Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

There's no one being forced to buy a mask, airlines and the airport have made it very clear for the past year that masks must be worn.

Not surgical ones though which was the question. Fabric ones were no problem on Thursday with Lufthansa

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

M_Murphy57 wrote: »
    When did a rule about mandatory surgical masks come in at the airport? Is it an airline or the airport insisting you buy their masks out of a vending machine?

Depends on the airline.

Some are specific as to what masks are allowed on board.

It's pretty well advertised when people book. I've had numerous emails from Lufthansa about it in terms of what is acceptable

https://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/newsroom/releases/lufthansa-group-adjusts-mask-requirement.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dmh60

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on travel into ROI.
    I'm a UK resident and want to visit a property I own in Ireland. It has been unoccupied for 15 months or so. Would inspecting a property be seen a reasonable excuse to travel?
    I'm worried that the current increase in cases will continue and restrictions on international travel may tighten rather than relax.

Also, is it criminal offence to ignore the advice against non-essential travel from abroad or is it just that; advice.
    As far as I can tell (other than breaking the rules on testing and quarantine) the only punishable offence is for Irish residents to attempt to leave the state without good reason.

Not surgical ones though which was the question. Fabric ones were no problem on Thursday with Lufthansa

He asked about being forced to buy them as well though.

dmh60 wrote: »
    I'm a UK resident and want to visit a property I own in Ireland. It has been unoccupied for 15 months or so. Would inspecting a property be seen a reasonable excuse to travel?
    I'm worried that the current increase in cases will continue and restrictions on international travel may tighten rather than relax.

Also, is it criminal offence to ignore the advice against non-essential travel from abroad or is it just that; advice.
    As far as I can tell (other than breaking the rules on testing and quarantine) the only punishable offence is for Irish residents to attempt to leave the state without good reason.

You are subject to quarantine in the Republic and that my friend, also carries a fine. Hopefully not for much longer mind you but I would say the CTA wont be opened until after the EU cert

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 rajqo

If you will fly in the airport in the ROI, a negative RT-PCR test max. 72 hours old is required before flight and a 14 home quarantine required after arrival, which can be shortened up if you take another PCR test (free) after 5 days of arrival.

If it's too restrictive, then you can fly to the airports in the Northern Ireland, where CTA (Common Travel Area) still applies and no test or quarantine are required upon entry. Free travel all across the island of Ireland. Just read an article in independent few days/weeks ago how people are flying to Belfast City Airport and then take a 2 hr train to Dublin, no hassle involved so I guess there will be a LOT of people doing it this way

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

There's no one being forced to buy a mask, airlines and the airport have made it very clear for the past year that masks must be worn.

Tbf - despite lots of information online and elsewhere - it seems even the basics at times simply don't seem to be getting through.

gozunda wrote: »
    Tbf - despite lots of information online and elsewhere - it seems even the basics simply don't seem to be getting through.

Again that wasn't the question that was asked. We know masks are to be worn in the airport and on planes. The question was about mandatory SURGICAL masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 northcider85

Just read an article on the Irish Mirror (dated yesterday) claiming travel from South to North could incur a fine

A bit from the article
    "Current Covid-19 restrictions here state that you should only travel outside of Ireland, including to Northern Ireland, for essential reasons."

I thought the Common Travel Area (CTA) applies? Is this only for testing or does it include travel to the North?

Can't paste URLs but the title of the article was
    "Irish pubs update: Warning issued over surge in travel to Northern Ireland as large fines in place"

• Registered Users Posts: 44 rajqo

Just read an article on the Irish Mirror (dated yesterday) claiming travel from South to North could incur a fine

A bit from the article
    "Current Covid-19 restrictions here state that you should only travel outside of Ireland, including to Northern Ireland, for essential reasons."

I thought the Common Travel Area (CTA) applies? Is this only for testing or does it include travel to the North?

This was talked through already at the time Republic of Ireland eased restrictions on intercounty travel, including counties of Northern Ireland. All island travel currently allowed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

From tomorrow any EU visitors to Spain who are fully vaccinated don’t need a pcr test to enter. Just proof of vaccine. Spain aren’t waiting for the travel cert

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

It's been nice following along here for the last few weeks but I think it's time to give it a miss for a little while.

Currently sitting on a train, drinking Czech beer and watching the Austrian countryside roll by. Flew from Dublin this afternoon and used fast track. Never used it before but I think I'll be using it here on out for busy times, it's brilliant.

I kid you not, I reckon I had a pint in my hands no more than 10 mins after walking in the doors of T1.

Glorious.

Whatever you get up to this summer whether at home or abroad, I wish you all the very best & hope you enjoy. God knows we all deserve it after the last 14 months.
    Any questions from the Garda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

faceman wrote: »
    From tomorrow any EU visitors to Spain who are fully vaccinated don’t need a pcr test to enter. Just proof of vaccine. Spain aren’t waiting for the travel cert

Huge positive news for Irish holiday goers

No doubt the "Spanish variant" is next though. I've no doubt there'll be one at some stage this year

But as long as the vaccines cover it, does it really matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

What proof of vaccine will they accept though? There is no proof of vaccination available to Irish people yet. I doubt that they will accept the card that just has the vaccination batch numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

siochain wrote: »
    Any questions from the Garda?

Nope, there was a bit of a queue at T1 departures for them but I didn't see how quickly people were going through. Nobody at fast track or inside the terminal after security, that I saw.

I got the bus so didn't go through a checkpoint either outside. Pretty painless really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

Up the north for the weekend. Complete normality here, hotel full, only a few token masks, swimming pool wedged, kids having fun. Some relief compared to that prison in the south, I’ll be coming up here again this summer, they can fook off with their bollox rules and staycations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Hoping Portugal do the same, they are having a review on the 13th of this month.

beaz2018 wrote: »
    Up the north for the weekend. Complete normality here, hotel full, only a few token masks, swimming pool wedged, kids having fun. Some relief compared to that prison in the south, I’ll be coming up here again this summer, they can fook off with their bollox rules and staycations.

Lol.
    Was up the north myself last weekend and beginning of this week. I'm there very regularly normally.
    Yeah, things are fairly normal, but there are masks everywhere, social distancing still in place, contact list being taken inside everywhere.
    They have inside dining, but if you're staying in a hotel, you have that in the south also, goin myself to Clare on Tues, dinner booked for inside that night, massage booked for Wednesday, swimming pool and spa open and there will be plenty of cocktails too :D

It's not so different actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Dobbytoes wrote: »
    What proof of vaccine will they accept though? There is no proof of vaccination available to Irish people yet. I doubt that they will accept the card that just has the vaccination batch numbers.

It should have your name and date of vaccination on it also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

bubblypop wrote: »
    Lol.
    Was up the north myself last weekend and beginning of this week. I'm there very regularly normally.
    Yeah, things are fairly normal, but there are masks everywhere, social distancing still in place, contact list being taken inside everywhere.
    They have inside dining, but if you're staying in a hotel, you have that in the south also, goin myself to Clare on Tues, dinner booked for inside that night, massage booked for Wednesday, swimming pool and spa open and there will be plenty of cocktails too :D

Must be just the place I’m in then because there are damn all masks, even the staff are half arsed about them. And there is no contact list. You can say the south is very similar but I don’t see the cops clearing people from the streets here with battons..well not for covid reasons anyway haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Marty Bird wrote: »
    It still says PCR for high risk areas and we are still on that list.

Nope. Ireland is a 'country of risk' and a negative Antigen test is acceptable for entry to Spain now.

beaz2018 wrote: »
    Must be just the place I’m in then because there are damn all masks, even the staff are half arsed about them. And there is no contact list. You can say the south is very similar but I don’t see the cops clearing people from the streets here with battons..well not for covid reasons anyway haha.

It's a hotel right?
    So they have your contact details #rolleyes#
    Basically it's the same, bit ott to get all worked up about the south being a prison, when they are basically the same!

You are subject to quarantine in the Republic and that my friend, also carries a fine. Hopefully not for much longer mind you but I would say the CTA wont be opened until after the EU cert

Thanks for the reply. I'm happy with the tests and quarantine. I'm just wondering if I will be allowed into the country if my reason for travelling is deemed not good enough or even worse would it actually be a criminal offence.
    I'm travelling by ferry in a UK registered car.

rajqo wrote: »
    If you will fly in the airport in the ROI, a negative RT-PCR test max. 72 hours old is required before flight and a 14 home quarantine required after arrival, which can be shortened up if you take another PCR test (free) after 5 days of arrival.

If it's too restrictive, then you can fly to the airports in the Northern Ireland, where CTA (Common Travel Area) still applies and no test or quarantine are required upon entry. Free travel all across the island of Ireland. Just read an article in independent few days/weeks ago how people are flying to Belfast City Airport and then take a 2 hr train to Dublin, no hassle involved so I guess there will be a LOT of people doing it this way

Thanks for responding. I'm coming by ferry and my main concern is that I won't be allowed into ROI at the port, even with the correct certs/forms because I have an insufficiently good reason to travel there.

Thanks for responding. I'm coming by ferry and my main concern is that I won't be allowed into ROI at the port, even with the correct certs/forms because I have an insufficiently good reason to travel there.

The reason for travelling is for leaving the country not coming in. You wont be asked why you are here

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭eltonyio

Lol.

Untrue. It's very different.

Things currently allowed in NI, for example:

• Indoor dining in pubs & restaurants that aren't hotels
    • indoor drinking in pubs & restaurants that aren't hotels
    • Flying abroad for a non essential reason to several countries
    • 500 fans at outdoor events, e.g. GAA matches
    • Pools are open

Things not currently allowed in ROI:

• All of the above

eltonyio wrote: »
    Untrue. It's very different.

Things currently allowed in NI, for example:

• Indoor dining in pubs & restaurants that aren't hotels
    • indoor drinking in pubs & restaurants that aren't hotels
    • Flying abroad for a non essential reason to several countries
    • 500 fans at outdoor events, e.g. GAA matches
    • Pools are open

Things not currently allowed in ROI:

• All of the above

Yep like I said, mostly the same. Indoor dining for sure, did that myself there last week, but it will be here in a few weeks.
    Pools are open here tomorrow.
    Hotels have pools and indoor dining here right now.
    Hardly any gaa matches at the moment anyway.

Day to Day, not much difference

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Oh I understood it alright. I've read the book

I also understand when a journalist like the one linked to is an ultra woke fúckwit and/or a windup merchant

People like him and Irish Twitter need to stop using phrases like "1984", "Police State" and "Orwell was right!"

They look like some of the biggest gobshítes seen online in the last 16 months

And that's saying something

Are your reactions always so extreme? "ultra woke fckwit," "gob****es on line"? And does it occur to you that those who disagree with you here on line could level the latter gem right back at you?

The point being that anybody who values democracy values divergent views. That is democracy after all. So whether an "abundance of caution" which would categorise the Irish Govt approach to the pandemic or a more risky "live with the virus", it is always welcoming to have challenging and contrarian views in both politics and media. And we can all beg to differ without resorting to extremes, to insults and to ridicule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭eltonyio

Yep like I said, mostly the same. Indoor dining for sure, did that myself there last week, but it will be here in a few weeks.
    Pools are open here tomorrow.
    Hotels have pools and indoor dining here right now.
    Hardly any gaa matches at the moment anyway.

Day to Day, not much difference

No, those things are quite a signficant difference on a day to day basis for a large part of the population. Either you know that and you're on a wind up here trolling the thread, or perhaps they do not matter to you as you're off getting your massages.

I'm betting the gardai in Dublin are feeling it's a bit different day to day at the moment.

Seeing as we have a mostly closed pub and restaurant sector for several more weeks, seeing as we have no fans at our national sport, and seeing that we have street chaos in our capital city, it's a pretty clear difference between North and republic right now.

But you're entitled to your view and good luck to you.

Advertisement