Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

ahbell wrote: »
    As an Irish citizen who has been vaccinated by the NHS I'm a little confused reading this CitizensInformation article

It sounds like if I fly into Ireland from an EU country they will not accept my NHS vaccination as it's not on the EUDCC and I will need to show proof of PCR test, but if I fly into Ireland from a non-EU country ie UK/USA they will accept the NHS vaccination certificate and no testing is required. Seems daft that there's tighter restrictions on flying within the EU?

That's the gist I got, but I think that's more granular than what was intended.. (or possibly was intended for arse covering)

I'm hoping it will be a case of, if entering Ireland from where ever, if vaccinated, you show your cert on the NHS app and are waved through and the granularity is only looked at (departure destination, PCR test etc...) if you are unvaccinated...

Obviously from EU countries and the UK I mean, and possibly the US if they are on the OK list...

But it's still all up in the air until there is a definite announcement about the CTA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

rajqo wrote: »
    if someone can access your post and open that letter, they can take a picture of it and send it to you. you can then scan it with your covid app to have it stored in your phone

app available here:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.green_pass

That app doesn't look very official.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Tazz T wrote: »
    That app doesn't look very official.

it clearly states it is not a government app, its an app for storing QR codes.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    How do unvaccinated people (eg Teens) get the DCC to show negative Test results? Is it when they actually get the results of the Test?

"The EU COVID Certificate (previously called the Digital Green Certificate) will help citizens move freely and safely within the EU during the COVID-19 pandemic.

It is proof that you have either:

Been vaccinated against COVID-19;
    Received a negative test result; or
    Recovered from COVID-19 in the last 6 months

Being vaccinated will not be a pre-condition to travel."

From the same website -

"From 19 July 2021, Ireland plans to operate the EU Digital COVID Certificate (DCC) for travel originating within the EU and EEA.
    These plans are subject to the public health advice on that date.

This page is an overview of the DCC and the proposed easing of travel restrictions from 19 July 2021, for people arriving into Ireland from within and outside the EU."

It is only talking about people *arriving into Ireland*.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/digital_covid_certificate.html#

No one knows.

Nphet are still advising no one unvaccinated should travel. AFAIK the gov was to make a call on that today.

With two weeks left to go, you'd think there'd be some clarity, but as usual...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

SusanC10 wrote: »
    How do unvaccinated people (eg Teens) get the DCC to show negative Test results? Is it when they actually get the results of the Test?
    As I understand it, the simplest approach is for the certificate issued by the private test provider to contain a DCC-compatible QR code which "guarantees" that the details on the cert (name etc) haven't been tampered with.

This is the part the govt are saying they are struggling with, although they don't say why.

I 'm guessing it's a bit like the way SSL certificates work on websites, with each country being a certificate authority and then test providers acting as a second tier capable of generating their own signed QR codes. I should really research the specs though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 adubintipp2

plodder wrote: »
    I can't see why they wouldn't be providing them in digital form also. People are bound to lose the paper certs; the dog will eat it etc etc.

Latest on Twitter is that you will get it electronically if you were vaccinated by the HSE, but by post if your GP vaccinated you. Makes some sense, my GP wouldn’t necessarily have my email address, but would know my postal address.

https://twitter.com/RTENewsPaulC/status/1412342359703044096?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 17 northcider85

dashoonage wrote: »
    it clearly states it is not a government app, its an app for storing QR codes.

There's no official EC developed DCC app?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Latest on Twitter is that you will get it electronically if you were vaccinated by the HSE, but by post if your GP vaccinated you. Makes some sense, my GP wouldn’t necessarily have my email address, but would know my postal address.

Did anyone register with their email address?

Was just phone number and then they use that to identify you on the system, that or the PPS number, none of which are linked to email..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,756 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Hellrazer wrote: »
    So he has a degree from UCD in mechanical engineering - which I assume would require some knowledge of numeracy, a masters in Public administration and yet he

1.Doesnt know the number of days in a month.
    2. Doesn't know what time one day finishes and the next one starts.

This people is what is running our health service. This is whats making life and death decisions on a daily basis. This is what is implementing NPHETs recommendations.....as a country we are rightly ****ed and will be lucky to ever recover from this pandemic for another decade.God help us/

I suppose it depends on your own personal experiences as to what you think is important or what you'd expect. Believe it or not, I've never been asked in an interview to immediately reel off the number of days in any given month! I've also never asked it when I was on the other side of the interview table.

It would seem a bit strange to me that with all of the things that the man is responsible for, and hence all of the possible things that you might have to complain about, that you'd pick him making a mistake on the number of days in a month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I guess Randox will provide the QR code for those getting the cert via negative PCR tests?

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Was just phone number and then they use that to identify you on the system, that or the PPS number, none of which are linked to email..

I'm fairly sure that I had to input my email address when I was registering

Edit: Just checked and I have an email from their system there

The HSE has all our vaccination details on a database. The cert MUST be available in a paper format for those that want it but there should still be an app released and a way to obtain your code digitally.

But...............Ireland where everything is last century tech and obsolete ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The HSE has all our vaccination details on a database. The cert MUST be available in a paper format for those that want it but there should still be an app released and a way to obtain your code digitally.

But...............Ireland where everything is last century tech and obsolete ideas

There's nothing wrong with a paper cert with a QR code on it. It's no more "obsolete" or "last century" than a paper passport with a chip it in.

Given the consequences of arriving in a country with no cert, I'd rather have a paper copy as backup which I'll keep with or in my passport.

Lumen wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with a paper cert with a QR code on it. It's no more "obsolete" or "last century" than a paper passport with a chip it in.

Given the consequences of arriving in a country with no cert, I'd rather have a paper copy as backup which I'll keep with or in my passport.

I'd second having a paper copy. Your phone could go on the blink unexpectedly. Or even just run out of battery

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yeah I'll upload it onto my phone but I'd always carry the paper copy when travelling just incase, never know when it might be needed, phone goes on the blink, smashed screen etc

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I suppose it depends on your own personal experiences as to what you think is important or what you'd expect. Believe it or not, I've never been asked in an interview to immediately reel off the number of days in any given month! I've also never asked it when I was on the other side of the interview table.

Ive never been asked either - but then again Ive never interviewed for the position of health minister.

It would seem a bit strange to me that with all of the things that the man is responsible for, and hence all of the possible things that you might have to complain about, that you'd pick him making a mistake on the number of days in a month.

Ah come on Donald- Hes the minister in charge of health and he didnt know how many days were in a month or what time a day changes over.

That to me stinks of either stupidity or complete and utter incompetence.

Im not picking on him over that - its kind of everything he does that just grates on me but if a senior politician overseeing the countries health cant carry out minor duties without messing them up how can the population trust him with the bigger issues?

Its not about days in the month or times of the day - its about not showing his incompetence to the public - it doesnt instill confidence in him as a health minister. Im sure one of his "secretaries" could have spotted both of these errors before he did it.

It reminds of Van Halen and the brown M&Ms - they asked that there be no brown m&ms in their bowl backstage and if there was then they cancelled the concert - people thought they were just being little pre-madonnas when in reality the same people that were responsible for the m&ms were also responsible for setting up their high wires for flying over the stage. If they couldnt get the m&ms right how could they get the dangerous high wires right?

Same with Donnelly - if he cant get the small things right - how can we trust him with bigger issues??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭plodder

Yes, it does make sense as the first step, but eventually everyone will need an electronic version. I presume the email just contains a PDF that you can print or store it in an electronic wallet of some kind.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Ive never been asked either - but then again Ive never interviewed for the position of health minister.

Ah come on Donald- Hes the minister in charge of health and he didnt know how many days were in a month or what time a day changes over.

That to me stinks of either stupidity or complete and utter incompetence.

Im not picking on him over that - its kind of everything he does that just grates on me but if a senior politician overseeing the countries health cant carry out minor duties without messing them up how can the population trust him with the bigger issues?

Its not about days in the month or times of the day - its about not showing his incompetence to the public - it doesnt instill confidence in him as a health minister. Im sure one of his "secretaries" could have spotted both of these errors before he did it.

It reminds of Van Halen and the brown M&Ms - they asked that there be no brown m&ms in their bowl backstage and if there was then they cancelled the concert - people thought they were just being little pre-madonnas when in reality the same people that were responsible for the m&ms were also responsible for setting up their high wires for flying over the stage. If they couldnt get the m&ms right how could they get the dangerous high wires right?

Same with Donnelly - if he cant get the small things right - how can we trust him with bigger issues??

I'm not being smart but if I had fellas in setting up high wires for me to fly on, I wouldn't want to be distracting them and making them fret over M&Ms. If Donnelly is a minister I want him to do that job and I don't care whether he can dance or parallel park or anything else. I reckon there is plenty of scope to criticise him on his actual job decisions. I don't think it is a job that you would ever be able to keep everyone happy.

BTW, if you asked me how many days are in a random month I'd likely have to quickly do the little rhyme in my head to check - "thirty days has ...". I'd imagine that most people are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 adubintipp2

Tenzor07 wrote: »

I just checked my inbox, and they verified my email at the time of registration - they linked it to your phone (you verified the email with a 5 digit code from your phone) and they mostly used the phone to identify you. But your email was a required field when registering, and was used each time you logged onto the portal.

If you check your inbox you should see a registration email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

rajqo wrote: »
    if someone can access your post and open that letter, they can take a picture of it and send it to you. you can then scan it with your covid app to have it stored in your phone

app available here:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.green_pass

Is that a legit app?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Ellie1988 wrote: »
    Would also like to know this specifically for portugal and spain! But hard to get info. What I do know is that it seems to vary country to country and is between 7 to 14 days

It says here that it's 14 days after the second dose for all vaccines [ie Spain]
    https://www.spth.gob.es/info-pcr

I'm in that situation so I've been researching it. I'll be travelling between 10-13 days after my second shot of astra so I will have to fork out for a test. I'll then be in Spain for a good 3-4 weeks and will be very annoyed if I can't access my cert to get back. But I'd be amazed if we didn't have electronic access, this sending it in the post really is bonkers!

Hold up Lumen, now please show me where in my post I gave out about the option of a paper format?

Obsolete and last century is posting thousands of pages to people that COULD and SHOULD be able to download an app and print the paper version themselves. Ill probable opt for both but to be told "Sorry buddy, only a letter in the post" is absolutely obsolete and last century

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I'm not being smart but if I had fellas in setting up high wires for me to fly on, I wouldn't want to be distracting them and making them fret over M&Ms. If Donnelly is a minister I want him to do that job and I don't care whether he can dance or parallel park or anything else. I reckon there is plenty of scope to criticise him on his actual job decisions. I don't think it is a job that you would ever be able to keep everyone happy.

I get you and Im trying to get my point across- I differ from you in that Id expect someone to be able to carry out small duties before trusting them with a bigger task - I do the same with my own staff.

BTW, if you asked me how many days are in a random month I'd likely have to quickly do the little rhyme in my head to check - "thirty days has ...". I'd imagine that most people are the same.

Its ok - my 6 year old niece was able to work it out - Maybe Donnelly never learned that rhyme??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Norway announced a rollback today. We arent the only country that thinks we can stop the Delta variant

Norway isn’t in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

Airport update 6/7

Time 10:30-11am

Arrived via bus so no issues but Garda checkpoints at underpass of T2 ( if you are going to T1 dropoff/ parking ) and at setdown of T2 . I had fast track but did notice a Garda on duty at the booth before security at T1 .....so full house with regard to Garda checkpoints today.
    Travelling for work before anyone jumps on me.
    Twitter saying Donnelly extend 2K fine until 19/7 with emergency powers ?? Can anyone confirm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Mr.S wrote: »
    I mean in this case, being part of the EEA is essentially the same.

From a border management perspective they have greater flexibility to apply restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

a clanger wrote: »
    Airport update 6/7

Time 10:30-11am

Arrived via bus so no issues but Garda checkpoints at underpass of T2 ( if you are going to T1 dropoff/ parking ) and at setdown of T2 . I had fast track but did notice a Garda on duty at the booth before security at T1 .....so full house with regard to Garda checkpoints today.
    Travelling for work before anyone jumps on me.
    Twitter saying Donnelly extend 2K fine until 19/7 with emergency powers ?? Can anyone confirm

As an aside why would anyone jump on you if you are only travelling on holiday?

Going on holiday and getting away from the doom and gloom here is essential for mental health imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭VG31

mmclo wrote: »
    Is that a legit app?

Not it's not. I personally wouldn't use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Imagine with less than 2 weeks to go before this we are getting drip fed info from some lad on Twitter :rolleyes:

This will be a monumental cock up mark my words.

Advertisement