Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

TefalBrain wrote: »

Nobody in work cares if he quarantines or not the whole thing is a farce.

Still not an option for Public Service staff, unless you keep your mouth very much shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Am I the only one here who is awaiting 23:59 tonite with anticipation?

What’s the odds that the 2k fine will be extended?

How could it possibly be policed by our border control guys considering this weekend we will have departing/returning foreign tourists at our airports (who arrived last week on holidays with their own domestic DCC passes) .

Will it be a blatant segregation at the check in desks for Irish departees and foreign departees. ? One gets a fine 2k the other “have a nice trip” ?

Could become quite a comical sight if so.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

dalyboy wrote: »

When is it due to expire?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

esposito wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can get a PCR test done in the airport in say Spain or Italy before flying home to Ireland?

Yes but as another poster has mentioned it will generally need to be at least 24 hours in advance

Also if you are going down this route BOOK well in advance. I have heard of a number of people just turning up only to be told that no slots are available

Hellrazer wrote: »
    When is it due to expire?

Afaik it expires tonight at midnight. (Although it’s very much tipped to be extended till the 18th July at 23:59 to “allow” our DCC)

• Advertisement

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Oh give it over. Stupid laws are there to be broken, same as the TV licence. Have you never gone a few klms over the speed limit in a 30klms zone?? Law breaker :rolleyes:

Plenty of people are flying to Belfast and driving down. There are a raft of minibus providers ferrying people back and forth all day so folk can avoid the ridiculous situation they are faced with by the clowns in government and NPHET.

There's a lad in my job from Norwich who is flying over tomorrow to London and returning through Belfast Thursday morning to go watch the semi final of the euros with his friends.

Nobody in work cares if he quarantines or not the whole thing is a farce.

What I do or dont do is irelevent.

Simple reality, IF someone chooses to do so they are committing an offence. If the company allows a person into work when they know this, they are committing an offence.

Thats their choice but people rely on this thread for reliable information and that includes being sure people realise this isnt a loophole and the law does actually allow for it.

You do realise that its not just Ireland dont you? I travelled by train from Bratislava to Prague. Different countries with different requirements for Irish travellers but I wasnt checked. Same for Portugal and Spain.

How could it possibly be policed by our border control guys considering this weekend we will have departing/returning foreign tourists at our airports (who arrived last week on holidays with their own domestic DCC passes) .

Will it be a blatant segregation at the check in desks for Irish departees and foreign departees. ? One gets a fine 2k the other “have a nice trip” ?

Could become quite a comical sight if so.

It will be the exact same as it was last week and the month before. The 2k fine is policed by the police and nothing to do at all with either passport control or checkin

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Other countries of the EU seem to be actively encouraging a return to normal travel. Has there ever been any reason given as to why Ireland is swimming against the tide on this?

Norway announced a rollback today. We arent the only country that thinks we can stop the Delta variant

spockety wrote: »
    Limiting it to one provider may be seen as a way to keep the numbers 'under control'...

Thats a nice excuse but it would be anti competition in an open market I would have thought and against the DCC agreement which specified cheap and accessible testing

pc7 wrote: »
    I know the law is in place until 11.59, do we know last time do they leave it until last minute to confirm if extended?

As of 4pm nothing on SI.ie or the news about it

• Advertisement

Taoiseach confirmed at a press conference the digital certificate will be ready to go on the 19th.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Seriously considering adding a week to our august holiday to canaries and leaving in July. If it looks good for DCC by 19th might ring agent tomorrow. Would be so good to get away from here for a bit longer!

pc7 wrote: »
    Seriously considering adding a week to our august holiday to canaries and leaving in July. If it looks good for DCC by 19th might ring agent tomorrow. Would be so good to get away from here for a bit longer!

With the DCC, anyone thats vaccinated should be jumping on the cheap flights while they are there. Tracking prices through to next January myself

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JayReale

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I booked with an agent as just wanted security as traveling with smallies. I can see to go a week earlier is dirt cheap and their own charter so will ring tomorrow see if we can extend it. 3 weeks out of here would be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

Just read on twitter that the fine has been extended....

Replying to
    @annmcnam
    Hi Ann. Thank you for your query. Statutory Instrument (SI) 329 has extended the date in SI 217. You can be fined for travelling without an essential reason until 19 July 2021. SI 329 is available here: https://gov.ie/en/collection/1f150-view-statutory-instruments-related-to-the-covid-19-pandemic/ Hope this helps, Liam
    3:59 PM · Jul 5, 2021·Agorapulse app

Btw, that's copied. It's not a reply to me

JayReale wrote: »

Well there ya go then. As I was slaughtered for daring to say a few weeks ago. The very predictable extension comes in.

One thing though folks, its extended until 23:59 ON the 19th, not the 18th so that included the 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JayReale

Well there ya go then. As I was slaughtered for daring to say a few weeks ago. The very predictable extension comes in.

One thing though folks, its extended until 23:59 ON the 19th, not the 18th so that included the 19th.

The big question is whether they'll be bothered their arse actually enforcing it or if they'll take the more relaxed / sane approach of recent weeks.

Very weird how it's including the 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Yeah its a bit oddly worded but I dont think the government can limit access to just one company. Hopefully not anyway, not the cheapest and hardly suits everyone

"RocDoc Health Check and Randox are providing RT-PCR COVID-19 testing and Rapid Antigentesting at Dublin Airport". It mentions DCC but doesn't specifically say that Randox is participating in the DCC.

https://www.dublinairport.com/docs/default-source/covid-email-planning-guide/dublin-airport-travel-tips.pdf?sfvrsn=f782ec86_6

They are absolute dirt birds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,280 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Nobody should be surprised this was extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

The absolute fools. My partner travels on the morning of the 19th. Fully vacced and heading home to Italy.

I can assume since she has an Italian passport she can simply say "Heading home" as she is not an Irish citizen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Other countries of the EU seem to be actively encouraging a return to normal travel. Has there ever been any reason given as to why Ireland is swimming against the tide on this?
    one word - Tony

So yet again , more Tom-foolery.
    Why are they saying our DCC is for the 19th of July when it’s in fact the 20th of July.

I’m flabbergasted as to the hilarity of our governments mismanagement at this point.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Why are they saying our DCC is for the 19th of July when it’s in fact the 20th of July.

I’m flabbergasted as to the hilarity of our governments mismanagement at this point.

In all fairness Donnelly didnt know how many days were in a month a while back - how can you expect him to know what time one day ends and the next begins??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I don't really see the uproar lads. The DCC comes into effect from 00:00 on 19th July. It doesn't really make a difference when the legislation expires. People can travel freely with the pass.

They are numpties. I wouldn't be surprised if midnight on the 19th rather than 18th was a clerical error, that's how little these people care about aviation. It likely wasn't even proof read!

My flight is booked for the morning of the 19th. I don't expect to encounter any guards but I guess I better have some crap made up in advance just in case

I don't really see the uproar lads. The DCC comes into effect from 00:00 on 19th July. It doesn't really make a difference when the legislation expires. People can travel freely with the pass.

But that’s actually incorrect according to Niner.
    It’s 23:59 on the 19th of July

So if your flying out at 23:55 on the 19th of July you are violating our laws of no non essential travel and are subject to a 2k fine (weather it’ll be rigorously enforced is unknown but enough to certainly put people off flying on the 19th)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

A few of us said it a few weeks ago. Anyone could see it.

I'd expect that to be an error with regards to the 18th / 19th, wouldn't expect anything less to be honest

Cert comes into action on the 19th so a typo that can easily be solved or else blind eye (discretion) for 24hrs

Advertisement