Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Unless we leave the European union we will have no choice but to sign up for it. The government have no other option and have run out of excuses, the rest of Europe has moved on and life is getting back to normal.

PCR tests will NOT be necessary after 19th of July for fully vaccinated.

The government here will ensure fully vaccinated means 2 weeks after the second jab, and for many that will be well past summer hence no one goes away and everyone spends in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Hopefully although I'm holding off booking anything until it's all signed off!

Exactly. While I've already booked, I would not be one bit surprised if the gov threw in a extra couple of restrictions such as tests for everyone coming in, including the fully vaxxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I would also like to add my condolences and best wishes to Skygord.

It's situations like this that anti travel zealots don't seem to care about. It's already traumatic enough when a family member get sick and dies without all of this. I had an elderly relative die of cancer just before the pandemic. All her five children were living abroad but during the months she was dying all took turns to fly home to spend time with her and all were there when she died. How awful it would have been in the pandemic and no doubt many were caught in this situation.

However that said, travel bans and strict restrictions were necessary before vaccines to protect the wider population, though ironically Ireland wasn't that strict. But now at this point our OTT travel restrictions are doing a lot more harm than good and heaping unnecessary extra suffering on so many like this poster.

Just to add to what you said. Many many posters here have sympathised with Skygords experience and loss regardless of opinions or any individual povs.

And yet reading the well written and considered comments posted - he has been able to travel, observe all necessary travel conditions including quarantine etc and not once in his many posts use any of them to label and demean others as "anti travel zealots or even similar as you just have.

You say "this point our OTT travel restrictions are doing a lot more harm than good and heaping unnecessary extra suffering on so many like this poster."

And yet we know that the majority of travel restrictions are being rolled back in mid July. We know that essential travel is permitted. We know that many many countries still have travel restrictions and the provision to change travel destinations based on infection rates etc

Yet the ones who are screaming and roaring in the main appear to include those who openly tell everyone else that they're going on holidays and feq the restrictions and currently public health advice. Oh and those they disagree with are "anti travel zealots".

Are they suggesting that the digital travel cert will only apply to 'green list' countries?

Awful journalism if so, but then it is the Mirror.

Hope it doesn't give our lot ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

gozunda wrote: »
    Just to add to what you said. Many many posters here have sympathised with Skygords experience and loss regardless of opinions or any individual povs.

And yet reading the well written and considered comments posted - he has been able to travel, observe all necessary travel conditions including quarantine etc and not once in his many posts use any of them to label and demean others as "anti travel zealots or even similar as you just have.

You say "this point our OTT travel restrictions are doing a lot more harm than good and heaping unnecessary extra suffering on so many like this poster."

And yet we know that the majority of travel restrictions are being rolled back in mid July. We know that essential travel is permitted. We know that many many countries still have travel restrictions and the provision to change travel destinations based on infection rates etc

Yet the ones who are screaming and roaring in the main appear to include those who openly tell everyone else that they're going on holidays and feq the restrictions and currently public health advice. Oh and those they disagree with are "anti travel zealots".

I find it interesting that you seem to frequently post anti travel, pro strong restrictions on this thread mainly frequented by those frustrated by heavy handed restrictions and wanting /needing to travel. Yet you seem a tad sensitive to said posters posting views very different to your own. And you even go further and assume they're about you. I didn't accuse you personally of being an "anti travel zealot" however if you are that's your affair not mine.

You shouldn't be on this thread if you don't like the pro travel, anti draconian travel restriction posts. You're not going to change people's minds and people are more than entitled to express their frustration and their views that Ireland is very ott and an outlier in Europe. You are of course entitled to express your different viewpoint but why not do that in standalone posts?

I personally don't put posters on ignore, but you and I have very different views so please let's respectfully agree to disagree. In any case I won't be engaging with you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

So currently, can a person resident in the Rep. of Ireland travel anywhere that'll let them in from Belfast Airport with no questions asked yet the same person flying from Dublin would be liable to a 2k fine if its deemed non essential? Seems like the fine would just drive people to use Belfast rather than Dublin and not actually stop the travel from occurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Klonker wrote: »
    So currently, can a person resident in the Rep. of Ireland travel anywhere that'll let them in from Belfast Airport with no questions asked yet the same person flying from Dublin would be liable to a 2k fine if its deemed non essential? Seems like the fine would just drive people to use Belfast rather than Dublin and not actually stop the travel from occurring.

Yes, we are just sending business up north and further destroying our own aviation links now for literally no benefit. Any/all people in the uk can fly to belfast with no test and come to ROI unfettered so these stupid measures arent even preventing the indian variant from taking hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

I have no idea how this article was put together.

Guessing though that's it a bit of a copy and paste job from the UK paper... If not then yes the "journalist" should get sacked

Unless we leave the European union we will have no choice but to sign up for it. The government have no other option and have run out of excuses, the rest of Europe has moved on and life is getting back to normal.

PCR tests will NOT be necessary after 19th of July for fully vaccinated.

None of this is completely accurate. Each country maintains control of ours own health measures. The green certificate was negotiated, not forced on anyone and it contains the ability to deviate.

I have delayed my own return to Ireland until after the 19th in the hope that no pcr is required but I'm not just assuming

• Advertisement

Klonker wrote: »

Belfast has far few destinations and just because you can circumvent a law, doesn't mean it should be abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Feria40 wrote: »
    I have no idea how this article was put together.

Guessing though that's it a bit of a copy and paste job from the UK paper... If not then yes the "journalist" should get sacked

That is appaling. Someone hacked together a uk holiday article and did some kind of find and replace to make it about Irish holidays.

We dont have green, red and amber list and there will be nothing stopping vaccinated Irish people going to portugal or france.

Criminal "journalism"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Belfast has far few destinations and just because you can circumvent a law, doesn't mean it should be abandoned.

I assume people can fly from Belfast to mainland UK and on from there with no problems. Again, connecting flights are a pain and it does make things more difficult but it is a way around the fine. I'm not argueing that it should be abandoned, I'm just pointing out it's a bit flawed, that's all.

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    That is appaling. Someone hacked together a uk holiday article and did some kind of find and replace to make it about Irish holidays.

We dont have green, red and amber list and there will be nothing stopping vaccinated Irish people going to portugal or france.

Criminal "journalism"

https://www.dublinlive.ie/lifestyle/travel/dublin-airport-summer-travel-hopes-20749486

Jesus. DublinLive has copied the Mirror's article almost word for word.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Tazz T wrote: »
    https://www.dublinlive.ie/lifestyle/travel/dublin-airport-summer-travel-hopes-20749486

Dublin live and the mirror are essentially the same thing

Both rags anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Tazz T wrote: »

You could not make it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I find it interesting that you seem to frequently post anti travel, pro strong restrictions on this thread mainly frequented by those frustrated by heavy handed restrictions and wanting /needing to travel. Yet you seem a tad sensitive to said posters posting views very different to your own. And you even go further and assume they're about you. I didn't accuse you personally of being an "anti travel zealot" however if you are that's your affair not mine. You shouldn't be on this thread if you don't like the pro travel, anti draconian travel restriction posts. You're not going to change people's minds and people are more than entitled to express their frustration and their views that Ireland is very ott and an outlier in Europe. You are of course entitled to express your different viewpoint but why not do that in standalone posts? I personally don't put posters on ignore, but you and I have very different views so please let's respectfully agree to disagree. In any case I won't be engaging with you again.

Do I? Well incorrect - I'm not anti travel - but let's stick to the issue of name calling other posters you disagree with - "anti travel zealots"

And lets not pretend its your views on travel etc that are being highlighted or as you now suggest that the main issue is other posters having opinions. Its not. Its name calling those you don't agree with.

But I also see on a "dedicated travel thread" (see very first post if you are in any doubt) you're telling other posters as to who can and cannot post comments about travel because they may have different povs? I presume you do know the thread is not an echo chamber yes?

But just to recap - first you attack other posters (that's plural btw) you don't agree with here by referring to them as 'anti travel zealots" (which is abusive btw)' Then double down on that by having another go at those who point that out?

Yeah well done there...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

At the moment it probably has many more destinations but it has far smaller capacity which cannot accommodate any significant increase in ROI originating passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

None of this is completely accurate. Each country maintains control of ours own health measures. The green certificate was negotiated, not forced on anyone and it contains the ability to deviate.

I have delayed my own return to Ireland until after the 19th in the hope that no pcr is required but I'm not just assuming

We have signed up to the green cert. As it stands no PCR is required after the 19th for fully vaccinated . Its very simple really

Feria40 wrote: »
    You could not make it up :)

Looks like they did just that.

• Advertisement

We have signed up to the green cert. As it stands no PCR is required after the 19th. Its very simple really

I'm sure you know that a PCR test may be required from a person who is neither fully vaccinated nor in the 6 months post COVID recovery period. They will not be done away with entirely and their inclusion in the cert is designed to ensure that youth is not a barrier to travel.

Marcusm wrote: »
    I'm sure you know that a PCR test may be required from a person who is neither fully vaccinated nor in the 6 months post COVID recovery period. They will not be done away with entirely and their inclusion in the cert is designed to ensure that youth is not a barrier to travel.

Yes I am aware of same

Yes I am aware of same

It's just that your post, taken on its own, suggests that there will not be any PCR tests for a Digital Covid Cert which will not be the case; anyone who is unvaccintated (possibly members of every family wishing to travel) will require them.

It's just that your post, taken on its own, suggests that there will not be any PCR tests for a Digital Covid Cert which will not be the case; anyone who is unvaccintated (possibly members of every family wishing to travel) will require them.

Have amended my original post to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

gozunda wrote: »

Previously I shared the pure logistics of my travel to and from the UK. But given the comments based on my posts, I'll share my opinion.

I think the controls on travel that I experienced are good. We've sacrificed so much, it'd be shame to have another surge of infections now. We're only a couple of months away from national herd immunity. I personally visited a 'hotspot' area in Lancashire and am glad people such as I that needed to travel could, but that the risk was mitigated.

Personally I won't be travelling out of the country, except for anything essential, until late Summer. I've a 3 night weekend booked in the Burren in June, and I think we should all expect a staycation for early summer - and/or overseas in Aug or Sept. Personally I'm hoping to travel to Greece in September for some guaranteed sun.

I travelled into the UK with no test and no passenger locator form. I think that is sh!t control by the UK. Ireland ensured that I was tested to travel back here (at a cost of £99), and tested again 5 days after arrival for free, and self-quarantined for 6 days after coming home. I think that is good control, given the sacrifices everyone in the country has made for so long.

Life will be close to normal again soon, and I think people should plan to wait another month or two for non-essential travel.

Ireland is lovely when the sun shines, explore it. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Sorry if this is asked already , we have a holiday booked for Spain in August . Trying to get all the facts before we make a decision . 2 adults 3 kids (2/7/10) . We will need tests obviously PCR or antigen that's fine , has it been clarified what happens if one of your party fails a test on homeward bound journey . Is it 2 weeks quarantine in Spain before you can retest and fly home . There's the added possibility of one child infecting another during that time also to factor in. This whole thing seems badly thought out at the moment . I'd imagine your going to situations like the scenario I just posted and families will either be unable to source accommodation or afford the cost .
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

new2tri19 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is asked already , we have a holiday booked for Spain in August . Trying to get all the facts before we make a decision . 2 adults 3 kids (2/7/10) . We will need tests obviously PCR or antigen that's fine , has it been clarified what happens if one of your party fails a test on homeward bound journey . Is it 2 weeks quarantine in Spain before you can retest and fly home . There's the added possibility of one child infecting another during that time also to factor in. This whole thing seems badly thought out at the moment . I'd imagine your going to situations like the scenario I just posted and families will either be unable to source accommodation or afford the cost .
    Thanks

I'd imagine you will not be allowed fly if you test positive, also factor in false positives which there has been a few. Another reason it is too risky to fly with kids if you don't have enough money to cover the quarantine costs should one of your kids get sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

votecounts wrote: »
    I'd imagine you will not be allowed fly if you test positive, also factor in false positives which there has been a few. Another reason it is too risky to fly with kids if you don't have enough money to cover the quarantine costs should one of your kids get sick.

Thanks it's certainly not straight forward , money is not the issue as such but I'll have to consider school aswell . So much to consider . I'd love to get away like everyone else I suppose . But they may have put too many hurdles in the way especially for families .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

This is a good opinion piece in the examiner, I’d have to agree with all of it

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40306289.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Advertisement

We have signed up to the green cert. As it stands no PCR is required after the 19th for fully vaccinated . Its very simple really

Yes and I acknowledge that you have corrected your post which didnt say that originally.
    At the moment it probably has many more destinations but it has far smaller capacity which cannot accommodate any significant increase in ROI originating passengers.

Unlikely, the maths and checking required to be definitive is more than I intend to do. A quick online search however shows;

Dublin just with Ryanair offers 114 airports in 110 cities from Dublin in July.

Belfast city offers a total of 30 routes across all aerlines in total but may not all be running.

Belfast international offers 59 routes across all aerlines in total but may not all be running.

Best case scenario for both belfasts is 89 routes. Dublin has that beat with one aerline

Advertisement