Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I just watched a news article on RTE YouTube channel regarding air travel from the 19th. They said that "to speed up the flow of people" through the airport, there will be no more carry on luggage. All luggage will have to be checked in. Surely this isnt correct? That's lunacy!
    I travel to the UK regularly outside of Covid to visit my family. I usually rock up at the airport with one carry on bag. I go through the doors, straight upstairs, through departures, down to the gate and away. At the other end I get off the plane and walk straight out the doors. The same vice versa.
    If this is true, I will now get in the doors, queue to get the tag for the bag. Then queue to put the bag on the conveyor. Then queue in departures. Then stand around with everyone else to get my bag off the parasol.
    One queue each way will become 4 queues each way.
    Surely they can't be this stupid? Surely?

Depends on what airline you fly with. Aerlingus have embraced the Ryanair model of charging for cabin baggage now

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

I really dont get the sudden expectation of huge airport queues.

Scan boarding pass (as normal) scan QR code. Done

That's it, 5 second extra? Unless the airport staff have dial up rather than broadband...

Now there may be queues if the airport/airlines have the same number of staff working in August 2021 as they had in April 2021, that's a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I wonder have they confused it with the recent Aer Lingus carry on change - need to buy priority boarding unless you are concierge level

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/new-fee-to-bring-carry-on-bag-on-board-aer-lingus-flights-1143725.html

I am just thinking ahead here but I can imagine this is going to annoy quite a lot of the retailers at the airport. Duty free, gift shops, camera supply shops etc. Its just going to put people off buying anything at the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Depends on what airline you fly with. Aerlingus have embraced the Ryanair model of charging for cabin baggage now

Its really charging for access to the overhead bins. A backpack that fits under the seat infront of you is still free, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Mr.S wrote: »
    Social distancing for queues = longer queues, presumably.

Boarding planes is definitely slower anyway. Security I can see being longer when it’s busy, think of how packed t1 gets - now add in social distancing!

All true but we are still talking about a fraction of the numbers compared to August 2019 surely.

Most of us on here are desperate to travel but there are a good number that will give it a pass for one more year.

On a related note I have lost count of the number of times I have corrected people at work and elsewhere who mistakenly believe that a PCR cost is €120 and is required for both inbound and out bound travel.

They are in complete shock when I tell them that most countries accept antigen at c. €40 a pop

The level of disinformation will feed into far lower levels of travel this Summer IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭eltonyio

Feria40 wrote: »
    All true but we are still talking about a fraction of the numbers compared to August 2019 surely.

Most of us on here are desperate to travel but there are a good number that will give it a pass for one more year.

On a related note I have lost count of the number of times I have corrected people at work and elsewhere who mistakenly believe that a PCR cost is €120 and is required for both inbound and out bound travel.

They are in complete shock when I tell them that most countries accept antigen at c. €40 a pop

The level of disinformation will feed into far lower levels of travel this Summer IMO

Many do not even need an antigen, which can also be got for as low as €29.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Don’t bother correcting them - quieter airport for the rest of us!

Until the airlines cancel the flights due to low demand!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Trying to pull the trigger on a trip to the UK on the 23rd of July for around 2 nights.

Ryanair Guidance

For passengers arriving into Ireland from overseas/transiting through an Irish port/airport, you must have a negative/‘not detected’ result from a pre-departure C-19 Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) test carried out no more than 72 hours before arrival in Ireland. Antigen/other test types do not meet the requirements (No other COVID test will be accepted).

I understand on the UK side I do not need any tests.

When I am travelling back. Do I need a PCR test?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Social distancing for queues = longer queues, presumably.Boarding planes is definitely slower anyway. Security I can see being longer when it’s busy, think of how packed t1 gets - now add in social distancing!

Social distance in a queue when you have to sit shoulder to shoulder in the aircraft cabin! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Trying to pull the trigger on a trip to the UK on the 23rd of July for around 2 nights.

Ryanair Guidance

For passengers arriving into Ireland from overseas/transiting through an Irish port/airport, you must have a negative/‘not detected’ result from a pre-departure C-19 Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) test carried out no more than 72 hours before arrival in Ireland. Antigen/other test types do not meet the requirements (No other COVID test will be accepted).

I understand on the UK side I do not need any tests.

When I am travelling back. Do I need a PCR test?

If its the UK, very probably yes. Also home-quarantine too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

If its the UK, very probably yes. Also home-quarantine too.

Think I have figured it out. Its a joke really. Its annoyed me so much that I might still go out of spite.

In theory could I get this in Ireland if I was traveling for 48 hours?

you must have a negative/‘not detected’ result from a pre-departure C-19 Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) test carried out no more than 72 hours before arrival in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

I really dont get the sudden expectation of huge airport queues.

Scan boarding pass (as normal) scan QR code. Done

That's it, 5 second extra? Unless the airport staff have dial up rather than broadband...

Now there may be queues if the airport/airlines have the same number of staff working in August 2021 as they had in April 2021, that's a different story

In other countries they have been making people get their documents approved at the check in desks even if you checked in online. Seems silly and Ryanair do it in the queue but there it is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Two questions if anyone can help.

1. I had booked to go to Spain on 16th July, was about to move it to 19th July but having discovered that crazy fine is still in place then and not wanting to have to make up some bullshyt story to a Gard, unlikely and all that they'll be checking then, I've finally decided to go for Friday 23rd. On Friday 23rd I'll be exactly 13 days after my second astra shot. Will that get me into Spain without a test? I don't think so, I think it's 15 days so am asking in hope rather than expectation. Which brings me to:

2. While Randox have a number of centres around the country it seems that only the one in Dublin airport does antigen. All the others are PCR. Does anyone know if that is really the case given that antigen is good now for several countries? I've emailed them to ask but thought I'd ask here too as someone might know. It's galling to have to pay double for a PCR just two days before being considered fully vaccinated. People might advise me to wait but the 23rd is already very late for me. Thanks to anyone with info.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Government TD on The Tonight Show said if he was at home watching the show he would be confident about booking a holiday for July 19th, and the date is not shifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

spockety wrote: »
    Government TD on The Tonight Show said if he was at home watching the show he would be confident about booking a holiday for July 19th, and the date is not shifting.

And yet there’s a two grand fine for going to the airport on the 19th July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

acequion wrote: »

1. I had booked to go to Spain on 16th July, was about to move it to 19th July but having discovered that crazy fine is still in place then and not wanting to have to make up some bullshyt story to a Gard, unlikely and all that they'll be checking then, I've finally decided to go for Friday 23rd. On Friday 23rd I'll be exactly 13 days after my second astra shot. Will that get me into Spain without a test? I don't think so, I think it's 15 days so am asking in hope rather than expectation. Which brings me to:

2. While Randox have a number of centres around the country it seems that only the one in Dublin airport does antigen. All the others are PCR. Does anyone know if that is really the case given that antigen is good now for several countries? I've emailed them to ask but thought I'd ask here too as someone might know. It's galling to have to pay double for a PCR just two days before being considered fully vaccinated. People might advise me to wait but the 23rd is already very late for me. Thanks to anyone with info.

Some countries only need 1 vaccine on the cert for entry, not double vax

Also some will accept your HSE vaxx card

It's hard to nail down info though tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Zebra3 wrote: »
    And yet there’s a two grand fine for going to the airport on the 19th July.

Let's be honest, that's probably a typo or perhaps more stupidity but thankfully the Guards on the ground in this country, despite the best efforts of their management, are generally fair and evenhanded and, by all accounts here, have by and large shown that to be the case at Dublin airport.

If this overlap comes to pass nobody will be fined on that day, it wouldn't stand up in court

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Even if fully vaxed?

Afaik it’s home quarantine + PCR after 5 days if vaxxed- changes so much it’s hard to keep up!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

Afaik it’s home quarantine + PCR after 5 days if vaxxed- changes so much it’s hard to keep up!

That's if there's an emergency brake applied to UK. If no brake and fully vaccinated come in and out of the country as you please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

That's if there's an emergency brake applied to UK. If no brake and fully vaccinated come in and out of the country as you please

So our current UK specific rule gets replaced by the standard EU rules? Makes sense I guess.

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    The SI will authorise testing companies to issue DCCs on behalf of the Minister. I’d be shocked if Randox which processes a huge amount if U.K. & Ireland tests is not on the list. It’s organisation and tech was very good in my experience and they have shown themselves to flex for market need.

I agree. Wasn't what the other user linked to though

Randox do pcr in t2 carpark center

• Registered Users Posts: 19,756 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They’re requiring PCR coming from Belfast and then on the way back you have to get tested before travel and buy a load of tests as it’s on their amber list.
    Actually a lot more complicated to and from Belfast.

Haha. Just noticed your signature. Can't remember ever interacting with you but find it funny that I made enough of an impression somewhere for you to advertise it on every single post you make on this site. How precious would one have to be to have that as a signature :pac:

Ironically you won't even see this reply

TefalBrain wrote: »

Flight to Belfast and you're all sorted.

Terrible advise.

People will get shafted listening to you

It's a third country. The rules surrounding travel to a 3rd country apply.

See below

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1398321982278619136?s=19

What's the point in getting the antigen then?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,756 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

dalyboy wrote: »
    Hellrazer wrote: »
    In all fairness Donnelly didnt know how many days were in a month a while back - how can you expect him to know what time one day ends and the next begins??

That’s exactly what sprung to mind as I was typing my comment.
    He’d fail junior infants school entrance exams.

Was Donnelly not the fella hyped up when he came on the scene because he had an MBA from an Ivy League University? Harvard or Yale or one of those?

You must have fairly good academic credentials yourself to be so dismissive and condescending of his ;)

What's the point in getting the antigen then?

If unvaccinated and arriving in from anywhere, absolutely no point at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Randox do pcr in t2 carpark center

Thanks for your reply but unfortunately it's not helpful. I made it clear in my post that I'm not looking for PCR, I'm looking for Antigen. And that Randox only do Antigen in Dublin airport, I'm in Kerry. Randox only seem to do PCR in all their other centres.

I imagine they'll surely start doing Antigen as there will be a demand after the 19th but according to their website they're not doing it yet. I mailed and am waiting to have that confirmed.

Thanks for your reply but unfortunately it's not helpful. I made it clear in my post that I'm not looking for PCR, I'm looking for Antigen. And that Randox only do Antigen in Dublin airport, I'm in Kerry. Randox only seem to do PCR in all their other centres.

I imagine they'll surely start doing Antigen as there will be a demand after the 19th but according to their website they're not doing it yet. I mailed and am waiting to have that confirmed.

Ah my bad, I got it the wrong way round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Was Donnelly not the fella hyped up when he came on the scene because he had an MBA from an Ivy League University? Harvard or Yale or one of those?

You must have fairly good academic credentials yourself to be so dismissive and condescending of his ;)

I’m neither dismissive nor condescending, it’s an actual fact that the MBA Harvard graduate mixed up trivial days and months of the year that my junior infants son knew last year.
    =
    Your second paragraphs a red herring.

Advertisement