Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

Valhallapt wrote: »
    This is a good opinion piece in the examiner, I’d have to agree with all of it

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40306289.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Thank you for posting that Valhallapt. It is indeed an excellent opinion piece and I too find myself in complete agreement. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Foks any news on how the covid passport will be issued? I would assume an app.

And have the Irish Government committed to it being live on the 19th of July?

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

Booked an old dentist appointment to get me over to Spain. Nice to have a bit of life about the place

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

siochain wrote: »
    Foks any news on how the covid passport will be issued? I would assume an app.

And have the Irish Government committed to it being live on the 19th of July?

You'll need a printout or the app. Hopefully be up and running by the end of this month.

Some more advanced countries already running with it I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 10,007 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Is it a reasonable excuse to tell the Gards that you are leaving to claim asylum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

This article is an awful mouthful but after (trying) to read it twice my understanding is that Spain will accept a Negative Antigen test for entry.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/sanitary-controls-for-entry-into-spain-comes-into-effect-on-june-7-2021/

You'll still need a PCR on the way back to Ireland but antigen for the outbound flight will reduce cost a little, especially for families

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40306289.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Thats a fairly hillarious and hyperbolic opinion piece tbf - even going by comparable tabloid standards and evidently Inspired by the pint glass is completely empty school of journalism.

And it's noticeable that he (deliberately?) conflats the mechanisms to allow an extension of emergency legislation if required - with what he bizarrely believes a defacto "starving us of our full liberty until next February" to get into full rant mode.

But worse that that I think he may have borrowed some some of his text from hereabouts over the last couple of months ;)

The old downtrodden Catholic mentality beloved of some posters
    Perhaps it is our Catholic-dominated history

And not to forget the essential juxtaposition of biblical and freeman type preachings
    sacrifices we have made in terms of our personal liberties in the name of the greater good are certainly extraordinary and have already been in place for too long.
    The defence for starving us of our full liberty until next February 
    draconian powers...

Enjoyed that... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

‘Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing’ – George Orwell, 1984.

And that (the opening lines! :pac:) is where I stopped reading that nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    And that (the opening lines! :pac:) is where I stopped reading that nonsense

A quote from a literary genius like George Orwell is nonsense is it? Or perhaps you didn't quite understand it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

gozunda wrote: »
    Thats a fairly hillarious and hyperbolic opinion piece tbf - even going by comparable tabloid standards and evidently Inspired by the pint glass is completely empty school of journalism.

And it's noticeable that he (deliberately?) conflats the mechanisms to allow an extension of emergency legislation if required - with what he bizarrely believes a defacto "starving us of our full liberty until next February" to get into full rant mode.

But worse that that I think he may have borrowed some some of his text from hereabouts over the last couple of months ;)

The old downtrodden Catholic mentality beloved of some posters

And not to forget the essential juxtaposition of biblical and freeman type preachings

Enjoyed that... :pac:

I wouldn’t consider the examiner a tabloid. Them and the business post have always been braver at not kowtowing to the government line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 northcider85

I was on a Reddit forum recently and someone posted a pic of the Garda desk located at Departures (I think). Is this frequently occupied? Asking for a friend :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

I was on a Reddit forum recently and someone posted a pic of the Garda desk located at Departures (I think). Is this frequently occupied? Asking for a friend :-)

Anecdotally the gards question everyone departing (in the queue for security, haven't read about anyone being questioned post security), unless you fly very early or use fast pass (they dont seem to be there before 7 or question people who've paid for speedy security)

They are not demanding proof I dont believe but they can issue fines so your reason needs to be one of the allowed reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 pouladuff_goal

Yes in departures T1 & T2 just before you scan your boarding pass. It is often occupied.

Reports indicate the fast track T1 departues entrance is not normally monitored.

Best to be ready to explain your essential reason for travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Feria40 wrote: »
    This article is an awful mouthful but after (trying) to read it twice my understanding is that Spain will accept a Negative Antigen test for entry.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.es/sanitary-controls-for-entry-into-spain-comes-into-effect-on-june-7-2021/

You'll still need a PCR on the way back to Ireland but antigen for the outbound flight will reduce cost a little, especially for families

It still says PCR for high risk areas and we are still on that list.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Yes and I acknowledge that you have corrected your post which didnt say that originally.

Unlikely, the maths and checking required to be definitive is more than I intend to do. A quick online search however shows;

Dublin just with Ryanair offers 114 airports in 110 cities from Dublin in July.

Belfast city offers a total of 30 routes across all aerlines in total but may not all be running.

Belfast international offers 59 routes across all aerlines in total but may not all be running.

Best case scenario for both belfasts is 89 routes. Dublin has that beat with one aerline

I think you missed the vital “at the movement”!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Marty Bird wrote: »
    It still says PCR for high risk areas and we are still on that list.

Ah ok, I read it as high risk as in high risk outside EU

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭notdarkyet

Some constructive advice would be appreciated: We (both fully vaccinated) are planning on 2 weeks in the sun, leaving July 27th. The options are Portugal, Greece or Italy. Interested to know if posters on here think such a holiday is risky (if there’s another surge in cases) and which of the 3 would be least risky. Thanks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

notdarkyet wrote: »
    Some constructive advice would be appreciated: We (both fully vaccinated) are planning on 2 weeks in the sun, leaving July 27th. The options are Portugal, Greece or Italy. Interested to know if posters on here think such a holiday is risky (if there’s another surge in cases) and which of the 3 would be least risky. Thanks.

Have a look at Tui holidays they have good protection if you book with them. If an area goes red you can move etc. might take some of the stress out of it for you.

If you are both fully vaccinated your biggest risk will be from sunburn

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭notdarkyet

Thanks for the replies, looks like we’ll head to the Algarve.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies, looks like we’ll head to the Algarve.

I’ll be there then myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

rajqo wrote: »
    did anyone fly out of dublin airport recently early morning? is garda asking people where they go there sitting 24/7?

Flew out yesterday morning, no guards on approach but they were checking the documents of a person in front of T1 at 06.20. AGS on 1 desk at T1 security at 07.00 Seemed to be only asking those who outwardly looked like holidaymakers. Couple of ones on our flight who got turned at the gate for not wearing a surgical mask,they have installed vending machines for this purpose.
    Airport was noticeably busier than a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Feria40 wrote: »

Looks like you'll have to be 14 days past the date of the 2nd vaccination to enter Spain without a PCR according to that.

You won't need a PCR entering Ireland if fully vaccinated btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Flew out yesterday morning, no guards on approach but they were checking the documents of a person in front of T1 at 06.20. AGS on 1 desk at T1 security at 07.00 Seemed to be only asking those who outwardly looked like holidaymakers. Couple of ones on our flight who got turned at the gate for not wearing a surgical mask,they have installed vending machines for this purpose.
    Airport was noticeably busier than a month ago.

When did a rule about mandatory surgical masks come in at the airport? Is it an airline or the airport insisting you buy their masks out of a vending machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Wrinkly runner

Hi guy's great thread. Thinking of going to Spain in August. Wife will be fully jabbed.
    Seen today Spain will accept antigen tests.
    Are they the same procedure as the PCR test.
    I have no problem taking it,but I have a special needs child who probably would have a complete meltdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

A quote from a literary genius like George Orwell is nonsense is it? Or perhaps you didn't quite understand it?

Oh I understood it alright. I've read the book

I also understand when a journalist like the one linked to is an ultra woke fúckwit and/or a windup merchant

People like him and Irish Twitter need to stop using phrases like "1984", "Police State" and "Orwell was right!"

They look like some of the biggest gobshítes seen online in the last 16 months

And that's saying something

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Oh I understood it alright. I've read the book

I also understand when a journalist like the one linked to is an ultra woke fúckwit and/or a windup merchant

People like him and Irish Twitter need to stop using phrases like "1984", "Police State" and "Orwell was right!"

They look like some of the biggest gobshítes seen online in the last 16 months

And that's saying something

You can disagree without resorting to calling them fúckwits and gob****es

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    When did a rule about mandatory surgical masks come in at the airport? Is it an airline or the airport insisting you buy their masks out of a vending machine?

I think that's been in for a while - not so much at the airport but on flights. No fabric masks, must be at least a surgical one. That one makes sense, I think. If we're going to wear masks on planes going forward (which I think we will) then do it properly.

In other news, I have been able to hear planes around East Cork again. Cork airport was at 1 flight every second day (to LHR) over the past while, but thats picked up again to Luton, Amsterdam, Alicante... so things are coming back a bit.

And hopefully people will "remember" Cork airport exists before the airport closes September - November for the runway upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

It's been nice following along here for the last few weeks but I think it's time to give it a miss for a little while.

Currently sitting on a train, drinking Czech beer and watching the Austrian countryside roll by. Flew from Dublin this afternoon and used fast track. Never used it before but I think I'll be using it here on out for busy times, it's brilliant.

I kid you not, I reckon I had a pint in my hands no more than 10 mins after walking in the doors of T1.

Glorious.

Whatever you get up to this summer whether at home or abroad, I wish you all the very best & hope you enjoy. God knows we all deserve it after the last 14 months.

• Advertisement

M_Murphy57 wrote: »

There's no one being forced to buy a mask, airlines and the airport have made it very clear for the past year that masks must be worn.

Advertisement