asked me to reply to your recent correspondence regarding the EU Digital Green Certificate.

The Minister has noted the contents of your email and would like to thank you for taking the time to contact him. He fully understands your, and others, interest in the new EU Digital COVID Certificate (EU DCC). As you are aware the EU DCC scheme aims to facilitate the safe movement of citizens within the EU, as we seek to return to more "normal" living.

While discussions across the EU continue on the detail of how the Green Certificate will be issued and used, it is likely that, where someone has been vaccinated or tested within the EU, the Member State where the relevant event took place will be responsible for issuing the relevant certificate.

I understand that Belgium has implemented an application for mobile devices. Their certificate for vaccinated people is valid up to 1 year and they are able to email it to you. You can find more details at: https://covidsafe.be/en/.

Kind regards,

Morgan Dwyer (Assoc CIPD)

Private Secretary to the Minister of State for Public Procurement and eGovernment

An Roinn Caiteachais Phoblí agus Athchóirithe

Department of Public Expenditure and Reform

The power is for vaccinations in third countries, ie non member states. If you got vaccinated in a member state then you get the cert from that member state.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

As Belfast is not within the EU either , anyone taking that route is still legally required to obtain a PCR and quarantine at home.

Not everyone feels comfortable bypassing the law even if theres little chance of being caught

Oh give it over. Stupid laws are there to be broken, same as the TV licence. Have you never gone a few klms over the speed limit in a 30klms zone?? Law breaker :rolleyes:

Plenty of people are flying to Belfast and driving down. There are a raft of minibus providers ferrying people back and forth all day so folk can avoid the ridiculous situation they are faced with by the clowns in government and NPHET.

There's a lad in my job from Norwich who is flying over tomorrow to London and returning through Belfast Thursday morning to go watch the semi final of the euros with his friends.

Nobody in work cares if he quarantines or not the whole thing is a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

From my experience in Spain there are many hospitals and clinics offering PCR and antigen. When there recently, I found a clinic literally minutes from my appartment so I was able to get the PCR the day before. Pricey at €110 but I think that's roughly the cost of PCR in Spain.

As another poster pointed out, it really depends on where you are. But in Spain, in any case, accessing testing for travel is easier than parts of Ireland. In Kerry, for example, all you have is the Bon Secours hospital in Tralee which only does PCR and only does testing Mon-Sat and only 8-10 am. If somebody knows anywhere else in Kerry which provides better I'd be delighted to hear it? Otherwise we have to travel approx two hours away to Cork or Limerick.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Limiting it to one provider may be seen as a way to keep the numbers 'under control'...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I know the law is in place until 11.59, do we know last time do they leave it until last minute to confirm if extended?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Other countries of the EU seem to be actively encouraging a return to normal travel. Has there ever been any reason given as to why Ireland is swimming against the tide on this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Other countries of the EU seem to be actively encouraging a return to normal travel. Has there ever been any reason given as to why Ireland is swimming against the tide on this?

To keep out the variant that is currently 70% of cases :p

Advertisement