Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

I was commenting on two concerns...

The need for a PCR when returning to Ireland even if you have a DCC

And the fact that Ireland are seemingly doing their best to delay EVERYTHNG... Seemingly that they are "something special and different to the rest of the EU"

Like has been mentioned numerous times on this thread it's all about causing confusion and stress so people throw the towel in and don't travel. Tomorrow the advice will be different and a different minister will come out with another interpretation. It's a coordinated campaign and that's fairly obvious. They have hell bent on getting to the return of schools before this get's rolled out properly to prevent families in particular travelling.

Fully vaccinated will be more than likely fine but they DON'T want others travelling no matter what they are saying before start of September imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Like has been mentioned numerous times on this thread it's all about causing confusion and stress so people throw the towel in and don't travel. Tomorrow the advice will be different and a different minister will come out with another interpretation. It's a coordinated campaign and that's fairly obvious. They have hell bent on getting to the return of schools before this get's rolled out properly to prevent families in particular travelling.

Fully vaccinated will be more than likely fine but they DON'T want others travelling no matter what they are saying before start of September imo.

I agree with this tbh. The Government/NPHET don't want people to travel and they want to cause enough uncertainty so that people including families with kids will choose not to travel. But there is a difference between that and having fines like there are right now and only partially enacting the EU DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I agree with this tbh. The Government/NPHET don't want people to travel and they want to cause enough uncertainty so that people including families with kids will choose not to travel. But there is a difference between that and having fines like there are right now and only partially enacting the EU DCC.

As if things weren't bad enough... even the improvements we are seeing are being jaded by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Tazz T wrote: »
    LV saying that even with a DCC those that have recovered from Covid will need a PCR on return to Ireland. And government advice is that those who are not vaccinated (ie: kids) should not travel. So again, Irish gov only enacting certain elements of the DCC. Whether they enforce this in any way...

Also, good opportunity for McConkey to throw in a bit of scaremongerging with 'vaccine resistant variant as a result of international travel could wipe out our vaccine bonus.'

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0706/1233354-covid-update/?fbclid=IwAR1eHln_ic47nwZU7p5oqHQ61NJo_V7ev3Tk2ZewJv0NBIVrMpAu_cjFQsE

Just reading that again, that could mean the negative test of when they recovered. Badly written if so.

He's just trying to cause confusion. Deliberately. Instead of helping out families - they'd prefer to screw them over and help them lose money on holidays postponed from last year. As it stands, the flights will go whether the person is partially or fully vaccinated and the punter stands to lose out if they listen to our shower in the Dáil.

SusanC10 wrote: »

The fines are mostly there to scare people from even going to the airport, you'll find none have been handed out in the last few weeks but don't expect that to make the 6 o clock news on RTE as it doesn't fit the agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'm sure LV's advice applies to teenagers at least, so in effect he's saying families shouldn't travel. The point is there is still no clarity but the goalposts are moving again. Right now, return to Ireland requires PCRs for everyone except those that are vaccinated and those that aren't are 'strongly advised' not to travel. I'm wouldn't be surprised to see further restrictions applied, when all the details are announced (on the 25th July, probably at this stage).

Does anyone really give a sh;te what Holohan 'says' or 'advises'?

Unless they introduce new legislation to prevent me and my family travelling, we'll be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing ...
    It's been always like that all the time, now it just got much worse. I think, LV does not know himself what he's talking about.
    They don't deserve to be in government, all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Does anyone really give a sh;te what Holohan 'says' or 'advises'?

Unless they introduce new legislation to prevent me and my family travelling, we'll be going.

This is it. There is no clarity on what the legislation will be.

And no reporter on RTE or anywhere else seems to want to ask the right questions, less than two weeks before 19th. No one has mentioned the fine, its extension (to the 20th), or any of the finer details. The first question that needs to be asked is 'when will we know how this is all going to work'.

This is it. There is no clarity on what the legislation will be.

And no reporter on RTE or anywhere else seems to want to ask the right questions, less than two weeks before 19th. No one has mentioned the fine, its extension (to the 20th), or any of the finer details. The first question that needs to be asked is 'when will we know how this is all going to work'.

Don't hold your breath on Primetime doing a special on the farcical rollout of this. They are too busy working on the next story of doom and gloom with covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭VonLuck

What will be the requirement to allow you to fly post July 19th? Do you need to wait two weeks after the Az shot and one week after Pfizer to be able to get on a plane, or is it from the day you get the second shot you're sorted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

VonLuck wrote: »
    What will be the requirement to allow you to fly post July 19th? Do you need to wait two weeks after the Az shot and one week after Pfizer to be able to get on a plane, or is it from the day you get the second shot you're sorted?

It depends on where you are going.
    Greece/France for example consider 2 weeks after 2nd shot to be fully vaccinated

Is someone from RTE reading this thread? They've just updated the section in that news piece on stating that 'it is strongly advised that unvaccinated do not travel'.

It now reads

'Mr Varadkar said the public health advice on this is very strong - those who are not fully vaccinated or have not recovered from Covid should avoid international travel [before 19 July].'

Great. Does that now mean that vaccinated people can travel before 19th July?

Talk about digging a hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,754 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

patscott27 wrote: »
    I used to have a teacher who would often repeat that if brains were made out of chocolate you wouldn't have enough to fill a smartie. Sometimes I wonder about how smart Donnelly actually is.

I'd be confident enough that he'd be smart enough to pass the other posters hypothetical junior infants entrance exam.

A person can be smart at one thing and not have it transfer to another area. The mathematical genius might be no good at managing people, or making decisions where grey areas exist. Or vice-versa. But we can assess his academic ability on his academic credentials which are publicly known. So not considering other things such as ability to parallel park etc. It is his academic ability which the poster referred to that I responded to.

A poster above said he had a degree in mechanical engineering (albeit from UCD but ignore that blemish for now). Then some Masters from an Ivy League in the US. And also worked as a management consultant with a prestigious company. Those things don't make him a genius but I'd say it comfortably puts him ahead of the majority of posters in terms of academic and employment achievements.

I'd be confident enough that he'd be smart enough to pass the other posters hypothetical junior infants entrance exam.

A person can be smart at one thing and not have it transfer to another area. The mathematical genius might be no good at managing people, or making decisions where grey areas exist. Or vice-versa. But we can assess his academic ability on his academic credentials which are publicly known. So not considering other things such as ability to parallel park etc. It is his academic ability which the poster referred to that I responded to.

A poster above said he had a degree in mechanical engineering (albeit from UCD but ignore that blemish for now). Then some Masters from an Ivy League in the US. And also worked as a management consultant with a prestigious company. Those things don't make him a genius but I'd say it comfortably puts him ahead of the majority of posters in terms of academic and employment achievements.

The smart people recite the rythm about the days of the month

The genuises use their knuckles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

What I find most telling is the lack of testing facilities. I've already said it here that you won't find a facility for antigen testing within 100 km of Tralee despite Kerry having an international airport with flights soon returning to Spain, Portugal, Germany, all of which accept antigen. Google it and you find nothing, it's as if the service isn't necessary and why?? Because people are not supposed to be travelling. People are meant to staycation. Ask anybody if they'd know where you'd get antigen and they look at you vaguely, maybe even suspiciously as if you were looking for something dodgy. Jesus wept :rolleyes: The only service down here is the Bons Tralee. PCR only, Mon-Sat only and 8.30-10.30 only. I rang them and asked if with the resumption of travel they were considering starting antigen and I was told flat out no. So where does that leave the Kerry mammy and daddy and two teenage kids? Most likely staycationing cos it's too much hassle and expense to travel. And on a day like today here, 14C and pyssing drizzle all day I couldn't think of anything more miserable, yet that's what they want us all doing!

So to conclude, I'd be wary of everyone getting their cert good to go before the 19th.We need to see that to believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,754 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

acequion wrote: »
    What I find most telling is the lack of testing facilities. I've already said it here that you won't find a facility for antigen testing within 100 km of Tralee despite Kerry having an international airport with flights soon returning to Spain, Portugal, Germany, all of which accept antigen. Google it and you find nothing, it's as if the service isn't necessary and why?? Because people are not supposed to be travelling. People are meant to staycation. Ask anybody if they'd know where you'd get antigen and they look at you vaguely, maybe even suspiciously as if you were looking for something dodgy. Jesus wept :rolleyes: The only service down here is the Bons Tralee. PCR only, Mon-Sat only and 8.30-10.30 only. I rang them and asked if with the resumption of travel they were considering starting antigen and I was told flat out no. So where does that leave the Kerry mammy and daddy and two teenage kids? Most likely staycationing cos it's too much hassle and expense to travel. And on a day like today here, 14C and pyssing drizzle all day I couldn't think of anything more miserable, yet that's what they want us all doing!

So to conclude, I'd be wary of everyone getting their cert good to go before the 19th.We need to see that to believe it.

That's some moaning. A private testing company is under no obligation to relocate to your vicinity to suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I would imagine that for a private company it would have to make financial sense for them to set up in Kerry Airport or close by to provide antigen tests. They are not going to bother for a handful of flights.

You could travel to Dublin and get a rapid antigen test for the whole family and be on your way. Our useless government is definitely not going to set an antigen testing centre up for travellers considering the CMO (God's) view on them.

Kerry Airport should be incentivising one of the company to set up rent free to drive passenger numbers through their airport on a temporary basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭a clanger

FYI

Colleague had PCR at Randox Dublin airport yesterday and had result 13 hrs later at 8pm same day

Another colleague Swabbed at 10am Randox Limerick yesterday no result for 30 hours until today at 1600 !! Email for sample checking into lab at 3am !! ....
    Just be aware of possible longer turnaround times if using Limerick. It seems the turnaround times have changed since they moved location

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭embraer170

It's a total disgrace. I am in a village in Germany and have 5 or 6 antigen testing options in a 1km radius. 100% free, and most will issue a certificate valid for travel.

And people wonder why cases in Ireland are so much higher right now.:(

a clanger wrote: »
    FYI

Colleague had PCR at Randox Dublin airport yesterday and had result 13 hrs later at 8pm same day

Another colleague Swabbed at 10am Randox Limerick yesterday no result for 30 hours until today at 1600 !! Email for sample checking into lab at 3am !! ....
    Just be aware of possible longer turnaround times if using Limerick. It seems the turnaround times have changed since they moved location

This is definitely going to become a problem when the number of travellers rise. The capacity won't there to be deliver results quickly enough. And the gov will be just fine with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Finland will allow travellers from abroad who are fully vaccinated, can show they have had Covid-19 within the last six months, or come from a country with a low infection rate to freely enter the country, the country’s government has said.

Other potential visitors will have to take a Covid-19 test before entering Finland or at the border, then self-isolate on arrival and take another test after three days or face a fine, health officials told a news conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

embraer170 wrote: »
    It's a total disgrace. I am in a village in Germany and have 5 or 6 antigen testing options in a 1km radius. 100% free, and most will issue a certificate valid for travel.

And people wonder why cases in Ireland are so much higher right now.:(

Jesus doesn't that just say it all! The very same in Spain, several companies offering a variety of testing. I'm old enough to remember when you couldn't get contraception in Ireland because nobody unmarried was having sex :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Now you can't get testing because nobody is travelling :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

bikeman1 wrote: »
    I would imagine that for a private company it would have to make financial sense for them to set up in Kerry Airport or close by to provide antigen tests. They are not going to bother for a handful of flights.

You could travel to Dublin and get a rapid antigen test for the whole family and be on your way. Our useless government is definitely not going to set an antigen testing centre up for travellers considering the CMO (God's) view on them.

Kerry Airport should be incentivising one of the company to set up rent free to drive passenger numbers through their airport on a temporary basis.

Agree re Kerry airport but they really are struggling to stay afloat especially now with the loss of Stobbart. Their testing facility is The Bons in Tralee which as I already said runs a very limited service. And yes of course it would have to make financial sense for one of the private companies but clearly there isn't enough demand because the propaganda has been so successful. Yes the whole family could fly from Dublin but it's a 4-5 hour drive from parts of Kerry. And the last thing Kerry needs is to lose passengers to Dublin. As a Kerry native but somebody who is very European I massively value our connectivity to Europe on our doorstep. But I really fear for its future.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Spursyiddo

a clanger wrote: »
    FYI

Thanks for the advice, My wife needs PCR next week as she traveling to Portugal and was looking at limerick as its the closest to us.

Any one know if an antigen test needs to be printed to show to the airline or PDF on email will do the job as can get one done at Shannon airport on the way to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

I'm sure LV's advice applies to teenagers at least, so in effect he's saying families shouldn't travel. The point is there is still no clarity but the goalposts are moving again. Right now, return to Ireland requires PCRs for everyone except those that are vaccinated and those that aren't are 'strongly advised' not to travel. I'm wouldn't be surprised to see further restrictions applied, when all the details are announced (on the 25th July, probably at this stage).

I'm wondering about this myself... the updated EU commission recommendation is that minors travelling with vaccinated parents and children under 12 years old should not need PCR or quarantining under DCC:

"To ensure family unity, minors travelling with parents or other accompanying persons should be exempted from quarantine when the accompanying persons do not need to undergo quarantine, for example due to vaccination. Children under 12 years of age should also be exempted from travel-related testing."

From here: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/QANDA_21_2984

I'm hoping Ireland will follow this recommendation post 19th July, since currently PCR testing is still necessary for kids over 6 years old. It would make family holidays very tricky... parents are grand, kids must get 3 PCR tests (one before getting back in to Ireland, 2 while quarantining here!)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Naz_st wrote: »
    I'm wondering about this myself... the updated EU commission recommendation is that minors travelling with vaccinated parents and children under 12 years old should not need PCR or quarantining under DCC:

"To ensure family unity, minors travelling with parents or other accompanying persons should be exempted from quarantine when the accompanying persons do not need to undergo quarantine, for example due to vaccination. Children under 12 years of age should also be exempted from travel-related testing."

From here: https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/QANDA_21_2984

I'm hoping Ireland will follow this recommendation post 19th July, since currently PCR testing is still necessary for kids over 6 years old. It would make family holidays very tricky... parents are grand, kids must get 3 PCR tests (one before getting back in to Ireland, 2 while quarantining here!)

Surely children just get 1 test before they fly back to ireland? Then like adults who use the DCC, upon producing a negative test there is no quarantine?

Also, I don't think the "2 tests while quarantining" is correct today nevermind after the 19th. Thats only for close contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Hello,
    I am going to Spain on 20th jan.
    I will have one phizer jab only by then.
    I am getting a pcr or antigen test day before flight and hope i pass.
    1. Do i need a digital covid cert or will a negative test do.
    2. On the way home i will need to get a pcr test and hope i pass. The people that are fully vaxed can still get covid but the fact they will not need to be tested they will get away with it.
    3. If i get a postive pcr test result in Spain will i be allowed to leave the country. Do they check this or is it only when back in ireland they check.

You either won't be allowed on the plane or in the hopefully unlikely event you get on a plane upon arrival with no test and no DCC you would presumably end up in mandatory hotel quarantine for 2 weeks at a cost of 2 grand.

I'm no cheerleader of MHQ but an adult who tests positive then deliberately gets on a flight full of people who are trusting their fellow passengers are vaxxed or negative? Honestly itd be the best thing for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hello,
    I am going to Spain on 20th jan.
    I will have one phizer jab only by then.
    I am getting a pcr or antigen test day before flight and hope i pass.
    1. Do i need a digital covid cert or will a negative test do.
    2. On the way home i will need to get a pcr test and hope i pass. The people that are fully vaxed can still get covid but the fact they will not need to be tested they will get away with it.
    3. If i get a postive pcr test result in Spain will i be allowed to leave the country. Do they check this or is it only when back in ireland they check.

Re 1, the point is that you use a test provider who issues the results in the form of a DCC. That will be the same on the return except that, under current Irish rules, you’ll need to make sure it’s a PCR test. Look into the insurance options available (Portugal and Spain both have it I believed) to cover the costs of additional accommodation needed if you test positive before your return. The airlines are not supposed to carry you without the necessary certs. By that stage, I would expect them to have proper tech so you should not expect to skate through without the right cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,082 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If i get a postive pcr test result in Spain will i be allowed to leave the country. Do they check this or is it only when back in ireland they check.

You won't be allowed to board. So your best bet is to get to NI once you can pass an antigen test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,082 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What about point 1.

No. You need to be fully vaxxed to get the DCC.

Advertisement