Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Hellrazer wrote: »
    In all fairness Donnelly didnt know how many days were in a month a while back - how can you expect him to know what time one day ends and the next begins??

That’s exactly what sprung to mind as I was typing my comment.
    He’d fail junior infants school entrance exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

dalyboy wrote: »
    But that’s actually incorrect according to Niner.
    It’s 23:59 on the 19th of July

So if your flying out at 23:55 on the 19th of July you are violating our laws of no non essential travel and are subject to a 2k fine (weather it’ll be rigorously enforced is unknown but enough to certainly put people off flying on the 19th)
    Just because it's the law doesn't mean it'll be enforced. I know for a fact there's people travelling out of the airports here each day showing the Gardai their HSE vaccine card and being waved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Still not an option for Public Service staff, unless you keep your mouth very much shut.

Until 19th July.

Just because it's the law doesn't mean it'll be enforced. I know for a fact there's people travelling out of the airports here each day showing the Gardai their HSE vaccine card and being waved on.

Agreed on all points. And if there’s a will there’s a way.

I’m viewing this from the perspective of eg my own parents (late 60’s)
    They’ve booked their flights for afternoon on the 19th believing they’re in the clear and abiding the law (and not subject to a 2k fine)

If I told them that they’re actually in violation even on the 19th of July they’d loose their flights costing €650 of value (plus non refundable hotel) so they’d be on the right side of the law.

It just seems grossly unfair and malicious to have ever said it was the 19th of July when it turns out to be the 20th in reality

Sorry for the rant …. I’m very annoyed by this. Phew.

Feria40 wrote: »
    They are numpties. I wouldn't be surprised if midnight on the 19th rather than 18th was a clerical error, that's how little these people care about aviation. It likely wasn't even proof read!

Maybe they can roll out the ole reliable “ooh it was the HSE hack” again. Haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My flight is booked for the morning of the 19th. I don't expect to encounter any guards but I guess I better have some crap made up in advance just in case

I had already booked my flight also based on the premise we were told travel was open from the 19th.
    It'll be even more of a PITA if the DCC doesn't operate exactly from that morning as indicated.

Until 19th July.

Internal requirements are nothing to do with the law. It was a requirement for the public sector long before it was a legal requirement to quarantine
    dalyboy wrote: »
    But that’s actually incorrect according to Niner.
    It’s 23:59 on the 19th of July

So if your flying out at 23:55 on the 19th of July you are violating our laws of no non essential travel and are subject to a 2k fine (weather it’ll be rigorously enforced is unknown but enough to certainly put people off flying on the 19th)

Im only talking about the 2k fine. Ace has a valid point regarding incompatibility BUT as the DCC is actually already in, how can the fine be valid even now as its already incompatible????
    A few of us said it a few weeks ago. Anyone could see it.

Indeed, but not all of us got lambasted on here.

Odd. More Garda discretion than legislative I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭esposito

acequion wrote: »
    From my experience in Spain there are many hospitals and clinics offering PCR and antigen. When there recently, I found a clinic literally minutes from my appartment so I was able to get the PCR the day before. Pricey at €110 but I think that's roughly the cost of PCR in Spain.

As another poster pointed out, it really depends on where you are. But in Spain, in any case, accessing testing for travel is easier than parts of Ireland. In Kerry, for example, all you have is the Bon Secours hospital in Tralee which only does PCR and only does testing Mon-Sat and only 8-10 am. If somebody knows anywhere else in Kerry which provides better I'd be delighted to hear it? Otherwise we have to travel approx two hours away to Cork or Limerick.

Thanks Acequion, good to know there are lots of choices in Spain for getting a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Norway announced a rollback today. We arent the only country that thinks we can stop the Delta variant

Norway aren’t in the EU and weren’t a rule maker to the DCC to begin with.

Today they announced 23 EEA countries now have no restrictions and no need to quarantine on return, Norwegian citizens are encouraged to holiday in those 23 green list countries. Ireland is Orange and deemed medium risk.

You could in fact say Norway would be a extreme opposite of Ireland, their guidance is almost the exact opposite of what Tony has told us to do.

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Norway aren’t in the EU and weren’t a rule maker to the DCC to begin with.

Today they announced 23 EEA countries now have no restrictions and no need to quarantine on return, Norwegian citizens are encouraged to holiday in those 23 green list countries. Ireland is Orange and deemed medium risk.

You could in fact say Norway would be a extreme opposite of Ireland, their guidance is almost the exact opposite of what Tony has told us to do.

You would argue with a wall. They aren't the exact opposite, they are very similar in that there have delayed full reopening in response to the delta variant.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/norway-delays-reopening-delta-variant-threat-looms-pm-says-2021-07-05/

That's all.

• Advertisement

Mad Benny wrote: »
    "RocDoc Health Check and Randox are providing RT-PCR COVID-19 testing and Rapid Antigentesting at Dublin Airport". It mentions DCC but doesn't specifically say that Randox is participating in the DCC.

https://www.dublinairport.com/docs/default-source/covid-email-planning-guide/dublin-airport-travel-tips.pdf?sfvrsn=f782ec86_6

Yes, we all know that. The issue is the dcc which your link as you say, doesn't clarify

The absolute fools. My partner travels on the morning of the 19th. Fully vacced and heading home to Italy.

I can assume since she has an Italian passport she can simply say "Heading home" as she is not an Irish citizen

If she lives in Italy she could always say that

JayReale wrote: »
    The big question is whether they'll be bothered their arse actually enforcing it or if they'll take the more relaxed / sane approach of recent weeks.

Very weird how it's including the 19th.

Indeed. I guess we will need to wait and see if it's amended or they clarify that the dcc isn't actually happening until the 20th (they could of course bring in the dcc at 10p.m on the 19th which would mean they brought it in on the date they said but too late for any flights.

I wouldn't worry about it too be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Yes, we all know that. The issue is the dcc which your link as you say, doesn't clarify

The SI will authorise testing companies to issue DCCs on behalf of the Minister. I’d be shocked if Randox which processes a huge amount if U.K. & Ireland tests is not on the list. It’s organisation and tech was very good in my experience and they have shown themselves to flex for market need.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,412 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is the UK common Travel Area part of the EU green cert ?

I can imagine our lot enforcing some ridiculous rules like big fines and PCR tests to try and stop non essential Travel to the UK from Ireland

I'll be thinking strongly of heading over for a few concerts and stuff after the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Is the UK common Travel Area part of the EU green cert ?

I can imagine our lot enforcing some ridiculous rules like big fines and PCR tests to try and stop non essential Travel to the UK from Ireland

I'll be thinking strongly of heading over for a few concerts and stuff after the summer

It's a third country. The rules surrounding travel to a 3rd country apply.

See below

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1398321982278619136?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

See below

That’s interesting so “recovered” status is good enough for EU but for an EU (eg Irish) resident who has recovered from covid and is in possession of a DCC stating same would be required to have a PCR the home isolation before a further test for release.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,412 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

See below

I'm lost

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭zvone

My flight is booked for the morning of the 19th. I don't expect to encounter any guards but I guess I better have some crap made up in advance just in case

Same here. My flight is at 7 am to Malaga, now I thinking to call some dentist im Malaga to make appointment. I don't want to start holidays with 2000 euro fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I'm off to Lanzarote again on Thursday.
    Won't need to test or quarantine going over there as I'll be considered fully vaccinated by then.

As I come back before the 19th/20th I'll be expected to get a PCR test and isolate when I get back.
    Obviously I'll not be isolating but can I get away without a PCR test coming home considering I have my Irish vaccine card or would Ryanair still refuse me?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

You would argue with a wall. They aren't the exact opposite, they are very similar in that there have delayed full reopening in response to the delta variant.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/norway-delays-reopening-delta-variant-threat-looms-pm-says-2021-07-05/

That's all.

This is a thread about travel.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/norway-lifts-quarantine-requirements-for-23-european-countries/

You spin, deflect and just make stuff up to promote your agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dash8q400

That's all.

Nothing mentioned in that article about "rolling back" on travel to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I'm lost

Try this, it says it's up to date as of today. Send fairly well laid out and lots of links

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/coronavirus/general-covid-19-travel-advisory/

There's a link to travel page with all the countries in a drop down that tell you what you need at the moment.

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/

• Registered Users Posts: 16 chebas

trip report , tried to leave on Wednesday 30th, ryanair wouldn't let me on because PCR was at 10am and not at 1pm as it should've been. Horrible situation separating families etc...

No guards at airport (7:30 am, fasttrack, no checkpoint in T1 , think there was one in T2 in departures)

Antigen then next day, tried again on friday 2nd, got on no probs, they were only checking the QR code you get to travel to spain, nobody checked my test in Dublin or Spain (yes pissed off), same time, same as above relating to guards etc absolutely no issues.

coming back today 5th, did PCR in Spain on Saturday 3rd no issues, asked immigration where we where, if we had been somewhere else checked locator forms and PCR tests, all very polite and I would even venture nice agent.

All successful, never asked my dentist appointment letter (which I had to change as my appointment was on Wednesday and monday morning)

Airport the three times (eye roll) was not even half empty. It was VERY empty, mix of families and other travelers.

Inside T1 few store open, wh smiths, duty free, boots, dixons, butles and marquette for food all really good and socially distanced etc, didn't check burger king upstairs as it was early but I assume it was open. On the ryanair gates, few shops are open.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Mr.S wrote: »
    Is there any details of how our DCC will be issued or function?

Are they planning a standalone app or piggyback on the COVID tracker app like other countries?

Nope nothing yet. Government website was updated there last week with the below.

"Teams across the public service are working together to deliver the EU Digital COVID Certificate in Ireland and you will be clearly notified of the steps needed to access the EU Digital COVID Certificate soon"

However everyone can be and by the sounds of it will be given the hard copy of the cert as well. Handy to have as a backup in my view, a few too many times I've had close calls with the battery & having my boarding pass on the phone. At least if I've a paper copy as well it's one less thing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

I'm off to Lanzarote again on Thursday.
    Won't need to test or quarantine going over there as I'll be considered fully vaccinated by then.

As I come back before the 19th/20th I'll be expected to get a PCR test and isolate when I get back.
    Obviously I'll not be isolating but can I get away without a PCR test coming home considering I have my Irish vaccine card or would Ryanair still refuse me?.

Flight to Belfast and you're all sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭normanoffside

TefalBrain wrote: »

Flight to Belfast and you're all sorted.

They’re requiring PCR coming from Belfast and then on the way back you have to get tested before travel and buy a load of tests as it’s on their amber list.
    Actually a lot more complicated to and from Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

I just watched a news article on RTE YouTube channel regarding air travel from the 19th. They said that "to speed up the flow of people" through the airport, there will be no more carry on luggage. All luggage will have to be checked in. Surely this isnt correct? That's lunacy!
    I travel to the UK regularly outside of Covid to visit my family. I usually rock up at the airport with one carry on bag. I go through the doors, straight upstairs, through departures, down to the gate and away. At the other end I get off the plane and walk straight out the doors. The same vice versa.
    If this is true, I will now get in the doors, queue to get the tag for the bag. Then queue to put the bag on the conveyor. Then queue in departures. Then stand around with everyone else to get my bag off the parasol.
    One queue each way will become 4 queues each way.
    Surely they can't be this stupid? Surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 adubintipp2

I wonder have they confused it with the recent Aer Lingus carry on change - need to buy priority boarding unless you are concierge level

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/new-fee-to-bring-carry-on-bag-on-board-aer-lingus-flights-1143725.html

I just watched a news article on RTE YouTube channel regarding air travel from the 19th. They said that "to speed up the flow of people" through the airport, there will be no more carry on luggage. All luggage will have to be checked in. Surely this isnt correct? That's lunacy!
    I travel to the UK regularly outside of Covid to visit my family. I usually rock up at the airport with one carry on bag. I go through the doors, straight upstairs, through departures, down to the gate and away. At the other end I get off the plane and walk straight out the doors. The same vice versa.
    If this is true, I will now get in the doors, queue to get the tag for the bag. Then queue to put the bag on the conveyor. Then queue in departures. Then stand around with everyone else to get my bag off the parasol.
    One queue each way will become 4 queues each way.
    Surely they can't be this stupid? Surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

I wonder have they confused it with the recent Aer Lingus carry on change - need to buy priority boarding unless you are concierge level

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/new-fee-to-bring-carry-on-bag-on-board-aer-lingus-flights-1143725.html

Could be, RTE reported it in a way that seemed it applied to all passengers.

Advertisement