Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭JoChervil

dmrules wrote: »
    Hi, you don't need test before boarding the flight, test on arrival and you're good to go .

Thank you very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Great booked for first week of August and now I'm been told there is an 8 week processing time for new passport applications for kids. :mad:

This ****ing country, what brainbox deemed passport department a non essential service? Its a form of primary ID for many, never mind for travel use.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

faceman wrote: »
    I saw your post and figured it would wind up people and I wasn’t wrong

Tbf though, no one has been running around like demented rabbits. Any chaos that has existed has been down to the lack of planning, communication and transparency of the government. You’re keen to go travelling again too no doubt, but you can’t deny how badly it’s all been managed.

Ireland has lost out given how Ryanair have routed their fleet for the summer and part of the autumn. Aer Lingus are goosed without further cuts and investment.

While you can laugh at the demented rabbits and i agree, that prior to June and vaccination it wasn’t a time for holidays. But the impact it’s left on the aviation and tourism sector, uncertainty for people who did have to travel for essential reasons is no laughing matter.

No definitely wasn't posted as what you describe - simply a light hearted look at the descriptions here of people sneaking into the airport etc and some of the frankly hillarious ( if not downright dubious) advice being given albeit by a very small number

But yes as I figure correctly there would be "some" who would fein reasons for outage etc. And I wasn't wrong tbf.

The facts are regardless of anyones views on things not being fair, restrictions being against freeman theory, mismanagement or whatever - the situation globally is still volatile and is likley to stay that way in the short term.

And to take a more serious view of the situation as it stands we have some advocating that people not only bend the regulations/ guidelines / rules but also I see suggestions of lying to Gardai / airport officials often for the sole purpose of going on vacation. Not essential travel etc. Personally I find that does not reflect well on people here or the country overall.

rob316 wrote: »
    Great booked for first week of August and now I'm been told there is an 8 week processing time for new passport applications for kids. :mad:

This ****ing country, what brainbox deemed passport department a non essential service? Its a form of primary ID for many, never mind for travel use.

Its up to 10 weeks in the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Its up to 10 weeks in the UK!

Had to get my little one a UK one as the Irish office was closed in February.

Took a week. That's a first-time passport so I'm not sure where you got your information from but they have been working throughout the lockdowns.

Annoying as the Irish one is only like e25 whereas the Brits charge close to £50

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Um, have you read that article?

"At this stage, there is insufficient evidence to indicate that a change to the NCC is required or that there is in fact a technical solution available to this form of transmission," a spokesman said.

wrote:
    That is true, they've had a very costly 25 deaths in NZ and about a thousand in Australia. Of course we have also had a huge cost of almost 5000 deaths, not to mention the financial cost of closing our economy for the best part of a year

Wait...

I suggest you start researching the impact covid measures have had beyond covid deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

gozunda wrote: »
    Have to laugh - the general picture of people scurrying around like demented rabbits in the headlights hell bent on bending rules, coming up with imaginative "essential" reasons, lying and ducky and diving around an airport - all to go on a holiday for a bit of weather and booze or how's your father is a bit well frankly hillarious :pac:

Yeah and I know some who think there should be no restrictions whatsoever, something something freemen, inalienable rights, North Korea.

The thing is the whole situation right across Europe and globally is still highly volatile. The issues with restrictions are not just in Ireland.

My advice would be for peace of mind and to save your well earned money - hold off until things are a bit more certain until at least the 19th and forget those advocating the Lanigan Ball style antics

#queue outrage :D

But you've been warning people of the dangers of catching an illness abroad for over 3 years now, what is it about the 19th that's going to suddenly cure long term hypochondria and xenophobia? Why would your advice change now after all this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Jesus lads can we just keep this thread for those who (rightly or wrongly) want international travel to open up to greater extent than it currently is.

Some are much more cautious about this topic and that is perfectly fine, but there is a distinct separate thread for that argument.

Mod is there any way this thread could be kept for:

1. Planning a trip abroad, regardless of reason
    2. Those with questions on current/future requirements re. testing/quarantine etc.
    3. The experiences of those who are traveling right now, both the journey itself and the destination
    4. Perhaps flight and accommodation deals

Maybe I'm the only one but I'm signing off if this just continues to be the same back and over arguments about the rights and wrongs of international travel. There really is a separate thread for that!!

Edit. There is a thread for variants too!

Feria40 wrote: »

Maybe I'm the only one but I'm signing off if this just continues to be the same back and over arguments about the rights and wrongs of international travel. There really is a separate thread for that!!

I'd agree but I'd say the reason for the thread pad is so few are flying and all you need here is tips for another month on how to cod the guards on the way in

The other thing is,boards.ie is part of distilled media an Irish registered company with a thread discussing how to break the law and actively giving tips on how to do so
    Theres a reason why newspapers,radio and TV don't do this
    Discussion on how to break the law is verboten on other forums here
    faceman wrote: »

I suggest you start researching the impact covid measures have had beyond covid deaths.

Provisional data on suicides in 2020,is they're down 80 on 2019 and over 200 less than 2012

But you've been warning people of the dangers of catching an illness abroad for over 3 years now, what is it about the 19th that's going to suddenly cure long term hypochondria and xenophobia? Why would your advice change now after all this time?

Lol. You mean one comment from 3 years ago about a newspaper report - dug up recently by a poster who on that subsequently got banned for having a go?

But sure the actual situation regarding international travel remaining being described as volatile at least in the short-term is as you describe "long term hypochondria and xenophobia"

Absolutely...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kozak

Booked Randox PCR test in Dun Laoghaire drive thru. Location is not clear. Randox website reads Harbour Road Dun Laoghaire, without number or building name. Phoned Randox helpline - useless, was told to watch signposts. Any ideas about location on Harbor Road ?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Applied on the 2nd of January and finally got a kids passport in the 2nd week in May!!
    The passport office was closed under level 5. In fairness when they did open up again at the start of May the application was processed in about 2 1/2 weeks . That was a child renewal (post in paperwork required). T
    The big delays seem to be with initial adult for non Irish born citizens

kozak wrote: »
    Booked Randox PCR test in Dun Laoghaire drive thru. Location is not clear. Randox website reads Harbour Road Dun Laoghaire, without number or building name. Phoned Randox helpline - useless, was told to watch signposts. Any ideas about location on Harbor Road ?

Its not on Google maps
    Try calling the Clayton Hotel in lepordstown where they have a centre maybe they would know?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭patscott27

About the passports. Was worried about not being able to renew mine after hearing about very long delays. So I did a renewal online in April and had one in 3 days. First passports probably take longer I guess but just giving credit where it is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I believe its down by what used to be the Stenna line terminal area.

Heard that 2nd hand so can't confirm it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

gozunda wrote: »

And to take a more serious view of the situation as it stands we have some advocating that people not only bend the regulations/ guidelines / rules but also I see suggestions of lying to Gardai / airport officials often for the sole purpose of going on vacation. Not essential travel etc. Personally I find that does not reflect well on people here or the country overall.

And personally I would very much disagree. What does not reflect well on the country overall is the continuation of such draconian restrictions which clearly fly in the face of EU principles of freedom of movement and at a time when the rest of the EU is looking to open up and facilitate movement for their citizens. I personally find these rules an enormous embarrassment and slur on Ireland's international image and I lay the blame firmly with the Govt for putting people into such a humiliating situation which creates entertainment for you and others like you. When I booked essential medical treatment for my partner at a foreign clinic and had to empahsise the need to email a clear confirmation I found I was too embarrassed to explain exactly why I needed this confirmation. Embarrassed that Ireland has become so repressive.

And is there no chance at all that you might get that not all travel is for hols, sun, booze and all your other colourful definitions! For many it's a lot more boring and mundane, but nonetheless an important part of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

That looks correct according to the map on their website.

https://booking.randox.ie/

554940.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Feria40 wrote: »
    Jesus lads can we just keep this thread for those who (rightly or wrongly) want international travel to open up to greater extent than it currently is.

Some are much more cautious about this topic and that is perfectly fine, but there is a distinct separate thread for that argument.

Mod is there any way this thread could be kept for:

1. Planning a trip abroad, regardless of reason
    2. Those with questions on current/future requirements re. testing/quarantine etc.
    3. The experiences of those who are traveling right now, both the journey itself and the destination
    4. Perhaps flight and accommodation deals

I'm 100% agreement with you, including not getting why the constant derailments go without consequences, but it's the same 3 or 4 names every day. Just put them on your ignore list. If people didnt quote them ( I also just scroll past anywhere they are even quoted) itd be like they didnt exist.

Ignore, ignore, ignore button.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Correct, it's well signposted from the harbour/ferry terminal area.

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    I'm 100% agreement with you, including not getting why the constant derailments go without consequences, but it's the same 3 or 4 names every day. Just put them on your ignore list. If people didnt quote them ( I also just scroll past anywhere they are even quoted) itd be like they didnt exist.

Except that it results in you missing good information sometimes.

If you ignore alternative opinions, you just remain ignorant of the truth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

It’s at the old ferry Terminal, go to the back of the Dart station it’s opposite it.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

who booksa holiday when they don't have passports?

And personally I would very much disagree. What does not reflect well on the country overall is the continuation of such draconian restrictions which clearly fly in the face of EU principles of freedom of movement and at a time when the rest of the EU is looking to open up and facilitate movement for their citizens. I personally find these rules an enormous embarrassment and slur on Ireland's international image and I lay the blame firmly with the Govt for putting people into such a humiliating situation which creates entertainment for you and others like you. When I booked essential medical treatment for my partner at a foreign clinic and had to empahsise the need to email a clear confirmation I found I was too embarrassed to explain exactly why I needed this confirmation. Embarrassed that Ireland has become so repressive.

And is there no chance at all that you might get that not all travel is for hols, sun, booze and all your other colourful definitions! For many it's a lot more boring and mundane, but nonetheless an important part of their lives.

Well thanks for the rather long comment- however my post referred to posts about travel for holidays. But hey there you go...

Big difference in those who disagree with rules / regulations/ restrictions and those advocating bending or breaking same / lying to gardai or other officials all just because some want to go on their holliers.

And again - no that does not refer to essential travel for medical reasons etc which is absolutely not restricted and has not been from the very beginning. But more importantly we know when international travel is returning. And thats the point. It's not like people don't know that.

And it remains we're far from the only country with travel restrictions to discourage non essential travel and who in some instances have even gone beyond restrictions here. The UK and Norway come to mind. But noooooo Ireland is the worsest as some seem to suggest ad infinitum.

Conflating the two does not make for an good argument tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

It's been a long hard 14 months for many me included tbh

I'm getting away come hell or high water this summer and frankly i could care less what anyone thinks or how they view that.

The constant Covid news and daily reports here in Ireland are ridiculous at this stage and speaking to friends who are living in Europe or the US they are not subjected to the same level of negative propaganda by the media there.

The old are vaccinated and I've more than played my part. It's time to stop this daily obsession with case numbers and let people get on with living.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭josip

Not holidays but we'd usually book flights for the following year as soon as we got back, so in normal times we'd have 3 family trips booked at any time and every 2nd year somebodies passport will be expiring in that time.
    It's reasonable to assume that your country can provide you with a passport within 1 month I'd think?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

I applied on line for 3 x kids renewal 5th May, got 2 back yesterday, 3rd one I’ve to resubmit photo & it’ll be issued then, so hopefully you mightn’t have to wait the 8 weeks for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

patscott27 wrote: »
    About the passports. Was worried about not being able to renew mine after hearing about very long delays. So I did a renewal online in April and had one in 3 days. First passports probably take longer I guess but just giving credit where it is due.

This is what I've heard too. I don't know what they're saying or why they're saying it but anyone I know who's applied to get one renewed has actually got it very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭rob316

New baby, didn't think it takes 2 months

M_Murphy57 wrote: »

You’re right. I’ve put the usual handful of suspects on ignore and hopefully the rest of those on the thread don’t engage with them. They have their own, about border control and MHQ (which has gone very quiet, which I assume is why they are here)

anyway, ignored

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I apologize sincerely if this has been asked before but I'm finding it hard to find a definitive answer regarding what fully vaccinated truly means.

I am travelling home from Switzerland with my 4 year old twins (exempt) on the 19th of July. I am having my second vaccine 2 days earlier on the 17th. Does that qualify me as exempt or is there an agreed bedding in period?

If not exempt I assume a negative pcr test will be required for outbound travel and presentation on arrival in Ireland?

Advertisement